“Convenient for the City Centre”

Novotel Amsterdam City
Ranked #120 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
Oxford
Reviewed April 25, 2013

A good example of this hotel chain, all the facilities were of a good standard and the staff friendly, in particular Reception who helped us out by sorting an issue we had which was not hotel related. This hotel is situated in the Business district of Amsterdam, so whilst we travelled there by car we did not become involved in driving in the city which
can be a nightmare. 2oo yards from the hotel you can catch the number 4 tram which takes you to the Central station, you return from here and get off at the last station and you are back where you started. Tram is very fast.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Excellent price value. Recommended eyes close. Breakfast included , multiple choices for breakfast. Friendly staff. Only drawback outside city centre. Room was nice a tidy, shower maybe small. Single beds to narrow if you are looking for good night sleep go for double bed .

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This place is great to stay, but there is nothing close to it. You can get on the transit system and go somewhere, but other than that you are pretty isolated.
For lunch I walked about a mile to Wagamama but Dinner I ate the Four Cheese Pizza off the bar menu. It was really good as were the Heineken beers. There was an East and a West menu, but there also seemed to be a buffet.
To use the elevator you need to put your card in to call the elevator, but once in you can pick your floor. I have never seen that before but it worked fine.
My room was nice but the way it was situated was not very good. It is hard to use the desk because where the chair would go is tight to the bed. I decided to slide the bed over to give me more room. Now I have a desk lamp right in my face so I try to turn it off, but there is no switch on the lamp, so I have to turn out most of the lights in the room to get the one light off. There was power at the desk that was easy to get to.
I tried to use the wired internet but after plugging in the cable, I could not get it working so I signed onto the Free Wifi which was plenty fast for me. Turns out that the wired internet had a fee. I had no idea until I checked out and they wanted to charge me for the non-working wired internet. He gladly removed the charge.
There is a gym that has a cardio machines but only one weight machine and no free weights.
The shower in my room was wonderful. It was the first time in quite a while that I had to back off the temperature and the pressure of a hotel shower.

Overall if you have a reason to be in this part of town then this is great hotel. Don't let the word "City" in the title of the hotel fool you. You are no where near what I would call the city.

I hope this was a helpful review.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us and other travelers about your stay at Novotel Amsterdam City.

We very much appreciate your positive comments about our hotel. It is good to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We also would like to take this opportunity to explain to other travelers where we are situated. Novotel Amsterdam City is located in the south part of Amsterdam, close to the business centre ‘Zuid As’ and the RAI Congress & Exhibition Centre. Public transport facilities are available in close vicinity of the hotel. Tram number 4 is a direct line from the RAI station within a 3 minute walk of the hotel and brings you in about 20 minutes to Dam Square. Metro 51 brings you in 15 minutes to Central Station and the train brings you to Schiphol Airport within 10 minutes. All options run until midnight.
A taxi stand is opposite the hotel were taxi’s are available 24/7.

It is unfortunate to read that you encountered problems with finding a convenient position to work on the writing desk in your hotel room. We would have been glad to be of assistance to you as the desk is rotatable, so that all of our guests should find a convenient position to work in a pleasant environment. WIFI is indeed free, whereas wired is charge with an amount of € 5,95 per day.

Although the location of the hotel wasn’t to your satisfaction, we do hope that our hospitality will convince you to stay with us again in the near future. The Novotel staff is looking forward to welcome you again as our guest.

With kind regards,
NOVOTEL AMSTERDAM CITY

Remco Groenhuyzen

Reviewed April 15, 2013

we needed to stay relatively close to the hockey clubs in Amstelveen, but not be too far from the city centre. This was ideal - bus 62 to Amstelveen area was just outside the hotel and tram 4 straight into city centre - also close to Rai train station. The hotel is large, with many sports tour groups staying there, and this makes it somewhat impersonal - but on the whole, a good experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel is in walking distance from the train station. The service has been fast and friendly. The room was o.k. and clean. If the breakfast buffet, would have had a wider choice, I would have given it an additional star. The lobby is nice and has overall a good atmosphere.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Had a sort stay at hotel, good free wifi, and althiugh not in city, Tram 4 is easy access to get you to centre. Good comnnection on the train to airport as well. Hotel clean and breakfast was good although expensive like most chain hotels. Will probably stay there again if business in in scipol area. Staff were friendly and good, dinner in restarant was an intersting fusion oin asian flavoiurs not necessarily authentic

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a very nice, clean hotel with an unbeatable breakfast buffet. We stayed two nights and traveled into Amsterdam and to Schipol airport which was all very easy, just a few stops. We were surprised to find out that a hotel of this size didn't have a pool but one of our group took advantage of the workout room and liked it very much. The room was a nice size with a very large safe where we placed our computer. The bathroom felt a bit outdated and the hair dryer didn't work very well but everything else was great. We were able to make tea/coffee in the room which was nice since it was very cold when we were there. There is a nice gift shop but we were surprised to find it closing up on Sunday morning when we went down to purchase something.
The clerk apologized and said that they always close early on Sunday. Might be helpful if the hours were posted. Staff was very helpful with directions and maps. Best of all was the amazing breakfast that came with the room cost. There was luncheon meats, salads, fresh fruit, a variety of breads and buns, eggs, sausage, bacon, fried rice, cereals, granola, nuts and omelets made to order. I'm sure I left something out but it seemed that they tried to meet the needs of various cultures and everyone there seemed pleased with the choices. we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends