“Could Not Ask For More”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilhelmina Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #263 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel was an absolutely wonderful find. It's about a 45 minute walk to main part of town, or you could take a 10-20 minute tram ride, as the station is at most a two minute walk from the front door. The bus to the airport was about a 5 minute walk, and the bus ride to the airport about 30 minutes from there. The staff was lovely, and more than met every request my boyfriend and I had, (we even got one more pillow than we were supposed to get). We got a room with a bathroom in it towards the back of the building (room 7), that featured a very peaceful and green view over a community area and backyard. The room itself was pretty spacious, and it was pristine each and every time we came in. The bathroom was clean, tidy, and had plenty of room to house all of our toiletries. We slept soundly, as there was not a single noise that disturbed us the entire time, (4 days). We did not opt to partake in the breakfast, (I believe this was an extra cost), but everything else was absolutely wonderful. I would highly recommend this to anyone, it is clean, friendly, and worth everything we paid.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Trouble started already right after the reservation. Communication with the management was unpleasant and they did not reply fast.

They asked for a deposit of 40€ for keys for two rooms and a full payment in advance. I usually don't mind thatbur I did not trust them because of the communication via email. Because they need the card information when reserving I am now thinking about permanently cancelling my card, so they don't charge any extra things.

The hotel is old and not clean. The staris are very steep and narrow. Our rooms were on the first and third floor and it was hard to get the luggage there.

The parking infront of the hotel was available at a good price, but the managament did not even know that. We had to ask people on the street. On Sundays the parking is free on that street.

I booked through an internet site with photos of the hotel. I don't know where did they photograph the bathrooms. The bathrom is 70cm wide and 1'5m long. The shower is not separated, you just have curtains so actually when you take a shower your whole bathroom is wet and every time you go to the toilet you feet are wet, the whole bathroom is a shower in fact, with a sink and toilet. I think they clean the bathroom with amoniak because it smells worse when they clean it.

The room is so small that when we opened the suitcase we did not have any room to stand on. I think around a double bed there is maybe 1m of room on one side and about 20cm of room on the other site.

The staff is very unpleasant and doesn't even look you in the eye when you talk to them. They are not very happy about any extra questions like for example where can we get on the tram and so on.

I have travelled a lot and I know I can expect anything so I am not very picky. But here i really advice you to find something else. The location is the only good thing about our whole experience but I think you can do better.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank inloveandtravelling
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The hotel is old, with very small rooms and bathrooms, no breakfast included and really priced for what you get. But worst of all, in 50 years that I have been in thousands of hotels, I never find one so unpleasant and regrettable hotel management. As arrived they asked us to pay in advance all the 3 nights, + extra €40 (!!!) as keys deposit + extra €165 (+61%!!!) for a third person in the room, +6% if you pay using Cards (!!!). Rooms at the third floor with no elevator, a very very narrow and very very steep stairs and an extra of €6 for each language you ask to help you.
Finally, my sons had a fine of extra €200 (!!!!) to get hit while playing the smoke sensor, with no visible damage. As I asked them to demonstrate me a receipt about the cost of the supposed damage, they refused and charged the amount of €200 on my Visa without my authorization. They really smelled like stolen money …
I definitely do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I definitely do not recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Paolo M
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel is located well, at biking distance from citycenter. So far the positive.

I booked only one few hours in advance. This was one of the only rooms left on the travel websites;

The girl at the check-in wasn't dutch and i could hardly understand her English. We also had to pay a bail of 20 euro for the key.

The room, at 107 euro, was highly overpriced, as you can get perfect 2pp-rooms hostels at a far better location at half price. Breakfast wasn't even included, Cost was another 7,5 euro. The room was at the 3td floor, notice there is no elevator.

The room itself was very small, 3,5mx4m. Spots on the roof, insects, loose wallpaper (room nmb 15). Bathroom was the worst i've ever seen. Bathroom was 85 cm x 165 cm . Toilet in the back of that narrow room, in the front is a shower, and two curtrains, at 50 cm distance. Even highjumpers can't wash themself without touching those curtains.

Price/quality the worse i've ever been to.

I always try to mention pos and cons, but apart from the location, nothing was positive here.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bart H
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Hotel Wilhelmina would soon become my favorite place to stay in Amsterdam when I go for leisure or for business. Location is very convenient right next to tram station, 5 minute walking distance to the park for a nice early morning jog. All of the staff members have been friendly and helpful. They make sure that I feel comfortable and well taken care of every time I asked for information or help. The manager was super nice and I slept well even though I often struggling with jetlag, as the hotel has comfortable beds. Overall a very good stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Went to Amsterdam recently for a short holiday, stayed in spacious twin room with plenty of room for 3 nights at hotel Wilhelmina. Tasteful contemporary decor, personal choice but we loved it. We were on the top floor with access via steep stairs. There's no lift. Not an issue for us but ask for ground or first floor if it is. Breakfast is good value with a wide choice of food buffet style. The staff are friendly and very professional (including email enquiries being responded to very quickly). Very nice neighbourhood within walking distance of Vondelpark. Easy tram journey in and out of town (tram 2 from Centraal Station).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I chose this hotel based upon my budget. I was not disappointed. We stayed for 4 nights in April 2014. The hotel is located in a very convenient area to see the sights of Amsterdam. The tram station is outside next to the hotel but walking would certainly be encouraged as a short walk is the Vondelpark. The hotel itself is very nice and I enjoyed my stay. Most certainly a boutique feel to the place. There is no lounge area but the reception is good. The service at this property was great. They are helpful and can help arrange with small things to make your stay more enjoyable. On our return to Amsterdam we will stay at this hotel. The manager was definitely the difference compared to some of the other hotels I have visited.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business