WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #34 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
london
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

Great hotel, clean and good design. Excelent vaue for money.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

We booked our stay online for €71 per night for three nights and had great fun, We loved the CitizenM concept, particularly the room remote, the themed wake-up alarms (the countryside theme was mellow), and free on-demand movies. I can't comment on the catering as we didnt try the food, preferring to go into town for a pancake!
The bed is HUGE and comfy. If you are planning a romantic break, his hotel is a good choice.

Transport tip - tram line 5 leaves every 10 mins(direction - 'centraal' to go into town, and 'A'veen Binnenhof' to get back to the hotel - the stop is called Princes Irenestraat) is outside the hotel. If you are coming by train from Schiphol Airport get off at $the Amsterdam Zuid station - the first stop, and take the tram - direction towards Centraal, its only one stop on but easier than walking with your case).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrickBikkit
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

We really loved this hotel. The concept is excellent, and some of the small touches and attention to detail really made the hotel almost one of the highlights of our trip. Granted, there are a few downsides, but overall they were not that bad (given the length of our stay - 3 nights).

The design elements of the hotel are great, the big bed was obviously really nice, as well as the gadgets in the bedroom (lights etc) all being centrally controlled. If i had to complain the only thing would be that the blinds were a bit tempremental, and the roller screen was very loud when operated. The communal areas of the hotel were really great though, usually one can feel uncomfortable hanging around in public areas in a hotel, but here we actually wanted to spend time in them. There is TV to watch and numerous books to flick though. The free internet downstairs was great too, although we didn't need it because of the free wireless in the room .

The food available 24 hours a day wasn't that exciting, pretty standard sandwitch bar stuff, but the breakfasts were ok... if a little expensive, but the fact that it was available at 1am after a late arrival made up for it.

In the rooms the lack of cupboard space was the only real downside, however only being there for 3 nights and on leisure it didn't really matter. We loved the unique touches, own brand toileteries, malik the party citizen on our bed, and the self service check in/out.

Overall we really enjoyed staying here, it was something different from a standard hotel and we'll definitely be looking out for hotels that add something extra to a trip in the way that this one did.

brugge
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

Fun rooms (the width of a double bed), but not for more than one night. The high-tech room is fun, again for one night. I paid over 100.00 euro and find that overcharged for the minimum service that is being offered. It feels like staying in a high-tech youth hotel. But when you pay over 100.00 per night there are better options. Especially the restaurant is a huge bummer. All is pre-packed, you take what you want in the freezer, heath it up yourself if you want to, pay and sit on a bar stool that 's available. The food is too expensive for the quality that's being offered. And almost 5.00 euro for a coffee, that's just too much. No spaces what so ever where you can relax. All is located in the hall where the 'ambiance' is that of an expensive youth hostel. If I would have paid less than 80.00 euro, I could recommend this hotel. But it's just too expensive. Oh yes, no parking spots, so I paid over 20.00 euro for a parking spot right across the hotel. And since I had to buy a "chip-card" to do so, I had to pay it cash, it can't be put on the room. That adds up to the total of the hotel room. With the food (average sushi and coffee) and parking, I paid over 150.00 euro. And that's unacceptable for the high-tech youth hostel feel they offer.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

Super Hotel, lovely staff, don't hesitate go and visit:))))

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

An excellent hotel with fantastically conceptualized rooms - air conditioned working perfectly well and easy to change, large windows, the best, largest and most comfortable bed that you can imagine, friendly staff who speak all languages possible - the guy serving me switched fluently from talking to me in english, to french, back to dutch and then german! my partner who is rather picky about hotel rooms could not find anything wrong :) its not in the city center - you just need to be aware of that but the location is extremely well connected by trams, metro, main trains and buses - what more could you want. oh btw, excellent coffee too...

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

Some of this hotel's basic features are good. My room had a great large comfortable bed, the tv is good, the place is spotlessly clean, the staff are friendly and the hotel is cheap at €85 excluding breakfast. However there are also a number of things about this hotel that irritated me hugely so I will not be returning. The concept is sort of fun but once you get beneath the surface the fun turns into a very poor experience.
I arrived late, about 10pm. I am tired so the last thing I want to do is faff around familiarising myself with a self-service check in, even when there is someone there to help. And especially when there are no queues anyway. If I want that personal touch, and make special requests - a certain kind of room, alarm call, then I have to speak to someone anyway.
In the lift there is a notice about how the experience will lift your spirits. Once I am in the room the first thing I want to do is have a shower. I am looking forward to my rainshower. However the rainshower just spits little strands of water and is not true to the hotel's claim that it is like standing in warm summer rain. So I use the handheld shower instead.
Once showered I have to go downstairs again to exchange a broken trouser hanger for a new one, and once I have done my ironing I go back to my room and prepare for bed. The bed is wonderful and big, very comfortable, and the tv is good.
There is a lot of technology in the room, the operation of which is far from obvious, and again, when you arrive and it's late and you're tired, this is the last thing you need. Turning off the lights is no easy task because once the main lights are out the coloured lights around the shower and loo are still on, and finally (even more tired by this point) I work out that you have to press the dimmer again to turn all lights out.
When I try to lower the electronically operated blackout curtain using the switch (why not have a manually operated one) I find it doesn't work. so I have to call down to reception who send someone (a nice friendly guy) to show me how to do it via the special technology console - which also operates everything else in the room - the tv, lights, wifi etc. Ok so I am ready for bed now. I place the console back in its charger and hit the sack. But a light on the console is still flashing so I have to place it in the big drawer in the bed for the night.
The "pre-made rooms", as it describes them, have a problem. During the night I was woken by creaking, loud and frequent enough to create a disturbance. It sounded like the walls and kept me awake for the rest of the night.
Breakfast. I prepaid for breakfast, saving me €2.55 over the standard price of €12.50. But: not great value. There is buffet, just some pre-selected items - yoghurt with granola, small juice, pre-packed waffles, croissant, a cheap apple, and even though I am seated at the bar it is served to me in a bag rather than on a plate. And get this: whoever heard of a breakfast package where you have to pay extra for the coffee? Excellent (large) coffee, but a whopping €4.75 for the privilege. If they have to charge, then half that price would have been fair in a hotel that claims to offer good value.
There is also a 24-hour cafeteria with pre-packed items for purchase, but the pre-packed fruit, sandwiches etc had condensation inside the packaging - not a good sign. Some sandwiches had so much condensation I couldn't see what was inside.
A couple more things about the room. There is space to store your suitcases - in the bed - but there is almost no space to store clothes, and I always like to hang my clothes up. A tiny hanging rail with three hangers - not much use if you are staying for a few days or if there are two of you. There is no space to rest a laptop unless you don't mind working on the bed. There are some wonderful big Macs downstairs, which you can use free of charge, great, but there are too few of them for the size of hotel.
In some ways - location, cleanliness and comfortable bed - this hotel is great for the price. But it is let down by some poor detail. The construction is poor to the point of being ridiculous, the technology is too complicated and unreliable - to the point of being ridiculous - and the provision of food/drink is unimaginative and unprofessional. Maybe fun as a new holiday experience, but it doesn't work for the business traveller.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business