WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Prego Restaurant

Prego Restaurant
Ranked #701 of 3,555 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, Italian, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Prince Edward County, Ontario
“A bad start but good ending”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Prego was recommended to us by our B&B owner, Francois at Posthoorn in the lovely Jordaan district of Amsterdam. We walked there on our first night in Amsterdam to be told at the door that they were fully booked and when we asked if they could recommend another restaurant, the owner said "no" and ushered us out the door rather unceremoniously. We told our B&B owner the next morning about this experience and he said he would phone them and get it straightened out. We had reservations for that evening and were so warmly greeted that I thought the owner was going to embrace me when we walked in. He was most apologetic for the previous experience.

The rest of the evening was a great experience. The food was just outstanding - I had the first wild duck of the season and my husband had an amazing roasted cod on a bed of homemade linguine. The service was very friendly and very good. Our server had a terrific knowledge of wine and served us an excellent Hungarian wine. We are very fond of Hungarian wines.

We would absolutely recommend this restaurant but would caution anyone to make a reservation before showing up at their door

• Visited October 2013

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best restaurant of Amsterdam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Not many comments, always when we are eating here, the food is delicious. Great service and Danny is the best chef cook.

Nenad and Frits Amsterdam

Visited September 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“First class food & service - go there!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled upon Prego during my visit to Amsterdam. The two owners could not have been more attentive & aware of customer care despite having a table of 16 to look after. The food was excellent with smoked mackerel to die for, mussels soup & baked halibut. Wine choice was superb & I left it to them...they know their wines best ..did not disappoint.

I was so impressed that I watched the brothers work the room..working hard to ensure that everything was just right. When I had to leave prematurely, they got a map out to show where I was headed and ordered me a cab.

I was very impressed....wil return

Visited August 2013
“Good not great food, slow service, deception?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Smoked duck salad -didn't detect any 'smoke', risotto good. Wanted to try dessert, but service was so lacking we gave up. Also, when ordering glass of wine, we and other travelers were directed to 'the list' whereas 'locals' were offered house wine and the list. Somewhat disappointing evening after so many great experiences in AMS on this trips and others

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Lovely place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Prego (not an Italian restaurant!) is a small privately owned and run restaurant in one of the nicest parts of town. Food is great, prepared with love, including some original dishes. Yesterday I had liver, which you don't find that often. Great! In addition Prego has an interesting wine list. Carefully chosen, original wines from different, mostly classical wine regions across Europe. I had Kékfrankos with my liver. Atmosphere is very good, and people are really nice. Place to go.

• Visited August 2013