“Service ..”

Ranked #59 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've been to this place many, many times before, but after the last experience I think I'll better go elsewhere the for the next time.

Have no mistake. Food and drinks are great! The atmosphere is cozy, although the area outside is way too small, especially relatively to the very high demand.

So what so terrible last time? We were walking through Amsterdam on a sunny day, 14/07, and scheduled the day so, that we will arrive at the Singel 404 before 18:00, which is when the kitchen closes there. We were there 17:51. The waitress us that the cook decided that he closed for the day.
Now, except of the fact that it gets dark way after 22:00 in Amsterdam in the summer and to closer the kitchen is a mistake due to the demand (another couple came a bit after us and another group for disappointed when we left), what's the point of setting a certain limit when you don't intend to keep it? What is that for service????

1  Thank Boris E
Adrie Y, Co-Owner at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Hello Boris.
I'm sorry to hear about your dissapointing experience concerning our closing time on Sunday the 14th. We are a small (family) business and we work 7 days a week 362 days a year. We start at 08:00 and finish round 20:00.and sometimes after a real busy (sun)day when most of our homemade food is sold out we like to close a little bit earlier. Sorry for the inconvenience and we hope to see you again,
best regards,

There are newer reviews for Eetcafe Singel 404

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Liked it here, the atmosphere was nice. The canal-side chairs and tables were nice, a little jealous there wasn't one left for me! But inside was quaint nonetheless! The food was of good standard and the staff were nice and efficient. Note to cafe, though more my fault on the English menu put crisps not chips. It left me feeling foolish but also disappointed when crisps arrived with my club!

1  Thank aajsmh1
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I had a lovely lunch here with my boyfriend and we wish we had come with a bigger appetite. We had a special-of-the-day smoked mackerel sandwich, asparagus soup, and a ham/brie/vegetable sandwich. Everything was really fresh and tasty. The sandwiches we ordered were enormous and served on delicious brown bread. There was a mouth-watering smell coming from the kitchen when we left. It was an apple crumble pie. Wish we had time to go again. Nota bene: it's cash only!

1  Thank SagittalCrest
Management response:Responded August 3, 2013

Hello Boris.
best regards,

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Went to this cafe based on reviews on TripAdvisor but my experience was disappointing. It was quiet when I went but still had to wait 10 minutes to receive a menu. Food was ok but poor value for money. Ordered the number 42 which had virtually no chicken and tons of goats cheese and tomato's instead. People will tell you the food fills you up, and it does but only because of the immense about of cheese they serve you. Waitress gave me the wrong change (I received more than I should), and being one to give the money back in such situations I had to wait for her to be free to tell her but she refused to even acknowledge me and I had to tell the other cashier about their error. Would say the service was poor and one staff member rude, definitely would not recommend or return. Plenty of better places to eat which offer better value for money. Homemade brownie was delicious however.

1  Thank A Z
Adrie Y, Owner at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

I'm very sorry we've dissapointed you so much, we try our best to make the best of our products and service, however taste is always objective. I will speak to my staff about the "change" incident, this is not how our customer treatment is supposed to go! Once again our apologies for the bad experience and maybe one day we can make it up to you,
Best regards,

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Came here whilst in Amsterdam with my boyfriend for the weekend. Found this place through recommendations on TripAdvisor.

Very happy with choice, price and wonderful customer service too. Would definitely recommend.

Thank your for the nice review, I will give your compliments to the staff!
Best regards,