Last 2 weeks I spend in 2 Best Western hotels in Amsterdam: Blue Square and Apollo Museum.
I'm really astonished how come those 2 hotels which basically cost the same can be rated even close to each other on trip advisor.
I'll put here a short comparison of those 2 hotels.
- Blue Square - this is the biggest problem of this hotel. It looks from outside as a cheap hostel, definitely not as Best Western Plus
- Apollo - nice, old building enlighten in the evening as a tourist attraction
- Blue Square - little better than outside but the image of hostel is still present, way too much plastic used
- Apollo - looks just good, not too fancy, not to ascetic.
- Blue Square - the room is bigger than in Apollo but it looks old (not in good way) and cheap, the bathroom wasn't exactly clean (it was not dirty but it needs some cleaning which you don't do every day - f.e. fugues). I don't know who designed the layout in bathroom but to take toilet paper when you seat on the toilet requires acrobatic skills.
- Apollo - the room is quite small (at least the one I got) but what you can expect from old building. The room design is really nice - you can feel Scandinavian touch in the design here. Bathroom also looks much better than the one at Blue Square. It's equipped with thermostatic shower mixer. The only pain point here is water leaking on the floor from the shower (it wasn't broken it's just made this way).
- Blue Square - really good internet connection and not-bad TV
- Apollo - the internet was sometimes very slow (you need to pay 8EUR extra per day if you want faster internet), more TV channels than in Blue Square (f.e. Discover or ComedyCentral - both in Dutch version but 99% of the time it's still in English with just Dutch subtitles)
- Blue Square - own underground parking for 15 EUR a day
- Apollo - no own parking, you can on the street right outside of the hotel (no problems to find parking places) or in underground parking 300m away. Both will cost you more than 15 EUR for sure (4EUR/h 9-24 during week).
both hotels costs ~60EUR per night with breakfast paid separately (~10EUR).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Blue Square is an environmental friendly hotel and has a Green Key Silver status. The hotel takes its name from the striking building in which it is located. The building was designed by architect Van Gool and dates from the seventies. Van Gool has laid down that the building may only be painted in the characteristic blue color. All 175 rooms are spacious, soundproofed and equipped with air conditioning, free Wi-Fi and free coffee/tea facilities. You will find comfortable rooms with many amenities so that your visit is an experience that you would want to repeat. Whether you are staying in Amsterdam for business or looking for a destination for a short break, this hotel is the perfect start to anyone visiting the city. We are located near the exit of the A10 S104. In just 15-20 minutes you are in the city area of the centre of Amsterdam. Schiphol Airport, the RAI Convention Center, the port and Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (cruise ships) can be reached within 30 minutes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your BEST WESTERN Blue Square Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Best Western