“Ikea's idea of the future”
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

citizenM Amsterdam
Ranked #48 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I was reluctant to book this hotel as I am not very fond of these concept hotels, I like my hotels old fashioned and I like my service (Im 24 to refute an earlier review), but I was on a business trip with others so I lost the hotel vote.

The hotel is quite away from the city center, but that was ideal for us as our business was near the airport anyways, although we did eventually go to the center (roughly 25 minutes by taxi). Upon arrival to the hotel we were met by a very jovial individual who asked us if we needed any assistance to check in ourselves, he was very helpful. The check process was as easy as can be, almost too easy. Regardless, we made our way to our rooms in a strange two-doored elevator which would confuse most people as both doors can be opened on any floor.

When I got to my room I was so surprised, it seemed like I was living a moment from an comic magazine illustration about Captain Kirk's ideal hotel. There were two amusing colorful space-pod-like structures in a narrow room. One was a toilet and the other was the shower, Just behind the shower structure was a square like double bed. The entire room can be controlled through the remote control (TV, shutters, AC, alarm, etc), and for me this made the experience pretty awesome, turned an average experience to something pretty interesting.

The alarm woke me up the next day, opened the shutters and played some uber chill music, couldnt have possibly asked for more. The most striking thing about this room was the Japanese style compactness, feels like a room in a modern Tokyo apartment.

Breakfast was below average, pretty basic, but it was the room that made all the difference here! Highly recommended for anyone wanting to try out a new experience, especially if they've been to Amsterdam before and are not too fussed about stayed right in the heart of the capital.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with kids be sure to turn the adult safety lock on as it is for free on demand...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (5,092)

Reviewed June 22, 2012

This hotel room is very compact. It is small but it is cool. The bathroom is just a closed door it reminds me of a porta potty. Amsterdam is amazing in itself. Just expensive so bring extra cash. The tram leads you to the city which is like a 10 minute ride. Visit the Heineken museum, ice bar and of coarse the red light district. There was a carnival with rides and different things to do. It is cool to visit....remember just bring extra cash it is a bit expensive.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same I believe and they seem sound proof. The king size bed white sheets is amazin...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank L B
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I booked this hotel for my (same sex) Partner & I as a surprise trip to Amsterdam where I proposed. The hotel staff where fabulous & always on hand before arrival by email & during our stay to offer advice & information on good places to visit & restaurants for good food etc,for whatever occasion expressed. The room was brilliant ! Really cool to experience with a massive selection of good movies, recent releases too. The shower was beautiful I loved the massive head in the top that covered all of you, easy to share if on a romantic break. The hotel was on tram line 5 which has stops to most of Amsterdam attractions, & nice to be a short distance from the hustle & bustle... Journey into the centre( central station ) took about 10 mins also 7 mins direct to Schipol from train st 2 mins away. The hotel where aware of my reason for stay and left a card congratulating us on our engagement with 2 free cocktails to choose from the bar I can recommend any they're gorgeous! The only negative I have is they operated a no modification or cancellation policy on my booking, I had cancelled an original booking with the same hotel with booking.com( free cancellation) so I could split the booking as I had booked an alternative 5* hotel for the night of the proposal. I was unable to split or change any of the booking, this also worried me as it was a surprise & my partner was waiting on a job interview date & it may of had to have been cancelled I think losing €611 is ridiculous especially if your canceling in good time, I don't disagree with a no show charge for 1 night! But I doubt many people can afford to lose such amounts in the current climate we are in. However this was my own fault for not reading the t&c on booking. I finally have to mention The ambience & design of this hotel is stunning. Amanda

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank mand696
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Yes, the hotel is as interesting as most of the reviews indicate. Highlights are nice common areas, free wifi, comfortable beds. The novelties (mood pad/room design) wear off quickly.
Location is convenient for public transport. There is a tram stop right outside the hotel (25-30 minutes to central station). It is also a 5 minute walk to Amsterdam Zuid train/metro station, very convenient for travel to or from the airport.

Hotel staff was friendly and happy to assist, although room cleaning staff left us scratching our heads at times...floor towel placed directly under leaky shower head so that it was soaking wet and hence unusable, maybe they didn't realize it was leaky but they should have, it was obvious to me. Also, cleaning staff rearranged some of our possessions...this was irritating as it was not necessary for the cleaning of the room. Nothing was taken of course, and we would not leave anything valuable in a hotel room anyway, but it's a matter of principle, don't touch the belongings of your guests, especially when the rooms don't have that much space to store things!

I'm still not sure what I think of the cost, it seems like a good price relative to other hotels in Amsterdam but the rooms are very narrow (meaning they can fit quite a few rooms into the building). So I figure you get what you pay for....small rooms with lots of free amenities and nice common areas.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank quatchi80
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have to say that it was a bit of a shock to walk into this unusual room. It's not like any hotel room we've ever stayed in before! However, we did appreciate its smart design and humorous touches. It was clean and comfortable (except there is nowhere to put your luggage except for one massive drawer under the bed), and the staff were incredibly helpful. The location, while not downtown, is excellent--just a block away from a tram stop and two blocks away from one of the city's nicest train stations. The tram takes 10-15 minutes to most of Amsterdam's main tourist sites. I would recommend this hotel to the budget-minded and adventurous traveler.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PassingThrough00
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We had an excellent stay in CitizenM Amsterdam. We stayed only 2 nights but it was great.
The room is just like in the photos, small but clean and with enough space. If you have intimacy problems, then it's not for you. For a married couple like ourselves it was ok since we got used to each other.The breakfast had few items to choose from.
Free internet in the lobby and nice staff.

Room Tip: Rooms with the gardem view are nicer
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IuliOlariu
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Having a 20 hour layover in Amsterdam, we chose a hotel close enough to the airport to be able to fall into bed late and be able to catch our morning flight without worrying about traffic. But this stay was much more than an "airport hotel." CitizenM is like a destination all its own. From the reception by a funny, clever staff person, to a map with all we could accomplish in a short time, to the room! Quotes on the walls as we walked down to our room, comments on the soap and shampoo, instructions for the controller in the room ( which closed the blackout shades, changed the TV channels, arranged a very funny wake-up call), to the very smart room design, we remained in a much better mood than we could have ever anticipated. I don't want to go into more detail, because it would ruin the surprise. Definitely consider this place.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are identical. A little close for two people, but great for one.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple