“Nice hotel, good breakfast”

Novotel Amsterdam City
Ranked #121 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Nice hotel, good breakfast”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Efficient reception upon check in. Room is nice and adequately sized. Breakfast is good. Location is good for RAI, though a little bit far from Amsterdam downtown. The tram station and NS train station is within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Micjas,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questionnaire.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Amsterdam City.

Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward - thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel.

Remco Groenhuyzen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rabat
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Let me start with, this is not my typical type of hotel. Most of my traveling is for pleasure and cultural immersion. I tend to stay at accommodations that are above a hostel but below, or at least at the low end of, a three-figured price. I was booked here by work for a conference. Even with our group discount, this hotel cost more than i would normally spend on a hotel. I thought this would be an opportunity to see how the "upper-class" travelled. My conclusion: stupidly.

The location was great for the conference at the RAI centre. And even though it's not downtown, it was easy to get around because you're close to the train, trams and buses. As well, the nearby neighbourhoods have a lot to offer with reasonably priced restaurants and stores.

But the hotel itself, although nice on the surface, was horrible.

The wifi must be hacked from another hotel or cafe. It was shockingly slow and unreliable. Some days we gave up on trying something as simple as reading emails.

The rooms themselves were fine. However, I'm a little disgusted by the cleaning habits. I shared the room with a colleague for a convention, who luckily happens to be a friend. But I still didn't appreciate the forced closeness of the towels and pillows. We didn't put our towels in the tub to be replaced. We put them in separate areas so that we could access them later. The cleaning staff moved them both to the bathroom. They obviously weren't new ones. Who's was who's?!? And, because of the different sizes of pillows, we know that they interchanged the pillows from one bed to another. Not reassuring in terms of cleanliness.

At check-in there was a mistake with our reservation. We had to take an upgraded room for one night at almost double the cost. The added benefit? A few extra toiletries and the use of a terry cloth robe. There was also mention of free use of the mini bar, but because the description if its "freeness" kept changing we opted not to risk drinking a 10€ bottle of water.

Our company emailed immediately to the group reservations to take care of the confusion. When we checked with the front desk the next day, we were told that everything was taken care of, the first night was included with the booked reservation, and we would not be charged personally. So we didn't pursue the matter any further. However, at check out on Sunday (3 days later), when we could no longer contact anyone, we were told that we had to pay for the first night. We explained that we were told differently earlier. However the person checking us out didn't care.

At this point we don't know if we've double paid for the room. Yes, work will eventually pay us back. But with exchange rates, bank transfer fees, and credit card charges, we are now out money for no reason other than incompetence and indifference on the part of the staff. Absolutely shameful ... especially given the rates and the ratings of the hotel.

I would never return to the hotel. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If I needed to return for a conference, I would make my own reservations somewhere else. Very disappointing stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear charli246,

Thank you for taking the time to tell about your experience at the Novotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. I would like to express my sincerest apologies.

Could you please let me know by e-mail when you have stayed in our hotel and what your room number was? In this way I could check with my team what happened and I can take the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Looking forward to hear from you.

H0515-AM@accor.com
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Been to the hotel many times as it is preferred by clients. Always a pleasure as it is a very nice hotel.

Has all the facilities and always fully booked.

Only down side is now swimming pool, however Gym is good.

As for food, considering it is a 4* / 5* it is value for money compared to other places in the area.

Staff are very helpful and professional at all times

Dear Paren S.,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questionnaire.

Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward - thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Very nice hotel, with exceptional lobby and fantastic breakfast!
Room were spacious,comforatble with new bathroom with modern decoration.
Its very close to RAI (5 min. on foot) and near to tram station to go to the city centre.
The negatives: restaurant and mini bar very expensive!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Liverpool UK
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed 3 nights October 2013

Requested and received high floor; 2 Adts & 1 13 y.o. Standard room had sufficient space with sofa bed in use. Room clean and there were a few english TV channels

Very good, if busy, breakfast. Staff helpful and courteous throughout stay.

Location for us was excellent for us. Two stations from Schipol to RAI station. RAI station is on the metro direct into centre but far better mode of transport was the number 4 tram which is at the same terminus. 2 minute walk from Hotel and 20-25 min journey to centre. If you are staying for a few days and using public transport, I would reccommend the 24/48/72 hour travel pass -purchased from the ticket machines inside the RAI station.

There is not much around hotel in terms of nightlife, but two stops on the tram took you into local amenities, with a couple of restaurants - Italian & Egyptian and a local bar - situated opposite RAI conference centre.

The X-box console needed a bit of "TLC" in the children's area. Good wifi in main areas

Would stay again and reccommend

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PaulLiverpoolUK
Prishtinë, null, Kosovo
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I recently stayed at Novotel Amsterdam as i attended a conference in RAI conference center. Even though the hotel might seem out of the way and far from the city, I found that that is no obstacle as the hotel is situated within a walking distance from the metro whcih takes you directly to the city.
I was pleasantly surprised by the positive radiance that the front office staff reflected on my arrival (and throughout the stay). This was my first trip to Amsterdam and the staff were vere helpful in guiding me on transport, things to see and do.
The food, rooms and service were excellent and if I ever came back to Amsterdam, this would be the hotel of choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LianaXharra
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear LianaXharra,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel through Tripadvisor. We actively try to show our guests that the staff and service are the key factors in making sure guests enjoy their stay and I am very glad to see we were able to make you experience this! Hope to see you again in the future, maybe during your next conference!

Kind regards,

Remce Groenhuyzen
Beersheba, Israel
Reviewed November 10, 2013

this my 6th stay in Novotel Amsterdam, the hotel is a 10 min. walking distance from the Amsterdam RAI center and it is the preferred hotel for exhibitors and visitors.

the rooms are "Novotel Standard" clean & comfortable. the restaurant and the bar are with a new and attractive menu and the food is good.

an equipped gym is available free of charge.

for city visit, just need to take tram # 4 (3 minute walk) and within 20 minutes you can reach the central station.

Room Tip: high floor is preferred, as well windows to the main street.