“Best view in Amsterdam”

and 1 more site!
AmicitiA
Ranked #83 of 242 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here very recently for 4 nights and found the setting amazing, very handy for Central and easy to find which is a boon in Amsterdam. The staff were really helpful and let us stow our bags for a full day before our flight. The lounge area is great for having a drink and enjoying the amazing view of the harbour and chatting with other guests. The cabins are very small, as you would expect on a boat, so perhaps not great for a romantic couple's getaway but they were very warm, in the middle of a blizzard too! A must visit place if you are in Amsterdam for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank clareboob

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed on the AmicitiA boat-hotel for two days and loved the welcome we got on arrival, the total cleanliness of the boat, the great breakfast and the warmth (it was a cold two days in Amsterdam). The location is perfect, about ten minute walk from Central Station, right by Nemo. Yes the room was small but what would you expect on a barge and you could take advantage of the upper deck room with many tables and chairs. Very good WiFI. Honour drinks cabinet with all drinks, beer and soft drinks 1.50. Totally recommend.

Room Tip: Try and get a room to the front of the boat away from the toilet/shower area
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rsandps
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I surely recommend you staying on this boat. I was there in the last week of September. We booked a room with 3 beds, and we got a one with 4 beds. The cabins are really small (they said to us that our room was the smallest), but you have to keep in mind that you are on a boat. There are four toilets and four showers on the lower deck, where the cabins are also situated, and one toilet on the upper deck. The rooms and toilets are clean.
The breakfast is served on the upper deck and you can always find different kinds of ham, cheese, bread, vegetables, juices, milk, yogurt, tea, marmalade, cocoa cream... Surely a good start for a whole day walk around the city!
What impressed me the most are the captain of the boat and his wife. They are really nice and always ready to help you or advice where to go and what to visit.
The location is perfect - just near the Central Railway Station, and also the tram/bus/metro stations. You can also go anywhere by walking, or on a bicycle.
If you're into music - you will surely love this boat: a quality choice of rock music is always playing on the upper deck.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Zliga
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Firstly, I agree that the hosts are very nice and helpful. Roy is a very cool person and very laid back. The breakfast was really nice, love the Cruskits and cereals available.
However, what ruined it was the size of the rooms and the lack of cleanliness of the bathrooms. Our room was tiny and could not fit us both in there comfortably. We slept on hard uncomfortable bunk beds. One morning, there was a hideous smell of sewerage from outside our porthole. It ruined our morning.
I was sad because I was looking forward to staying.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!
The staff may appear sort of "friendly" on the surface, but ONLY if
you follow their dictatorship. The cabins are unbearably small and
the beds horrendously uncomfortable with every tiny noise from every
passenger amplified throughout the entire hostel (yes I`m aware that
its a boat, but still this was not my experience on other boat
hostels).
Regardless of the above, the real problem was the attitude of the
owners. Our entirely friendly and polite inquiries about possibly
leaving early were met with unreasonable rudeness, refusal to discuss
quickly followed by unjustified rage and then a physical threat to
leave immediately. We lost all of our money and felt completely
mistreated and disheartened on arrival in a new country.
After traveling around the world in many hostels I have never had a
horrible experience such as this. These are not good people running
this place. BEWARE!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luketroynar
Reviewed August 30, 2012

It has been several weeks since I have stayed here and I still struggle with how to review this place. On the one hand, the owner is extremely friendly and accommodating - he gives personalized service that is quite rare these days. You can tell he genuinely wants his guests to explore Amsterdam and have a great time. The place was clean and kept up as much as possible. The price is the cheapest you will find for a 2 person private in Amsterdam. It was nice to sit on the dock at night for a bit and have a drink. But on the other hand, sleep was in short supply during our two night stay...

This is blamed primarily on two things, the first being the extreme HEAT in our room due to the fact the only ventilation was the tiny porthole window. It was literally about 95 degrees F in our room all night making it impossible to sleep. On the second night we literally slept with our door wide open for several hours because it was so insanely hot in the room. This was in early July 2012 and it was in the high 70s outside during the day, so it had to have been much cooler at night but it was still sweltering in the room. As this is a boat I'm not sure what could be done other than installing some kind of ventilation system, which doesn't seem too likely. So prepare yourselves for heat if you are staying here, at least in the summer months.

The other problem was the other guests repeatedly entering and exiting their rooms and allowing the doors to slam LOUDLY behind them all night long. It was pretty extreme the first night but not a big deal the second so it really depends on who the other guests are the night(s) you are staying. Something to stop the doors from readily slamming shut would be helpful too.

We didn't eat the breakfast but it looked plentiful. We also did not dare to use the showers - they were smelly (as were the toilets) but this was expected as the place was packed and I believed every room rented. Since the shower was just a tiny shower closet that opened to the main area I'm not sure how you would actually get undressed, shower and get dressed again in there anyway. maybe it was fine but I didn't want to find out.

All in all this is an experience staying on a boat and all but not one I would repeat. This place probably deserves at most 2.5 stars, and I'm not sure that my travel companion would even be that generous, but I can't bear to be the one to give this place its first 2 star review. The idea is good, the heart is in the right place but the execution needs a little work before I'd consider staying here again and after two nights we were glad to move to another hostel (this was already planned before we arrived) for the rest of our Amsterdam stay.

Room Tip: Try not to have #15 - right next to the toilets/showers, there will be lots of noise and constant pe...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rebecca8238
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I just loved it ! Ok, the cabins are small but the boat is very close to the center, the owners are nice, the breakfast is great and everything was clean. I felt like home !
I will go there again if i can and i will recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple