“Too Expensive” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Stockholm, Sweden
“Too Expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

This hotel is located a short walk from the metro station and it is easy to get to, even though it is outside of the city. Seemed to be in a safe area and was quiet at night. The rooms were clean and spacious. The internet was expensive and so was the food. This hotel is just an average place, nothing luxurious - it is overpirced for what it is.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NowBoarding05
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Dear Ms Watts,

Thank your for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I would like to use this opportunity to reply to your comment about the expensive internet. From the 1st of January 2011 we offer our WIFI internet for free to our hotel guests. The cost for ADSL are €5,95 per day. Guests can also make use of one of the four computers in our hotel lobby for free. We regret to learn that you were not informed by our staff with this information. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

With Kind Regards,
Novotel Amsterdam City

Remco Groenhuyzen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Uppsala, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

The hotel is located outside the city in-fact, just on the A-dam ring. If you are by car it's a great location (because you can park a car near the hotel for free at night, but hotel's parking costs 20 eur / hight or more, don't remember), but if you are without car it would be really comlicated to get to city center. A room was very basic, clean, but not cozy or really comfortable. Public areas and lobby are really impressive and modern, there is free internet in the lobby, but in room only with charge. Breakfast was pretty good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

This hotel wins my vote every time for the unsurpassed and professional attitude of its staff. I stayed two nights and was met on each encounter with pleasant and discreet service. They also arranged for my lost property to be forwarded very quickly! I would definitely stay again.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

If you're coming to Amsterdam to visit the city, please choose another hotel.

However, if you're attending a trade show at the RAI of Amsterdam, this will be the hotel you want to go for.
It's a 10 minutes walk to the RAI with the station just in between the two.
The room I had was very clean and comfortable enough. Not very spacious but I spent there only a night (arriving after midnight and leaving before 10 the next day) so it was spacious enough.
The staff is VERY friendly (and I can be quite picky when it comes to that), for some, it might seem a bit "too" friendly.
The lobby and bar/restaurants are very clean too as well as design and modern (unlike the floors that still feel like you took a time machine and ended in 1975). The outside of the hotel also offers absolutely no interest whatsoever, but then again, you don't go there for the leisure.

Continental breakfast is very good too (and here again I can be VERY picky).

I have no idea of the price since I had to stay there on a business night and it was all paid by my company but in any case, it is a hotel I would recommend if you're there only on a business trip and aren't planning on leaving the RAI/hotel very much.

BUT, as much as I would not advice this hotel if you want to visit the city, it is very easy to reach the heart of Amsterdam by simply taking the train from RAI station to Amsterdam Centraal and go to a nice restaurant, spend the day or go for a drink.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Rio de Janeiro
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

This novotel is not at the best location if you're a tourist. Next time, I'd prefer to stay close to tourist area, although tram 4 is just next to the hotel and in 20 min you're in the main streets of Amsterdam. So if was not a huge problem after all. The only thing is that it has no restaurants around and you get to eat at the restaurant of the hotel, which was reaaly nice. Too crowded because there is a conference center nearby, but they managed to serve very efficiently. The staff eas very helpful. We arrived in the middle of a blackout in he whole block and they did their best to accomodate us. The elevators worked and we just stayed in our rooms until the lights were on again. My niece was sick when we arrived and one of the staff people, jayme was very nice trying to help us. He was very concerned and asked how she was the othe days and offered to help if we needed anything. Very nice of him. Also a Brazilian man of the staff, Ruy I think, was very nice and helpful. The blanket of the pull-out sofa bed where my nephew slept was very dirty, obvioulsy not changed since the last guest. I complained with him and took note of that to verify it. I think they should pay attention more carefully to the cleaning of the rooms because of this. I'm sure this is not a regular event in this hotel. Wifi internet was free of charge which was very nice and unusual for a novotel. I'd like if other novotels would do the same. Breakfast was very good!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

I stayed at the Novotel Amersterdam City for a work conference in October 2010 and it was lovely. The rooms were spacious and clean, with all mod cons. They were cleaned daily, and the staff could not have been friendlier. When I first checked in, my room smelt of smoke (despite the whole hotel being non smoking and signs being on the doors) so I asked to switch roms. The staff could not have been more apologetic (even though it wasn't their fault!)and moved me immediately.
The conferencing facilities were excellent.
We had a buffet dinner one night and a set menu the next; all the food was really delicious and nicely cooked. Breakfasts were also great - huge choice and good quality.
The only negative for this hotel is that it's not in the city centre. It's only about a 5 minute walk to the trains/trams so is very easily accessible from Schipol or the City, but you do need to take a train to get in - it's about a 15/20 minute tram ride. In the evenings, we took taxis which cost about €30.
Overall, highly recommended for conferences/work; but personally if I was a tourist in Amsterdam I would want to be closer to the city centre to avoid having to take taxis or public transport to get around.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Gurgaon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights at this Hotel. The hotel was booked by my host in Amsterdam and I thanked them for making this choice. The hotel is very conveniently located near the railway stations, easily accessible by road and also by train from the Schipol Airport. It is easily connected to the heart of the city through bus & trams. Therein lies the beauty of this hotel, it is close to the city and yet slightly away for you to enjoy peace. The rooms are spacious and good & tastefully done. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were very courteous and always available for any service. The options for breakfast & dinner were quite a lot, even for vegetarian like me. Fortunately I met an Indian cook from Punjab, who could chat up with me in Hindi/Punjabi and made dishes suiting my Indian taste. The rates for the stay were very good (Euro 135/night) though the food was a bit steep (Breakfast @ Euro 21)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ansh9899
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Dear Mr/Mrs,

Novotel Amsterdam City very much appreciates your positive comments regarding your stay in our hotel. We are delighted to read that you appreciate our staff, features our breakfast and diner as various and emphasize the good accessibility to the City Centre.

At Novotel Amsterdam City we strive to provide you as our guest personal service. We are happy to hear that our Indian Cook gave you this helpful and warm feeling. We will share this comment with him in person. Positive feedback from satisfied guests is our greatest reward – thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel Amsterdam City.

With Kind Regards,