“Average food, not really worth it”
Review of Meghna

Meghna
Ranked #970 of 4,227 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Simple restaurant, staff is ok. Hoped the food would be great, but it wasn't. We had a chicken curry which was OK, but not memorable and certainly not as good as some other Indian restaurants in Amsterdam. Other dish was shrimps with garlic, red pepper and onion which was also nothing special. The food missed the rich taste which you expect from the Indian cuisine. It was just spicy, but definitely missed FLAVOR. Even the garlic Naan (Indian bread). Also the mango lassi (yoghurt drink), I have had better. Quite a disappointing experience. If you want a quick bite, it's ok I guess. Next time I go to Koh-i-Noor and see how that is nowadays, because I love Indian food.

Reviewed November 30, 2010

I love Indian food especially chicken tikka masala. I eat tikka masala everywhere I go. I searched online for Indian food before going to Amsterdam. I had marked the restaurants "Koh-i-Noor" and "Majur", on the map for myself to go. But either they were close for lunch or I was at another destination for dinner. Anyways I made my way to Meghna for dinner because it was close to my hotel. I asked for chicken tikka masala. I didn't like it. Service was okay, atmosphere was fine but if chicken tikka masala is not good then the restaurant is not good for me at all. I am not Indian but I have eaten "ctm" a lot in different countries. As far as I know the dish I have been served wasn't the real "ctm". Meat was barbequed but didn't have its unique creamy sauce which is made with yougurt. I asked the waiter if the dish was ctm. He nodded that it was ctm. I have experienced it before at different places. They claim that there are doing ctm from different part of Indian?¿ I don't believe in this answer so I didn't ask more to the waiter not to hear this answer. Finally, not a bad place but not for me. In my opinion Chicken Tikka Masala has to be done properly. If the ctm is good then the rest will be good :)

1  Thank tunca
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Used to live quite near this restaurant years ago - had dinner there almost weekly. Now I have moved away, but when I find myself in the neigborhood, I make it a point to have dinner there. Still great, still friendly people.

Reviewed April 30, 2010

Ate there twice, really good. Walked in off the street and got served immediately. Very friendly and attentive. Large portions, and received extra vegetables both times without asking. Tried different items both times, but liked the lamb dishes the best.

Reviewed September 28, 2009

We've been to several Indian eateries in our 21 months here, and this one is the best for important reasons - food quality and service. None of that plodding, slow service you get with so many other places in Amsterdam. They are attentive without bugging the hell out of you while you try to enjoy the experience. The food tastes really good, and the sidewalk watching can be really interesting and entertaining as you are not too far from Rembrandtplein. Plenty to choose from on the menu - I am partial to the butter chicken and mater paneer.

1  Thank John D