“Memorable unique experience”

Utrechtsedwarstafel
Reserve with
Utrechtsedwarstafel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #214 of 4,190 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, Italian, Dutch
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Description: Within strolling distance from Theatre Carré there is the stage of Hans Verbeek and Igor Sens, the two culinary artists from restaurant Utrechtsedwarstafel. Their performance is a ballet of wine and food. Indulge yourself with the culinary compositions by Igor the Chef and the wines of Sommelier Hans. An adventurous evening awaits. The concept of Utrechtsedwarstafel is straightforward and easily explained. Igor purchases the freshest produce of the season and subsequently composes fine delicate dishes for a multiple course menu. Just mention the number of courses you wish to eat.For every menu Hans creates the perfect wine arrangement. Every course is accompanied by the right match of wine. However, the arrangements vary with respect to the complexity and quality.The bare essence of Utrechtsedwarstafel is that every course is a fertile marriage of wine and food. Its fruits bear your palate a sheer joy.
Reviewed July 7, 2012

First thanks to Tripadvisor for the reviews that lead us to this wonderful restaurant. The food, service and experience were all excellent. We arrived at opening time so had quality time with Hans and then Igor before it got busier. Superb wines with knowledgeable background info and the beautifully prepared and presented food courses were a wonderful ending to our Amsterdam business/vacation trip. Expensive but very much worth it. My wife and I have eaten in great restaurants around the world and consider this one of the most relaxing and enjoyable (and delicious) experiences ever. Thanks to Hans and Igor for taking such good care of us!
Kevin and Ellen

Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear Kevin and Ellen, it was a pleasure to take care of you! I'm really happy to hear that you've enjoyed our special dining experience. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

We were a party of 8, had a fantastic
meal, taking note of our preferences. Hans and Igor could not have been more helpful. Would make the trip to amsterdam just to eat with you again. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Jaspersdad
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear Jaspersdad, thank you so much! We're looking forward to welcome you again in our restaurant!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have been here twice in the last couple months for the four course meal and both times have really enjoyed it. It is definitely expensive, but I think its really worth the price as youre paying not only for the meal but also the experience.

The restaurant is small and has a very cozy ambiance - great for dates, although I have also taken my parents here - and the owners are really friendly and make you feel at home. There is no menu, the dishes are new each day depending on what is available at market and what (I imagine) the chef feels like cooking. So you just show up and get what is served. Each course is therefore a surprise, and each is paired with a different wine. The sommelier will serve each wine and explain to you where it comes from, etc. and the chef will come out and explain each course. Things I've eaten there have ranged from fois gras terrine to tempura scallops to duck confit to fresh strawberry merringue. its all organic, fresh and delicious. I like to save this place for special occasions since its a bit exceptional, but I will most certainly return.

2  Thank kaitlinb
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I've come here eight times over several years. It is expensive, but well worth the experience. Food is always fantastic with excellent wine paired to it. food is always unique and delicious. I only wish they had a frequent diners card to encourage more regular visits.

Having eaten at "The French Laundry" and "Chez Panisse" in California, as well as other Michelin star restaurants around the world, I can say with confidence that this is the best! Don't miss it when you visit Amsterdam.

3  Thank EnergyGringo
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was a little worried about the "surprise" menu---I have become a pickier eater every year since I turned 45---finally decided that I don't have to eat stuff just because everyone else likes it. Take goat cheese. Please! I just hate it. And I really could live in a world without mushrooms and capers. But I digress. We went to this restaurant because an Amsterdammer friend took us on her expense account. We had the four course option. IT WAS FABULOUS. My aversions were honored without obvious disdain. But I can hardly tell you what we had because the wine pairings were so good that I drank too much and don't remember the food in great detail. I remember the first course because i was a little afraid of it---a cold concoction with shrimp and crab and scallops, two of which I love and one of which i could easily never have again. But it was divine. Then we had fish, a small piece of a white fish with a phyllo-pastry-filled thingy on top, then thin-sliced beef medium rare in a mushroom and cabernet (? maybe some other grape, but definitely a red wine) sauce, with lovely delicate root vegetable casserole (yes, root veggies, delicate! Only possible if you don't cook them a second too long or too short). Dessert I can't remember. By then the dreamy wine pairings had me in the clouds. I do remember the dessert was vaguely peachy and the wine vaguely apricotty.
We go to Amsterdam maybe every 5-8 years, so we'll be looking for this restaurant again. I know I can find it, because I looked for it on foot the next day and did locate it. So I couldn't have been TOO drunk the night before.

3  Thank scdaub