“Great night, great atmosphere, great food, great price.”
Review of Oriental City

Oriental City
Ranked #359 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Right in the heart of Amsterdam City and just a short stroll from Dam Square, the location can't be faulted. The welcome was warm, friendly and genuine. There was a party happening on the next table for a large party of Chinese people, which added to the atmosphere. We were served quickly and efficiently, but without seeming rushed. When the food arrived it was good and plentiful and the prices were certainly reasonable, we paid 20 -22 Euros each for 2 courses + a glass of wine each. Give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed

There are newer reviews for Oriental City

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Good, if average Chinese restaurant with somewhat distant serving staff

The food is very good, my only critism is that the set menu does not include aromatic duck and pancakes (one of my passions). Having said that the range was great

Good canal location (what isn't in the middle of Amsterdam) within walking distance of Dam Square or Rembrantsplein and next to the red light area

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We return to this restaurant whenever we are in Amsterdam. On 1st November we returned from Inverness to Zurich via Amsterdam and made it a point to make a visit to this restaurant which we know from the 1980ies! Its dim sum is good and reasonably priced and the quality has always been high! Service is friendly and when you sit on the window side you look down to the busy street and bridge which lead to the Dam square! The choice of dim sum dishes is good and the waiting time is reasonable. We will go back on our next visit to Amsterdam!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We went to the Oriental after walking out of another restaurant and were starving. We were quickly seated, order taken and served. Food was delicious and plenty of it at a reasonable cost.
It actually worked out at about €23 per head for starter, main and wine. The restaurant is in easy walking distance of Dam Square and the Red Light district and easy to find. Give it a try if you are in Amsterdam.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had a very satisfactory experience here. I didn't plan to eat Chinese food in Amsterdam but the dim sum was surprisingly delicious. No wonderful my local friends only have their weekend tea time here.

It is obviously a popular place. We got there at 2pm but still had to wait for 20 minutes to get a table where oversaw the bridge over the canal. I went for my usual staff like Congee, dumplings, chicken feet etc. The price was a bit higher than we pay in Chicago.

The food was very authentic which was absolutely perfect for me as I missed the real Chinese food for about two weeks. The service was quick and friendly. And I was told it is no necessary to leave the tip.

Also try out the Chrysanthemum tea if you could. It goes so well with the dim sum.