“Wonderful in every way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Eelhouse B&B

Eelhouse B&B
Ranked #37 of 329 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Perth, Canada
“Wonderful in every way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2009

Just returned from 3 nights in Amsterdam at the Eel House. Would definitely return again. The B&B is in the beautiful Jordaan neighbourhood - close to everything but quiet and residential. We walked both ways from the train station with our luggage without any problem (though it was easier at 6 am when we were leaving and the streets were quiet !). The room we stayed in on the second floor was very well laid out for a small space - a lovely comfortable bed, a little kitchen nook with a fridge (stocked with drinks and wine and beer), coffee maker, microwave, sink, a comfortable reading chair, bathroom with shower, TV, free wifi and beautiful views out the windows that fill two walls of the room. Breakfast, brought to our room, was delicious and huge. We made sandwiches for lunch because there was so much. Vera, the B&B hostess, was wonderful and welcoming from the time we first contacted her. She gave us some great restaurant suggestions in the local neighbourhood. The room has its own private entrance from the street.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

It's perfect, I can't recommend this B & B highly enough - it is comfortable and clean and about 20 minutes to walk from the railway station. Our room was lovely with big windows looking out over a square with traditional properties all round and a childrens playground accross the road. The house is an old traditional Amsterdam house full off character - tiny steep stairs, but you get used to them. Our hosts, Vera and Jasper ( I know I have probably got the spelling wrong ) were wonderfully helpful and friendly and they brought a fantastic breakfast to our room. Just perfect.

Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

My friends think its funny that I must have the gene for accidentally finding the best B&B's in every city that I stay in but, yes, it looks like I've done it again. The warm welcome I received from my very gracious hosts Vera and Jasper at this incredibly charming B&B in Amsterdam's beautiful and scenic "Jordaan" district was just the beginning. I had 4 meetings to go to on my first day in Amsterdam and my hosts did everything to make my meetings a success from mapping out locations and routes to giving me advice as to where to stop to see the sights along the way. My room in the Eelhouse itself was wonderful -- it was exactly as it appears in the website, and Vera's breakfast platter of egg, fruit, cheese, toasts, etc. in the morning was a highlight. The Eelhouse is right in the heart of Amsterdam's most beautiful district: the canals, the cobblestone streets, the tulips, etc -- its all real and very close by, and the house itself is from the 17th Century (and has the extremely steep 2x4 foot curving staircase to prove it!). I have nothing but happy memories of my stay at this fantastic B&B, one of the best I've ever stayed in -- and that's saying a lot. I will certainly stay at the Eelhouse again next time I am in Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

Spent three nights here in April. The location is very nice. The Jordon neighborhood is great with lots of restaurants nearby to choose from. The room is light and airy with large windows on two sides of the corner room An easy enough walk to Central Station. Our host Vera was very helpful with our needs. Breakfast brought to our room in the morning was GREAT! A chilled bottle of wine and some fresh fruit were waiting for us upon arrival. We had a micorwave and coffe maker. Everything we needed. Comfortabe and safe.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank bagladyOregon
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

I finally noticed The Eelhouse on Trip Advisor. It wasn't in the Trip Advisor database when I made my stay, back in December of 2006. I'm unsure is Klaas is still one of the owners or not, but he was great.
The best part of of The Eelhouse is the location. This is about a 10 minute walk from the center of Amsterdam and is away from most of the touristy parts. This is a major positive to me. The Jordaan neighborhood is amazing. From the street markets on different days of the week to the great little cafes and restaurants. There is also a tram stop nearby. It is a little farther out from the center but goes around the city where you can connect to other trams. Walking into the center is no problem at all, and there is a small bus/minivan that can take you from Central Station to the Noorderkerk, just up the street.
The rooms are pretty typical bedroom with a private bathroom, mini-kitchenette and a small television. If you are going in the winter, the heat works very well and the bathroom has heated floors! The breakfast was a great mix of yogurt, bread and cold cuts. However, and this was my only complaint, one day we mysteriously didn't receive a breakfast. The owner was very apologetic and gave us an even bigger breakfast, with bread to take home with us, on our last morning.
Beware, the stairway to the rooms is very steep! I would not recommend for older travelers.
Overall, the biggest plus is the location. Everything else is great, too, but the location really makes it amazing. There are a ton of little bars right near Eelhouse. It is a quiet area, with a schoolyard across the street, and far enough away from the tourist traps. If I were to go back to Amsterdam, I would stay at The Eelhouse again.

Food Recommendation: I have two. As you walk into city center, on Prinsenstraat 5, is a cafe called Eetcafe Het Kalfje. It is a pretty typical Amsterdam cafe, but the owner was very friendly, there wasn't a large crowd, the food was great and it was very cozy. There are many more like it, but we really enjoyed this one and it was a short walk. Also, near the Noorderkerk is another cafe called Winkel that has amazing Dutch apple pie! Thanks to Klaas for this recommendation.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chemmie
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2009

Eel House is a charming, modern place to stay in the Jordaan neighborhood. Rooms are cosy without being too small and the breakfast spread brought to your door is a nice way to start the day. The mini fridge is a nice touch as well. Vera is an excellent hostess and very knowledgeable. It's about a ten minute walk to the city center. Just be prepared for the steep, original staircase.

• Liked — Cosy, Nice Host, Breakfast/Fridge
  • Disliked — Stairs are a bit steep
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)