“Modern, clean and great location.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Van Gogh

Hotel Van Gogh
Ranked #144 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Manchester
“Modern, clean and great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

The location of the hostel is very good. Down a street opposite the Van Gogh museum, with a clear sign for the hostel. The staff were very helpful, we had to change rooms (because of other guests) and it was sorted out very easily. The rooms themselves were incredibly clean and modern. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm. The beds were comfortable, each guest had their own individual safe, there was a full length mirror and coat hooks, a desk, chairs and a large flat screen TV. There was one bathroom for the entire dorm, I though this may cause problems in larger rooms as the shower and toilet were in the same room. I shared with 6 people and found it worked out fine. We had breakfast at the hotel every morning, it was 5 euros and there was bread, pastries, meat, cheese, fruit, and a variety of hot and cold drinks. You could eat as much as you wanted, it was good quality and constantly restocked. The internet was free, which was great, but there were only 2 computers for the whole hostel. There are bike racks outside the hostel so if you rent bikes you can lock them up nearby. I wouldn't stay here if I was alone as it wasn't a very social place, and didn't have any places to meet people. It definitely felt more like a hotel than a hostel. It suited me though as I was with a friend and we had a great stay here!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Trefnant
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed in this hostel for three nights in August 2011. It is in a quiet part of the city in the heart of the museum, park and shopping areas (shops were too up market for us but it was nice to window shop though). Rooms were clean and of a high standard with TV, air con, toilet and shower, with free individual digital safes and wi-fi. Dont feel the need to travel all the way to Dam Square. If you walk through the Holland Casino area next to the Hard Rock Cafe you get to a lively area with good bars (The Last Waterhole) and places to eat ( De Blauwe Hollander) - Have fun!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

I stayed here for four nights and didn't sleep once. The hotel is very noisy, most of the other guests stayed in their rooms drinking all night. The walls are very thin so you can hear everything that is going on two floors below. They leave the front door open all night but don't check that the people coming in are staying in the hotel, so anybody can walk in. I didn't like this because they don't provide lockers in the rooms. There's a shelf to put your clothes on but that's it.

On my last night I went to the desk to see if I could get a private room to try and get some sleep. There was a group of Americans checking in ahead of me and I heard them being told that two of them would have to share a single bed for the night because the hotel was full. When they said they had a confirmed booking they were told it's hotel policy to overbook.

All the staff on the front desk were very helpful and nice except for the Asian guy that works during the day. I asked him how much a tram into the city centre would cost and this seemed to annoy him greatly.

Also, the lift doesn't work and like most Amsterdam hotels the stairs are steep. If you have a lot of luggage it might be a struggle to get it up them.

The hotel's in a good location, but there are much nicer places near museumplein for around the same price.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank carrolldean
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

I came across this hotel by accident as my first preference was booked and I want a clean room, this is just renovated.
The hotel is in a perfect location for my purpose - visiting museums. You can take tram 2 or 5 and get off at Van Gogh Museum stop then walk a couple minutes. It is across from Hotel Fita.
when I first arrived I thought it has a more hostel vibe. Indeed the hotel has a hostel on one side and hotel on the other side and they shared front desk and dining facility. When I was there it was quiet and I got a good night sleep. I reserved a twin room just because I know how small hotel room size can get in Amsterdam. My twin room was simply furnished with a 32 inch flat panel TV. The room was a slightly bigger than 2 beds so if you have a lot luggage this may be a problem. The bathroom was brand new also, clean with a big shower. - better than a 4 stars hotel I stayed.

The check in process was a bit slow as the receptionist was new. I like the fact that WIFI is free and throughout the hotel. They also have 2 computers for you to use. Hotel charges 5 euro for breakfast which I think it's a good value in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

I booked a room at this hostel for one night and when I arrived the booking was made for the previous day. This was completely my fault and I would not normally write a review over this however how the staff handled the situation deserves mentioning. I waited in line for 15 minutes while the Asian male clerk handled an irate traveler in front of me. During this time he talked down to another staff member (Indian Female) which I thought was very rude. When it was my turn to check in he looked at the dates said I was late handed me back my paperwork and said in a snobby tone 'you late, you card already charged, goodbye.' In my brief moment that I was there and what they will not tell you on their website is there is a pre-school across from the front door with kids running and screaming during the day hours and the hostel is under construction. Just worth mentioning. I also found another hostel (Anne Marie) that was close by and the staff was awesome.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank CoreyBaird
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

Please note that the Hotel Van Gogh is now under new management and has been completely renovated. We stayed on the opening day for the new hotel which appears to bear resemblance to the former Hotel Van Gogh in name and address only. We did not see any of the issues mentioned in the reviews of the former hotel.

We stayed in a lovely, spacious and comfortable double room, with a good ensuite, TV and free WiFi. A blown up Van Gogh painting on the wall was especially striking. The breakfast was great value with plenty of food and variety. The front desk staff, despite appearing busy all the time, were nonetheless able to help with anything we needed.

The location was excellent - right next to the Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum and anything else on Museumplein, and very close to the city by public transport. The square on which the hotel is located does contain a school, which made things a little noisy after 9:30am, but this did not affect our stay.

Despite renovations continuing on the upper floors, the hotel was kept clean and tidy and the building work did not affect our stay either. We are sure that when the renovations are finished and the hotel is fully up and running, they will be right in charging much more per night for a lovely room in such a fantastic location.

Room Tip: Nice walk to Leidseplein along PC Hooftstraat.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EJT_Sydney
Tel Aviv
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

I stayed in Amsterdam many times over the past 40 yrs.-- in basic to comfortable accommodations, but never in luxury ones. This time things looked wrong: no proper power plugs/lights; no cupboard; no drinks on request; no working phone. Worst: All valuables were left out of the safe for 24 hrs., when I asked for them!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo