“Las Vegas B&B, Amsterdam- hidden gem in a quiet residential neighborhood- I will be back.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Las Vegas Bed and Breakfast

Las Vegas Bed and Breakfast
Las Vegas Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #253 of 329 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Las Vegas Bed and Breakfast Sept 9-14, 2010. Truthfully I was nervous because I couldn't find any reviews and we’ve never been to Amsterdam (or to Europe). When we showed up, Gerrard (the owner) spent his time explaining how to use the public transportation. He provided us with many useful tips that we used throughout our stay, all while we sipped on our complimentary Heinekens. (He buys every guest a beverage at check in). Gerrard made us comfortable and he was instrumental in making our trip enjoyable.

HOTEL DESCRIPTION:
The bed and breakfast is VERY clean 2 bedroom apartment with a store front that the owner runs his business from. It may appear to be modest but the owner goes out of his way to keep all the amenities up to date. There was mini-bar and flat screen TV w/ cable, ect. He even let us use his computer to print out passes to the Van Gogh Museum (another useful tip he gave us because he told us it would save the time of waiting in line for tickets before you wait in line to get in the museum).

PERSONALIZED SERVICE:
This is a small business; it’s not a big hotel chain. We missed our flight due to an unfortunate series of events. We called Gerrard to book another night and it was clear that we were upset, defeated, and tired. He went out of his way to cheer us up, he provided us with a cheese plate and a couple of beers when arrived. We were having a terrible day and he was the reason our day was salvaged. He also knows how to make an amazing cup of coffee in the morning!

NEIGHBORHOOD:
The hotel is in a very nice residential neighborhood across the street from a school. We frequently passed cute, young families on the way to the tram. In fact Vondelpark is just a few tram stops away. I felt very safe and comfortable. Downtown and the Redlight District is only 10 or 15 min away on the #2 line. I only gave it 4 stars because some people would rather stay in the "party zone" redlight district.

BOTTOM LINE:
I will stay here again and I will recommend it to all my friends. In fact, we might go back to Europe w/ another couple in 2012 and we are talking about renting both rooms. It’ll kind of be like we are renting our own condo!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank MonicaPartenheimer

Business
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

The few previous reviews are really exaggerated. The owner is quite a character, that's for sure, but he's no creep. He was very friendly all the time and trying to make us feel comfortable. Some people may find all the small talk disturbing after a while, but considering the person has lived in the States for years, I would say it's normal to behave like that. The rooms are spacious and the hostel is located in a quiet area. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

Under NO circumstances stay at this Hostel. Me and my wife have just had a very bad experience here. We left the hostel after one night due to both me and my wife feeling very unsafe due to the frankly very odd behavior by the hostel owner. We were forced to leave when after one night we left our room to find the owner sitting in the dark outside our room. We were constantly harassed and were aware at all times that the owner was camped right outside our door. Everytime that one of us left the room to use the shower/shared bathroom we were stopped by the owner and after using the bathroom the owner would go in afterwards to check it. We stayed at the hostel for New Years Eve and after going out for drinks that evening we were questioned the next morning over how long we stayed out and how many drinks we had at the hostel when returning, we constantly felt like we were being intergogated. We felt increasingly like prisoners and not paying guests. The final straw came when I was questioned by the owner as to who I had been speaking to outside the hostel and why my wife wished to go to bed as she had been in bed all day, at this point we became very concerned as this kind of behavior to us is very strange. Luckily we were able to salvage our holiday but at the price of 180 Euros extra as we were requested to pay for the 3 nights up front. Additionally the price was altered by the Hostel owner from our original invoice adding a holiday charge and city tax to our bill which I questioned by e-mail before arrival.

The money is not our concern, what is that no other people visiting this city should ever stay in this hostel. Finally just to reinforce my point the other couple (an American couple staying in the other room) also left the day before us for we suspect the same uneasy feelings that both myself and my wife had.

Thanks and safe travels !

• Liked — When we left
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank polanski09

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels