“Dodgy dodgy dodgy -don't stay here!”
Review of Hostel Slotania

Hostel Slotania
Ranked #189 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Passports and all valuables stolen, offender obtained key from reception without any ID check. Walked out the main door with all our stuff including a safe. staff service before and after the event was disgraceful, they were unwilling to help and seemed as though they may have been involved in the incident. CCTV footage was obtained from numerous positions but they were unwilling to show us any footage. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone, chances are you will regret staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013
9  Thank travelaAustralia

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have stayed at this Hostel in 2010 .
I was surprised with the quality the friendly staff and the good breakfast in the morning.
Its not in the center of the city , but the "Tramlink" Electrical Trains were very easy to catch up in front of the Hotel .
Its cheap , clean , and had a good stay , what can I say more ?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Myself and two others went to Amsterdam for a night whilst over in Germany for an Erasmus Exchange. We hadn't got a lot of money so we were looking for cheap places to stay however when you think cheap you think dirty. We booked a 3 bed private room here for just 25 euros each and were pleasantly surprised. I dreaded the thought of a hostel and when we got to our stop on the bus (Just 20 minutes by 21 bus from Central) it looked like a nightmare. Lets just say where it's situated isn't the most pristine part of Amsterdam. However once we walked inside and spoke to the receptionist we relaxed a lot as he was incredibly friendly and helpful.

We received our key and went to our room. The room was extremely clean, the bathroom was a nice size for three of us and very modern. We had two bunk beds so the room could have slept 4. We got towels, bedding, free wifi and there was even a TV! One downfall of our room was how boiling hot it was and one of our windows didn't really open but for a cheap price you can't really complain too much. It's the unfortunate location of our room as the sun was shining on it most of the afternoon.

We also went into town using the bus, then a night bus home. It was a weekday and still had night buses running which isn't always the case in other cities. The nightbus was every hour from main station and included in our day travel ticket (7.50 euros). We were also lucky enough to leave our luggage in a luggage room at the hotel after checkout before our train back to Germany.

I don't understand why there isn't more reviews for this because it was a very good hostel. It was a bit out of town but not too far. It might be more suitable for older people but we are all in our early twenties and loved it! I highly recommend it. Definitely wish we could have stayed another night - Amsterdam is a very surreal place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lauramwhitehead
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Four of us stayed here for two nights in april paying 50gbp for the two nights. Its easy access to the city centre (10mins)via trams 7 or 14 and really did the job for us. It was clean and the four of us had a room to share and a very modern bathroom. The staff were friendly and arranged our airport taxi for us(40euro) the room was clean and the bunk beds were more than comfortable, there were plenty of plus sockets and the tv was good with music channels included. The continental brekkie was included and was good, lots to choose from. I would stay here again and recommend it.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DibDab1988
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed at the Slotania as part of a group holiday (Student Invasion). For the price we paid, and the look of the hotel from the outside we were expecting a nightmare hotel.

However, once we were inside, the hotel was lovely, everything was clean, the rooms are a great size (we had two bunk beds). The bathrooms are really clean, huge shower and everything you could need.

Really good selection of TV channels on a massive flat screen TV! The breakfast is all cold food, bread, cereals, cheese, meat etc but it's more than enough for a quick start to the day. Free WiFi all over the hotel, vending machine and loads of discount vouchers and maps available downstairs, really helpful staff.

The loaction is fine, the tram stops outside the hotel and takes 10/15 minutes to get to Dam square or central station. Perfect for the price (must have been about 25 euros a night)

Room Tip: First floor rooms were great! WiFI password is amsterdam
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank PeterStoba
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Abit ruff and ready, there was a corner shower which did not fit the position where it was located and made it difficult to access, the shower rail was coming out at the top and had been bodged up with silicone, the bathroom light was dim, felt like a 20w bulb, the shower must have been leaking as the wall on the other side was all lets say funky, and had just been papered and painted over, other than this it was ok

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here last 2011, When I arrived the key wouldn't fit in the door after 3 and a half hours later and the clerk yelling over the counter I finally got in.
He wouldn't refund my money, get a manger or even call the police. He told me to throw away the key after my stay as it wasn't working anymore.

I left a few hours later with no refund no manger no number and no where to stay.

Not even to say it is not close to the center and what seems to be a very rough area. The room was dirty and over priced as it hadn't be cleaned since the building was built.

I would never recommend anyone to stay here ever.

Left in tears with no where to stay and no money. Not my idea of a holiday

Room Tip: Don't book with this "hotel"
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends