“Hurry up! We are watching you!”
Review of Meghna

Meghna
Ranked #1,008 of 3,814 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Hurry up! We are watching you!”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We went into this restaurant at around 1700 for a nice sit down meal and exchange of gifts around Christmas. At first the staff seemed a little over zealous in their eagerness to serve, asking what we wanted 3 times before we had decided! My first assumption was that as we were in rather early they were perhaps bored and thus merely keeping occupied in an albeit overbearing manner. The food arrived swiftly and the staff were accommodating in helping us with the menu. The food was of a good standard and at that stage I was satisfied.

Then things got a bit odd! As soon as one dish was finished, literally within a few seconds of the last scoop being removed it was whisked away. My glass of beer would barely be returned to the table from the last gulp before being taken, giving one the feeling that they were constantly being watched! This was not just evidenced by the quick removal of empties but also whenever I glanced up I saw my place being visually scanned and made occasional awkward eye contact with my watcher! Whilst this was annoying, I thought it was the case that they were just really keen on quick service so I forgave it. We ordered deserts which came quickly too and we exchanged Christmas gifts under the gaze of the bar. When another couple came in and were turned away as the larger tables which were all empty were reserved (I guess) I realised they wanted our table-for-two free again before the evening rush to maximise customers. We were offered the bill mid gift exchange, I went to the bar and paid. With the bill paid the watching intensified to the point where I was tempted to tell our observer just to pull up a chair and join! My partner then texted my mum to thank her for her gift under the now constant gaze of the man by the bar. Eventually we took heed and escaped to the privacy of a near by cafe! I live in this city, I have eaten in this place once before and I love Indian food but found this to be too annoying and wont return!

(For the record I am a person who has never felt the need to avoid a return to a place for this reason before, nor do I have any psychological dispositions which may lead me to imagine that I am being watched, although on exiting this restaurant I could start to imagine what such a condition might feel like!)

• Visited December 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent World Class Indian Food!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We loved this restaurant! We are fussy Indian food eaters and were worried about trying an Indian restaurant in a different country. One of the local Amsterdam magazines highly recommended Meghna and we took the advice. We had a variety of wonderful curry and vindaloo dishes, the staff were very attentive and helpful with menu selection. Our table was cleared promptly and we enjoyed the cozy neighborhood atmosphere.It is not in the busy districts like Red Light but it is worth the short walk to get to.

• Visited August 2013
“"Delicous indian food"”
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

This was a great find, staff were friendly and very attentive. Food was a great price compared to other's around. Delious, light indian food.

Ridgewood, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,668 helpful votes
“Very good Indain dishes”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I especially recommend the lamb dishes. The service is very good. It is off Rembrandtplein and has been in the same location for 25 years. Nuff said--try it.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank LWL3333
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Small restaurant but great food and good value for money. Very busy all of time we were there reflecting popularity. Service was surprisingly quick and when the food arrived we were not disappointed. Heat of curry as requested.

• Visited February 2013