“an amazing breakfast”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We found Gartine's through Trip Advisor. Rated very highly and well deserved - it was excellent. Gartine's is tiny - 10 small tables. Reservations, even for breakfast, are essential. On the two days that we were there, they turned away many people - all w/o reservations. Gartine's serves breakfast, lunch and high tea. The hosts are gracious, friendly and welcoming. The food is fresh and delicious. The dutch pancakes (similar to crepes, for those of us from the U.S.) are served w/roasted nuts on top - wonderful. The french toast ("sugar bread") was the best I've ever had - served w/cinnamon apple butter on the side. We returned the next day for delicious scrambled eggs w/fresh herbs, outstanding preserves, and croissants. Breakfast starts at 10am. It is well worth the visit. Make a reservation!!

1  Thank elaine212

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Went there two days ago wit my husband, the place a alittle bit hard to find. Once we walked to the place it was small and cozy, the place was full and we were asked to come back in 30mins. Once we came back we had a table reserved for us, the service was fantastic. Extremly nice waitors. This place is nice, homey and cozy. We had a late lunch around 3pm. We had a ham lamb sandwich cheese sandwich abd two soups. Soup was so nice and fresh everything was full of flavor including the bread cheese. We recomend the cheese sandwich it was simple yet full of flavor. I 100% recomeend this plave to anybody, u cannot go wronge wit the service and food. Thank u for making our trip to amsterdam enjoyable and once to remember

1  Thank Mays A
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is hidden down one of the many side streets in Amsterdam, but is definitely worth a visit. We went based on the trip advisor reviews and were very glad we did. Some unusual flavours put together, but they worked so well!! I'd highly recommend the fritatta with spinach and cheese sandwhich. Just lovely. We don't usually get dessert with lunch, but having seen the selection of cakes we HAD to try them. I think they change daily, but if the banana cake with coconut, vanilla and elderflower is on then get it!
Good selection of teas/cold drinks. We were lucky to get a seat as it is a very small cafe so I would advise to go a bit later to avoid disappointment.(we ate at about 3, and even then 2 groups of people had to wait to get a seat)
The owners/servers were helpful and really friendly.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We found this restaurant after viewing it rated as #1 on trip advisor. Upon finding it off a small alley, we were very happy that reviewers voted it that way! It is small and quaint, no more than 10-12 tables. The owners were very welcoming and polite and sat us right away even though they were busy. We enjoyed the pancake and the scrambled eggs, both tasted very fresh and had much more flavor than you would expect- garlic and butter melted into the toast for the eggs, the presentation was also very lovely. We really enjoyed the small and cozy ambience of the restaurant, it was a very much appreciated break from the hustle and bustle of the busy tourist area.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a traditional Dutch breakfast with personal service.

2  Thank Lghgs2002
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was the best restaurant in Amsterdam- it even surpasses a meal I had at Van Streyk which ended up being 25 euros, and this came to just 12 euros per person!

They had a small lunch menu- but each dish was just amazing. I had a vegetable soup and I'd definitely recommend trying the cold drinks. I had a homemade ice tea infused with a vanilla pod- you can tell they care a lot about the quality of their food. They had beautiful plates and bowls too!

Not only was the food good- the service was lovely too. We felt welcomed and the staff were smiling and very friendly. I'd say you must visit this restaurant if you're in Amsterdam.
It's definitely worth popping in and booking the day before/ over the phone- I've seen disappointed people who didn't get a table because it is very popular!