“If you want to feel a bit rock star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BackStage Hotel Amsterdam

You added BackStage Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
BackStage Hotel Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leidsegracht 114, 1016 CT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #103 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Melbourne, Australia
“If you want to feel a bit rock star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed in this hotel on 2 different nights last month. I love it. Many things in this city are tricky to find so do learn your directions first. Download the directions to your phone first.

The rooms are designed to make you feel like a rock-star in a green room before a concert. That's how I felt. Both times I stayed in the basement and curious pedestrians often peep down into the room. I felt extra rock star when that happened. I must admit the second time I went there, the room did have a bit of a stinky BO smell to it... but I didn't complain because I could imagine at least my favourite singer coming off stage and rolling around in the sheets, somehow made me like it more. Then the drum kit fitting light covers became an absolute delight.

The rooms are clean, very clean, so were the showers and toilets. The staff were really friendly, cracked jokes, carried my stupidly heavy and giant bag up and down the stairs with the smile. Even the front door too - when they saw the case was bigger than me.

I would stay there again and again in fact I will... I will be booking accommodation there in July very shortly.

Room Tip: I liked basement room 4 better than room 3 because the shower was more private in room 4
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Swansea County, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed at the Backstage Hotel for 3 nights last weekend. I was really happy with the location of the hotel. It's very close to the museums, and only 20-minute walk to Dam Square, Anne Frank's House and everything you'd want to do whilst in Amsterdam.

The hotel was a little tricky to find, because we got the bus from the airport. It dropped us in Leidseplein, which isn't far to walk but when you don't know where you're going it does take a while. We just asked locals though who were friendly and pointed us in the right direction.

We arrived early (at around 9:30am) and couldn't check-in until around 2:00pm which didn't bother us at all. We left our luggage behind the bar (we felt it was safe enough though) and went out for the day. The staff were really friendly and we asked for recommendations for cool bars to go to in the evenings, and the best way for getting home at night, etc.

The stairs in the hotel are steep (same as everywhere else), but luckily we were on the first floor so we only had to climb one flight of stairs. Toilets and shower were shared, so in the hall way, but we had a sink in our room. I really liked our room; it was clean, had a nice tv in it, good lighting. It was basic but we weren't looking for luxury, we were looking for good location.

My only 2 negatives to say are that the hotel is a bit pricey (137 Euros a night (for 2 people)), but then it is in the centre and we personally couldn't find much cheaper. Also the walls are very thin so you can hear pretty much everything going on. When someone unlocked their door in the room next to ours in the middle of the night, it sounded like someone was unlocking our door and coming into the room! Scared us a couple of times! But actually our sleep wasn't disturbed and overall the hotel seemed quite quiet; guests that weren't there didn't exactly make a racket.

Overall I'd stay here again. The biggest pro is the location and when you're in Amsterdam for only a few days, location is everything.

Room Tip: Go for the first or second floor (if you're going to be there on a Tuesday which is their open m...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Clogher, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

This hotel was a disaster to find. The place was covered in net and scaffolding. I was convinced it was where I thought it was, but I could not see it at all, very frustrating, a sign on the street was 100% necessary. Google Maps was needed to actually show we were standing beside it.

Hotel on entry was absolutely fine, nice, modern but very basic.
Service at front desk was ok, the guy didn't seem very sure of himself and was a bit awkward but all was sorted after 5mins.

We had booked a room with a shared bathroom which we had no problem with. These rooms are located in the basement. A total of 3/4 rooms are down there, as well as 2 toilets and a shower. The facilities were fine, no issues. We were fortunate to be located directly opposite them and this was a great bonus.

The room itself was rotten with weed. Window had not been opened since it was cleaned and the place smelled awful, it did eventually pass. It was a very basic room, done to an ok level. Lighting had to be extremely dark or extremely bright. The window in the room wasn't all that accessible either and we had to stand on part of the wall to reach it. Sink worked, towels provided and keycard/security was all fine.

The beds were basically tight together, only that 2 single duvets covered them as opposed to a double. Pillows were fine and all was comfy. iPod dock was a fantastic extra for us, we constantly listened to music, TV was barely used. There was NO aircon in the room and that was a real disaster. There was a fan in the 'wardrobe' but it just pushed warm air around the room. There is one UK power source in the room and around 3 european ones, would have loved another UK option but that is a minor complaint.

Our room was not serviced after our first night, we came back and nothing had been done. I requested fresh towels and the receptionist offered to hoover the room. A nice gesture but fresh linen was the least they could do. We did not have this problem after our second night.

I picked this hotel on the basis that we were attending a gig in the Melkweg. We were 2mins away and this was fantastic however we soon grew bored of our area. We had to taxi to the places we wanted to go at night and worked out our area was only beneficial for one night of our stay. A place near central station would have been a much wiser choice.

This hotel was good and completely acceptable, the above criticisms are purely for those that are under the illusion this place is something completely different. I would not take my girlfriend here but it was perfect for myself and a friend. It was used as a place to sleep and shower and it served those purposes without any issue.

Pros
+ Better than average hotel for a good price.
+ Ipod Dock, TV, power options and free WIFI.

Cons
- No aircon
- Basement feels forgotten about.
- Proximity to the main attractions
- Any noise from bar/main entrance is sent directly to the lower rooms.

Room Tip: For shared bathroom, ask for room 3, it's directly opposite them.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank UnwellMate
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Excellent value for money for Amsterdam. Friendly staff and a cool atmosphere in the bar downstairs. The bedrooms are uniquely and thoughtfully decorated. The location is excellent if you are into music and nightlife, and you have the top coffeeshops in town about 800 meters away.

Only disappointments were:
- painters looking through our curtains at 9.30 in the morning, which wasn't okay....
- another guest drunkenly trying to knock down/ collapsing into our door at 3AM. The soundproofing isn't great either.

Overall I would stay here again, just hopefully without the intrusions!

Room Tip: Stairs are steep, but rooms close to the bar may risk noise from open mic nights..
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TomT11
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed here with friends for a weekend away. The hotel is in a great location a minutes walk away from Leidseplein square, which is full of bars and restaurants and the hotel is also pretty close to the Museum Quarter if you are more into sight seeing. The staff where very friendly and helpful and the hotel was very clean. Myself and everyone I travelled with said they would stay again and recommend it!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank N N
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

The hotel staff were easily the nicest people we met in Amsterdam. They made us feel comfortable the moment we arrived and offered to keep our bags safe before and after we checked in (and out).

They serve breakfast until 11am which is a buffet style set-up consisting of toast, eggs, fruit, cereal and yogurt. It is great if you want something quick and easy to set you up for the day.

Amazing location in my opinion. A 2 minute walk into Leidseplein which has loads of bars, restaurants, coffee shops and clubs. It also has the 197 bus-stop which takes you directly to Schiphol Airport. VERY convenient.

A 10 minute walk to Dam Square, which is a main attraction. Again, it houses a number of bars and restaurants... and the Red Light District is very close by.

The rooms were fine, unfortunately the window was broken so we had to prop it up with a wedge. We also booked our check in for 9:30am but our room wasn't ready until about 2pm, which was rather annoying after catching a 6:00am flight. Furthermore, our pillows did not smell pleasant at all (stale water/weed) but they still did the job. Slightly noisy due to the location, but that's what you get when you are central. It's the price you pay for being close - and a price I was willing to suffer!

Overall, I would definitely recommend. It was marginally expensive... but we went on King's day, so the prices were probably hiked up. This hotel is good and Amsterdam is beautiful.

Room Tip: People check out at 11am... so don't get here too early other wise you will be waiting like us...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Very friendly staff, great location, clean room and great breakfast. Cheap drinks at the bar and fantastic ambience too. Very good value for money.
Highly recommended and I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends