“Best place to gor for birthday cake when in Amsterdam”

Chocolaterie Pompadour
Ranked #12 of 106 Dessert in Amsterdam
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Best place to gor for birthday cake when in Amsterdam”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Get some chocolates in this lucious establishment, or better yet: go to the tearoom in the back and order a big pot of tea and a couple of wonderful cakes from the showcase in front, and take your time enjoying it. (I love the chocolate merengue!). It's like stepping back in time, enjoying luxurious sweets in the 17th century, very baroque, very nice, so don't be rushed!

• Visited March 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Great chocolate, not so much the coffee”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you're going here just for the chocolate, it is perfect. The desserts look impeccable and taste fantastic. If you're eating in, the place is very cosy and relaxed so you should enjoy it.

From where we were sitting, I could see them make coffee. I was interested in ordering a cappuccino, however as I watched them make other orders I noticed two big mistakes IMO. They didn't clean the steam wand after using it, and they re-heated milk that was left over from previous orders. Note that I believe they also use the steam wand to heat milk for hot chocolates as well as coffee, so keep that in mind

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Delicious”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Had a wonderful cappuccino here after a morning of shopping. the cappuccino was served with a delicious little Madeleine-cake. After I finished my cappuccino I decided to treat myself to some chocolates. Bought 8 bonbons and they were all very tasty, not too sweet. It was quiet when I was there but I wonder how the two ladies who work here deal with a more crowded place. They did not seem to rush at all. However, they were very friendly. Next time I'll try some other chocolates or maybe some pastries.

Jacksonville, Florida
“Very good Macaroons but awful service.”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The macaroons were fantastic but I had to wait 10 minutes to be served.
There appears to be only two very friendly ladies working here, so that means when one is serving tea, there is one person to handle all other tasks.

I entered the store and immediately saw what I wanted. Stood by the cash register and waited and waited and waited. The women working the front of the shop was carefully gift wrapping a bundle for a customer. She did so for 10 minutes while at least 8 people who could barely move due to the confined space were not even acknowledged.

So great desserts but you must be willing to wait.

Blyth, United Kingdom
“Simply Delicious”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

On a recent trip to Amsterdam we came across this wonderful place for a coffee and a delicious cake. There was so much to choose from it took us ages to make a decision. Once made we weren't disappointed.I opted for a chocolate orange florentine which was the best I've ever had. We had a second cappuccino each as it was so nice. Everything was beautifully presented and the establishment very clean. Can't wait to go back next time we are in Amsterdam.