“A wonderful evening - for the third time...”
Review of Greetje

Greetje
Ranked #193 of 4,046 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Dutch
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Plantage & the East
Description: At Restaurant Greetje you will enjoy traditional local cuisine imbued with a modern, upscale twist. Using local, eco-friendly, and organic ingredients, our menu beings to life the best of Dutch cuisine throughout the centuries. Our staff loves to look after you. They have tried every dish on the menu and can recommend their favorites while regaling you the history surrounding each offering. The restaurant is situated in a quiet and beautiful area of downtown Amsterdam, right between the Montelbaans Tower and the Nationale Maritime Museum. Our interior is cozy, with gentle lighting, hardwood floors. and wainscoting. Our tables are set with first class custom made Villeroy & Boch table ware and cutlery. If you are looking for a memorable Amsterdam experience, filled with fabulous food and drink, Restaurant Greetje is your best choice.
Reviewed January 12, 2013

In the past 12 months we were travelling three times to Amsterdam. By chance we found the Greetje at our first stay. We enjoyed the restaurant so much, that we also went there the other two times, including yesterday evening. The service was again excellent as the team was very friendly, lively and attentive. The food was great, especially the starter variation offers great value for the money. But also the main courses are an experience which we very much enjoyed - as we did with the dessert. We will surely come back.

1  Thank Bass1969

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I booked this restaurant whilst on a work trip in December 2012 on the recommendation from a friend who lives in Amsterdam. I was slightly worried as I was with a colleague who is a total foodie and I was booking for a group of nine. When I told them the size of the group they said that they would need to give us the group menu which would consist of all the starters, all the desserts coming out together and then a choice of three mains. This suited fine and when we arrived we were greeted by a really friendly gentleman who turned out to be the owner René Loven.

What I thought would be one sample of each starter turned out to be a sample starter per person of everything on the menu served on three three-tiered cake stands. The food was received with silence interrupted by occasional yums and was presented to us with a description of each dish. The smoked sea bass fillet and crispy sautéed organic black pudding were definite winners.

My main consisted of halibut with Dutch green herbs, white wine sauce and mashed potatoes with black carrot. It was absolutely delicious. Two big carnivores in the group decided to opt for the vegetarian main and they could not praise the croquettes of Dutch goats' cheese enough.

The desserts were presented in the same way as the starters with a selection of some of the tastiest sweets I’ve ever had which included stroopwafel, liquorice ice cream and crème brülée. During the meal I popped out to the owner and told him that it was a colleague’s 50th birthday that weekend and asked for some candles. When the desserts arrived he came to the table with a very large sparkler and presented the birthday boy with a bottle of Amsterdam liqueur as a gift.

This was by far one of the best dining experiences I have had and every person in the group was more than satisfied with not only the food, but the service and the whole atmosphere of the restaurant.

Thank you so much René and all the staff at Greetje!

1  Thank LollLee
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

From the outside this small restaurant looks pretty average. Once inside, you are quickly escorted to you table and presented with an Interesting menu that does not disappoint. A nicely rounded wine list and friendly staff, make this a very enjoyable experience.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

You'll find that most restaurants in Amsterdam that offer Dutch cuisine usually are "French-Dutch". Possibly because the Dutch food is usually rather basic. However, this restaurant offers authentic Dutch food on a higher level than a stampot (mashed potatoes, vegetable and sausage). If you want to try a Dutch meal, I would recommend going here.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

We were welcomed warmly and when they realized my husband was in a wheelchair, they opened a separate door to the only table at street level. Our party of four had an excellent dinner, wine and dessert. The servers were very friendly and helpful. We took a taxi from our hotel near Leidesplein, the taxi drivers were also very polite and helped with my husband's wheelchair and getting him in and out of the car.