“Great food at reasonable prices”
Review of Eetcafe Singel 404

Eetcafe Singel 404
Ranked #60 of 3,955 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Centrum
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food at reasonable prices”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We loved Singel 404. The location is great, with tables inside and outside, right on the canal, and a charming ambience. Seating is limited, but our party of five was able to sit right away. The service was prompt and attentive, and the food was fantastic. Very creative and yummy sandwiches with plenty of vegetarian options. The house-made lemonade was also terrific. Overall, a great value. I highly recommend Singel 404 for a quick, affordable, delicious bite in Amsterdam.

• Visited July 2013
Adrie Y, Co Owner at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to visit us and write a (nice) review!
Best regards,

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Service ..”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've been to this place many, many times before, but after the last experience I think I'll better go elsewhere the for the next time.

Have no mistake. Food and drinks are great! The atmosphere is cozy, although the area outside is way too small, especially relatively to the very high demand.

So what so terrible last time? We were walking through Amsterdam on a sunny day, 14/07, and scheduled the day so, that we will arrive at the Singel 404 before 18:00, which is when the kitchen closes there. We were there 17:51. The waitress us that the cook decided that he closed for the day.
Now, except of the fact that it gets dark way after 22:00 in Amsterdam in the summer and to closer the kitchen is a mistake due to the demand (another couple came a bit after us and another group for disappointed when we left), what's the point of setting a certain limit when you don't intend to keep it? What is that for service????

1 Thank Boris E
Adrie Y, Co-Owner at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Hello Boris.
I'm sorry to hear about your dissapointing experience concerning our closing time on Sunday the 14th. We are a small (family) business and we work 7 days a week 362 days a year. We start at 08:00 and finish round 20:00.and sometimes after a real busy (sun)day when most of our homemade food is sold out we like to close a little bit earlier. Sorry for the inconvenience and we hope to see you again,
best regards,
Stoke-on-Trent
“Good.”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Liked it here, the atmosphere was nice. The canal-side chairs and tables were nice, a little jealous there wasn't one left for me! But inside was quaint nonetheless! The food was of good standard and the staff were nice and efficient. Note to cafe, though more my fault on the English menu put crisps not chips. It left me feeling foolish but also disappointed when crisps arrived with my club!

1 Thank aajsmh1
New York City, New York
“Perfect place for a casual lunch”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I had a lovely lunch here with my boyfriend and we wish we had come with a bigger appetite. We had a special-of-the-day smoked mackerel sandwich, asparagus soup, and a ham/brie/vegetable sandwich. Everything was really fresh and tasty. The sandwiches we ordered were enormous and served on delicious brown bread. There was a mouth-watering smell coming from the kitchen when we left. It was an apple crumble pie. Wish we had time to go again. Nota bene: it's cash only!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank SagittalCrest
Adrie Y, at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Hello Boris.
best regards,
London, United Kingdom
“Waste of money”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Went to this cafe based on reviews on TripAdvisor but my experience was disappointing. It was quiet when I went but still had to wait 10 minutes to receive a menu. Food was ok but poor value for money. Ordered the number 42 which had virtually no chicken and tons of goats cheese and tomato's instead. People will tell you the food fills you up, and it does but only because of the immense about of cheese they serve you. Waitress gave me the wrong change (I received more than I should), and being one to give the money back in such situations I had to wait for her to be free to tell her but she refused to even acknowledge me and I had to tell the other cashier about their error. Would say the service was poor and one staff member rude, definitely would not recommend or return. Plenty of better places to eat which offer better value for money. Homemade brownie was delicious however.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank A Z
Adrie Y, Owner at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
I'm very sorry we've dissapointed you so much, we try our best to make the best of our products and service, however taste is always objective. I will speak to my staff about the "change" incident, this is not how our customer treatment is supposed to go! Once again our apologies for the bad experience and maybe one day we can make it up to you,
Best regards,