Novotel Amsterdam City
NH Amsterdam Zuid(Amsterdam)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
2,996 results
All reviewsrai stationamstel parkbusiness hotelthe sofa bednice hoteltram and trainbusiness districtattending a conferencefree wifibreakfast buffet istram numberbusiness trippublic transportminute walkcentral stationhotel is locatedexecutive room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. Although it is a little out of the way of the city centre, the tram near the hotel is takes you straight there. It was easier to get to from the airport and as you walk in the hotel is beautiful. My room was nice and clean, free wifi and quite modern. Food at the restaurant was delicious. Overall a lovely stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear GlitterR0se,

Thank you so much for your positive review. This is very much appreciated by me and our team. Hopefully we could welcome you back in the nearest future at Novotel Amsterdam City.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Working in the vicinity of the Novotel in Amsterdam's business district and having never been to the Novotel for lunch, I thought I should try it out. I visited with a colleague and a visitor from France. On the way to the hotel we were joking about how Amsterdam is the Bad Service Capital of Europe. I think we were tempting fate.
We were shown to out table fairly promptly and seated. They asked us whether we wanted menu's in English or Dutch. We said English and got Dutch. And then we were ignored. For a long time. We joked about terrible service. No one came. We waved at staff who demonstrated that unique ability to stare through customers and walk on.

Now it's not like they were busy. There were maybe 20 guests seated and four dining room staff. Finally, after much waiving and trying to get attention, a waitress came to take our order. Seeing as how they had completely forgotten to ask us for our drinks we ordered food and drinks at the same time. And then we waited. And waited. And waived. And waited, Finally, a different waiter felt he couldn't reasonably avoid us any longer and approached the table. We asked for our drinks (again) and maybe some bread.

And guess what? We waited. and waited and waited. Finally, to our complete surprise our drinks arrived and a few minutes later the bread. The next period of waiting probably wasn't interminable but it did seem that way. The food finally arrived and it was actually very good.

A good meal spoilt by dreadful service. The worst thing was, that my colleague had warned me that the service was "one of the poorest in Amsterdam" - and she was right.

Room Tip: Eat somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear Nigel C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a on TripAdvisor.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Due to the fact I can not read when you have had lunch, so I could discuss this with my team, I would like you to ask to contact me directly.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

At first glance, the hotel seems very nice as the lobby is updated and the bar/restaurant are new. However, there are many items with which I take exception:

1. The rooms themselves are dated, at best. While the lobby looks nice, the rooms are clearly where the money ran out. They are not dilapidated, but they are certainly not to the quality of other hotels in the area.
2. The size of the rooms is prototypical of European hotels -- very small. While this is not necessarily a knock on the establishment due to the norm, it was still a surprising price for the size.
3. Cancellation -- My coworkers and I are spending extra days in Amsterdam due to the cost actually being cheaper than flying out earlier. However, we were told we could not cancel part of our reservation 3 days in advance of that component, in order to switch hotels to one closer to downtown. This seems unreasonable.
4. Internet -- My BIGGEST complaint. As a business professional needing to stay in constant contact with both the office and customers, I find it hard to swallow when the internet is not reliable or fast. Frankly, the internet at this hotel is the single worst internet I've experienced anywhere on the planet (no exaggeration, truly the least reliable). i'm shocked that this can be acceptable when every single person of the 200+ attendees and exhibitors are using the internet (namely wireless) to do work. I would much rather pay 15 euros/day for reliable and fast internet, than have free useless internet. Be very aware that if you intend to do any video conferencing, tv streaming, or other modern internet tasks, that you will likely be subject to serious tests of patience.

Other than all of that, the place is ok. I don't plan on coming back unless I'm required to for work - look somewhere else for fun and profit.

3  Thank Liam K
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Liam K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

Regarding our rooms. These are renovated a few years ago into Novation rooms. The sice is 24 square metre which is the standard of a 4-star hotel in Europe. I believe in the USA the rooms are much bigger, but this is the standard of Novotel.
Unfortunately I can not check your reservation, due to the fact I do not know your last name. There are different kind of rates to book: refundable or non-refundable. If you think you will need to have the possiblity to cancel your reservation, my advice is to book a flexible rate.
My sincerest apologies the WIFI was very slowly. Did you have contact our reception or our Manager on Duty? We do have cable internet, so the speed will be much faster.

Hopefully we could welcome you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Compared to Novotels in Germany and France this one was outstanding in customer service. Checkin procedures and treatment by hotel staff was perceived very individual and welcoming.
Standard, rooms, clean.
Breakfast rich and divese, individual whishes have been considered quick and entirely.
One should try their special tea at the bar in the evening ;)

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank TravellersHH-NSW

Dear TravellerHH-NSW,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review. This is very much appreciated.
I am sorry to read you find our fitness equipment not enough compared to other hotels. Our apologies.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com