“Contiki Tour “Cultural Experience””

XO Hotels Blue Square
Ranked #164 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Best Western in Amsterdam was rather small, but you can say they used the space well.

The washroom was very small whereas you could brush your teeth and sit on the toilet at the same time... a little too close for comfort.

The beds were amazingly comfortable for me! I love big pillows.

The food at the hotel for breakfast and dinner was VERY basic. I’d say dinner was whatever you could get out of a frozen food box or bag.

1  Thank Barbara1988
Write a ReviewReviews (2,021)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was my first day in Holland. Upon arrival was given the password for wi-fi but told there were problems with the network and in the meantime I could use the lobby computer. The wi-fi was down the entire 24 hours I was there, and needless to say there was a line of people waiting to use the single computer in the lobby (there were two, but one didn't work!) Since I was there as a touring musician, I needed to have a network connection...especially since I had received a phone message that my next night's hotel was cancelled and I needed to find a room in the next city I was headed to. I asked if there was a place nearby for wi-fi and was told there was an internet cafe right across the street. Wrong! Walked a block in either direction and no internet connection in any of the restaurants or bars. My music partner asked where he could exchange money for Euros and was told of a Western Union office down the street. Wrong again! Both of us were frustrated at lack of information, and none of the girls at the front desk seemed to care. We weren't the only ones...I witnessed many unhappy customers arguing at the front desk while walking to and from my room. The location wasn't great. Not near the city...although you could buy a pass and the front desk said the station was a short walk away, I didn't trust their information after the first two experiences. It was also a very noisy stay...I heard doors slamming constantly and people talking/walking at all hours in the hotel. Both of us were on the first floor so I don't know if it was any quieter on other floors. I have no complaints about the room itself. It was clean, all the amenities (hair dryer, coffee/tea service, large flat screen tv in room with a few English channels) and a very comfortable bed. I didn't buy the breakfast, it was a bit on the expensive side and I didn't see anything that was worth it...I basically just wanted coffee and a croissant until we got on the road and could find a real restaurant. If you just want a cheap place to stay, don't depend on wi-fi connections and don't mind having to take a tram to the city, this could be the place for you. Myself, I will not be staying here again. I've already booked rooms into a city-center hotel for September and gladly payed more for it.

Room Tip: Try one NOT on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sarana919
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel at the end of our tour package so didn't get a chance to preselect but was pleasantly surprised. Rooms were spacious (we had a double twin), very clean, and the hotel lobby/amenities seemed updated. The included breakfast was good and had long hours which was a plus.

This location does take about 20 minutes to get to/from the center of Amsterdam via a direct tram but the tram is literally right outside the front of the hotel which is nice, but I do think staying more central (as we did for the last night) is a huge timesaver. It is on a quite street and there are some places to eat and even a market and ATM which can be convenient. So, if you don't mind making the trek out to the center each day (and back) then this is a great place to stay.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Nice little hotel, bit far out of the city though. Rooms were very tiny and quite noisy as the doors always slammed and sounded as if someone was trying to get in your room at times. But they very clean and the beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was very nice, wide selection to choose from, staff were okay, not the friendliest hotel staff i've encountered, but can't expect much for the price.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed here for three nights. The staff was friendly and helpful. This hotel is located a short walk to the metro line, and only takes 15-20 minutes to get to the city center. My room was clean and the hotel was quite. Most importantly to me as a single female traveler was the safety I felt in this hotel. This hotel is no frills and basic so if you looking for that I would recommend this hotel. I enjoyed my stay

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 16, 2013

hotel was great very clean staff lovely tram at end of the street nice cafe round corner buy 3/4 day tram ticket which is great brings u from airport to hotel and into amsterdam every day n back airport ...Not happy about being charged xtra money. When i booked it was £285 but when 6% vat was added and then 5.5% city tax and prob a fee it bounced to £336 an xtra £51. The bill was taken out of my bank 4 days after i came home. So wont be booking with easytobook again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple