citizenM Amsterdam
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
5,300 results
All reviewscitizen mfree moviesmood lightingshower and toiletmood padremote controlzuid stationtram stopcity centrerooms are smallhuge bedfrosted glassgreat concepton demandfunky hotelschiphol airportnumber tram
Reviewed April 25, 2014

CitizenM is located in a quiet neighbourhood, close to public transport.

We like to stay here because you can get out of the crazyness of the citycenter.

The crew is very sympathetic and always helpfull (and in for a good laugh)
The room is perfect, designy, with a perfect bed, almost better than my bed at home :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank iPot
Reviewed April 24, 2014

It's a hotel that has more focus on technology. You can adjust the light in the room in certain 'moods' for instance. And you check in to the hotel on a TV screen, with a barcode, without human interaction. The shower has sensors and all kinds of futuristic colours. And I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, but it's just not my cup of tea. When I check into a hotel I want a warm human welcome. I want someone else to check me in. And above all, when you're in the room, the remotecontrol controls everything. And it needs 30 seconds sometimes to start up. for instance, If I want the curtains down, it's done by remote. I can't do it manually. Everytime I change the light by remote control, the TV pops on with a designer videoclip and ambient music. But all I want is to change the light. The buttons on the TV do not work. The remote is the control center. And it's slow and takes a few minutes to figure out at first.
For instance, I wanted to watch the 8 o clock news, but had to wait 60 seconds for the remote to kickstart. And all I wanted was to watch the news.
And again, I'm a pretty tech savvy guy.
The hotel looks hip & fashionable, but lacks some kind of soul.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jarno D
Management response:Responded May 1, 2014

Hi "Jarno D",

Appreciate the time you took to write about your experience at citizenM, thank you.

We believe that technology can save time, enhance experience when applied in the right way, without over-using it. Reading your comments, I hope you allow me to talk through our thought process and applications.

Check-in at citizenM is done via a kiosk, just like you buy a train ticket or check-in at an airport. It takes 2 minutes and all you need is a confirmation number or your last name, no barcodes, no passport copying nor paper handling. Staff, or Ambassadors as we call here, are always available 24/7 for any help or assistance, if needed. They are not busy with bureaucracy but instead on hand for anything you might need, which includes helping you out at check-in. We think a genuine welcome isn't done mechanically from a staff who follows a procedure book, no "Good evening Mr. Last Name" here, but a genuine "hi" from a smily Ambassador is more personal.

The shower and toilet have both mood-lights, and you have to option to use it, or not, since there are wall switches like anywhere else to control other lights in the room. The entire room is controlled with a mood pad, which I apologize that took long to startup and with the TV, it should not have happened and we are investigating internally to prevent from happening with other guests. Blinds & curtains can be opened/closed electronically via the moodpad but also wall switches, which offers no barriers or learning curve.

All that said, we respect your personal preferences and understand that citizenM might not be your cup of tea. I'm again sorry for the issues you experienced with the moodpad.

Wish you all the best, safe travels and beautiful experiences.

Diego

Reviewed April 24, 2014

They charged me 10 € more on my second night without any explanation
I came one hour before 2PM for check-in: extra charge !
The room... Well in fact no room, you sleep in the bathroom/Toilet !!!!
Took many time to avoid the shower drops make noise on the floor
The window does not open, so only artificial aircon , no fresh air
The curtain let very few light in, very uncomfortable
Very cold in the room, even I put maximum heat ( display 23°C but more likely 18°C).
Nowhere to put my luggage.
The table so short, impossible to work at ease.
A room that motivate to quit asap !!! NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Kraba
Management response:Responded April 29, 2014

Hi "Kraba",

I feel sorry your expectations were not met at citizenM.

We will never charge more than what was agreed. Charges mistakes, although they may happen, is very rare. Please feel free contacting me directly anytime via citizendiego at citizenm dot com, and I will make sure to correct it, refunding any wrong charges. I apologize if this happened and will like the opportunity to correct it.

As regards the room and layout, citizenM was built for a niche on our own style, respecting personal preferences. It's one option of accommodation out of so many others out there, it's widely advertised as such with pictures and information. Our proposition is offering an affordable luxury experience with a room that's smart in size, and technology, offering free Wi-Fi & movies, an XL king-size bed with luxurious linen, a 24/7 bar and a living room to work, lounge & eat. I'm sorry if you experienced shower drops, which should not have happened. Contacting an Ambassador, we would be more than happy in finding a solution by fixing the issue, or changing your room. Same for light, room can be in complete darkness anytime of the day, or night.

That said, I'm again sorry to let you down.

Diego

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I would say, these kind of hotels are really needed.
The check-in was already a lot of fun - fully computerized.
Rooms are bit small but functional, great shower and very comfortable (huge) bed. These small rooms really encourage you to stay a bit longer in the lounge, which is a great thing indeed.
Interior is cool in every aspect, the lounge was full of designer furniture/mainly chairs, very specious, 24h bar with a good selection of snacks.
citizenM pays attention to detail: great movies selection, not many amenities but AM/PM shower gel/shampoo idea is really smart.
Staff was very friendly and not very 'heavy with the customer service' only there when you needed them.
Very close to Schiphol and easy to get to the City Center (tram no 5).

The only one negative point would be the toilet, big plus for a design but it did not provide a lot of intimacy so all the toilet moments had to be 'shared' if you know what I mean.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lc1602
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at other CitizenM hotels I knew what to expect.

I liked the layout of the room and felt it was much bigger than the Glasgow and London ones I have stayed in. Rooms were also very clean and bed very comfy. Had a lovely view of a cherry blossom tree in the courtyard.

Staff here were very friendly and attentive. Good and drinks both good and a reasonable price.

Location wise it's about a 15 minute tram journey from the main train station (Centrum), we got a GBV tram card which was good value. It's around a 5 min train journey to the airport.

Would def recommend others to stay here!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple