WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Best place ive stayed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Lastage Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
De Lastage Apartments
Ranked #93 of 219 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Best place ive stayed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Having been to Amsterdam around a dozen times this was my favourite place to stay.
Im always having to look for somewhere with wheelchair access and this was the best by far.
Big rooms, roll in shower lifts etc all perfect for wheelchair user.
I stayed here 2013 last time. Went to book today for a short stay at the end of august and to find out its closed has really annoyed me.
Really hope you can re-open soon as i wont travel to Amsterdam again until you do.
All the best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Jason b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Exeter
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Booked apartments to stay in May of this year - unfortunately as others have said it didn't happen. When reports first started appearing I contacted the owners and they reassured me that they would be reopened by May. Then contacted me 2 months later to say that they would not be reopened and that they had found alternative accommodation for us.
We were a group of 16 staying and a few people who didn't know each other - the alternative accommodation that was suggested was double beds which did not suit our needs at all. I asked them could they find alternative accommodation that would match their apartments of single beds as this was one of the attractions. I was then talked to very rudely and told that they did not have to find me anywhere and they would refund the money.
The money was refunded within a few days.
I am planning on attending one of the busiest weekends of the year and since I had booked accommodation, prices had risen sharply. I have struggled to get somewhere else around the same price bracket. This would not have occurred if they had of been honest from the beginning that I needed to find somewhere else to stay.
I also lost £50 in credit card fee's due to exchange rate etc. All in all the apartments did look good, staff was helpful at the beginning but when I explained why it did not suit they then turned rude and unhelpful. We have lost out due to these apartments and I most def would not book them again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank downbelle
Isle of Man
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked through booking.com. At no point did booking.com contact me or offer me any information regarding the issues De Lastage were having. I had to do everything myself, contacting De Lastage directly.

Luckily, Thierry was very helpful and kept me updated. When it transpired that he could not reopen the apartments, we received a refund within a few days. The only downside being we lost £50 on credit card exchange rates.

I wish Thierry and De Lastage luck for the future and hope that they can re-open soon.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank FuriousGirl
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

This place needs to be taken off your list. We were told the City authorities had closed the apartments at short notice and we were left with everything booked for our visit to Amsterdam without accommodation a week before we were due to be there. We were left to find an alternative and, although successful, it was much more expensive.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank johnofthefarm
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Like so many other previous reviews we received late notice on cancellation of our reservation. So late in fact that it was on the day we were due to check in. I was travelling with my family during a time that Amsterdam was showing 85% occupancy! I ended up staying at a beautiful hotel but it made for a very stressful few hours before boarding a train to secure accommodation.

And like so many others before my booking was made and paid in full months in advance!

Save yourself the stress and avoid this establishment!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank melb101
Thierry S, General Manager at De Lastage Apartments, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Good morning,

We apologize for not being able to respond earlier, but we have been very busy with trying to re-open De Lastage.

We are very sorry for the experience you had. Please understand that this was a big surprise for De Lastage as well. We were suddenly closed due to not having certain permits, while we were never obligated to have these permits. Because of the incompetence of civil servants in Amsterdam, a lot of our guests were suddenly standing in front of a closed door.

We have relocated most of our guests ourselves, all extra expenses paid by us. Unfortunately you were one of the guests we couldn't relocate due to lack of time (your arrival date was very close to the date we were actually closed) and/or availability in one of our partner's apartments.

Again, we are very sorry. This is not the way we do business. You can see this from all the other reviews we have on Trip Advisor.

We hope you have enjoyed Amsterdam regardless of the way it started. We really do.

Kind regards,

Thierry Smagge
De Lastage
McLean VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have stayed twice before at De Lastage and loved it. I had made reservations again, prepaid in advance through the Web site, and was contacted about five days before my arrival about the problem. Terry, the manager, had already located an equivalent two-bedroom apartment through shortstayreservations.com and arranged for full credit of my payment to be accepted by Short Stay. So it was all rather seamless.

My understanding is that the city of Amsterdam suddenly cracked down on apartment-hotels, making an issue of fire code regulations. Perhaps it is a coincidence, but this happened just after De Lastage got a glowing review in a Dutch newspaper. The place is fully booked, and it must have been a scramble to try to place people while also going to court to deal with this legal challenge, which I suspect came after pressure by regular hotels.

That's no excuse for the problems that others have encountered. But if De Lastage does prevail in court, it really is a terrific place to stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Good morning,

Thank you very much for your support in this matter. This really means a lot to us.

Unfortunately De Lastage has not (yet) prevailed in court. We are closed for short stay business until further notice. We are working on some angles, but this would not work until somewhere mid 2014.

Should you return to Amsterdam in the future, send us an e-mail to find out where we stand. If we are re-opened we will surely offer you something very nice for your support. Should we still be closed, we are able to help you find an alternative accommodation.

Thanks again!

Thierry
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have a similar experiece to the previous reviews. We were already out of the country and was contacted by de Lastage 5 days prior to arrival to Amsterdam that the apartments was closed for legal reasons. We had fully paid for our accomdation 7 months in advance. The staff was not very helpful in finding alternative accomodation and we were left to our own resources. We had 3 young kids with us and this caused a fair bit of stress as we look for suitable accomodation in a busy period in Amsterdam.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family