“Delicious food and helpful staff. ”
Review of Oriental City

Oriental City
Ranked #388 of 4,134 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We've eaten here a couple of times. The menu is a bit daunting as there are several different languages and lots of options. The shrimp chips are delicious. Like massive prawn crackers. The dim sum and prawn soup are also good.

I really liked the constant refills of jasmine tea for only 1.80 EUROS.

Ideally located for eating in central Amsterdam, the staff and welcoming and friendly. We didn't feel rushed to finish and when we commented that we were stuffed the waiter joked that it was a holiday and therefore allowed!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Lovely, and a bit upscale, restaurant with great food, atmosphere and friendly staff in the heart of Amsterdam. A bit pricey ($130 for two appet., entrees and a split of good red wine) but worth it. Save for "last night" dinner. Really enjoyed, would go back again.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Oriental City has the most fantastic dim sum, freshly made to order 7 days a week from noon until 5pm. There are many specialities which are not on the english/dutch menu - ask the waiter to assist you in making choices from the chinese menu.

It is wise to make a table reservation on Saturday and Sunday as the restaurant is always full on those days (350 seat restaurant spread over 2 floors) and otherwise you will have a very long wait.

In the evening the restaurant specializes in seafood. Also excellent

Reviewed January 5, 2014

After a good meal here early in our trip to Amsterdam we went back for a second on our last night. Admittedly, the service was a bit rushed the second time but the food was lovely on both occasions and we liked the size and atmosphere of the place. There were plenty of Chinese people which is always good to see! We had the 'Oriental Pearl' set meal for two which was 28Euros per person for dim sum, satay chicken and prawn, and two lovely main dishes with rice. The dim sum are apparently made fresh every day (which I hear is rare in central Amsterdam Chinese restaurants!) and they were certainly delicious. It is in a great location and overall we spend two fantastic evenings there.

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant showed promise as it was big with plenty of patrons. Unfortunately this was the WORST Asian food I have ever had. First of all, the staff were very rude and dismissive. Then our entree of spring rolls arrived and had a hair underneath one. We tried to get the waitresses attention to order some more drinks but were ignored several times. Then our mains came and mine had yet another hair in it. Besides the hair, the meal was very bland and I'm sure the chicken wasn't authentic chicken....... My friend had ordered pork which was mostly raw. I have worked in hospitality for many years, so I always speak up if something is bothering me as it is usually easily fixed. However after the poor service that we had received, I didn't even think it was worth the effort. On top of all of that, the meals were incredibly overpriced. With so many wonderful food options in Amsterdam, I would avoid this place and spend your money elsewhere.

1  Thank ellejay2011