“Zara's is very kind to Chinese and the food is awsome”
Review of Zaza's

Zaza's
Reserve with
Zaza's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 4,141 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: De Pijp
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I'm very surprised when I saw VaKwiththemizz's comments and I believe that must be some misunderstanding. I'm from Shanghai China and I can prove Chinese are welcome in Zara's Restaurant.
我认为Zaza's 对任何人都是友好的包括中国人。而且这里的食物超赞!

I visited Zara's once and I was impressed by the food and service so I decided to arrange a surprise for my friend(she is Chinese too) when she was visiting Amsterdam in March. I communicated with Susie the manager of restaurant via emails because I was not able to visit Amsterdam with my friend. Susie and her colleagues made a great arrangement beyond my expectation for my friend's birthday celebration. There were the balloons and flowers and awsome food. All the employees of Zara's came to say happy birthday to my friend. They gave a girl and her friend a wonderful night!

I wouldn't deny that I'm a big fan of Zara's and I will recommend Zara's to my friends in China to have a nice meal here when they visit Amsterdam.

Zara's is not some kind of luxurious restaurant but it's more like the home to the guest.

1  Thank NickChen
Write a ReviewReviews (1,427)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I did my Tripadvisor research on Amsterdam restaurants before going and I was really looking forward to eating here based on the reviews and the high rating. I'm really not sure how this restaurant ranks so high on Tripadvisor? It's decent, but it doesn't compute that is it currently ranked #7 out of 1,982 restaurants in Amsterdam! Our hotel staff hadn't even heard of the restaurant.

If the high rating is based on atmosphere, I don't get it as Zaza's is a small restaurant really short on atmosphere with a banquette running the length of the wall with chairs opposite nondescript tables with a few tables by the window; basically underwhelming. Our hotel made reservations a few weeks in advance, yet were given an odd table near the kitchen tucked between the bar and a closet. A closet in which staff constantly need to access while you are dining. Not #7 worthy!

If the high rating is based on food; again I don't get it. The food was good but it wasn't anything memorable. One would think a #7 restaurant would leave you saying "OMG that dish was crazy amazing. I can't wait to have that again!" I honestly can't even remember what I had and I do not have Alzheimer! The food was just that unremarkable.

I must say that the service was good. I think our server was the owner and she is super friendly and I really hate to be so critical of the atmosphere and food, but I expect a #7 restaurant to be "the whole package!" OMG worthy food and a wonderful atmosphere, not just good service!

I guess my real irritation is with Tripadvisor. I looked at older reviews (guess I should have researched better prior to my trip!) and apparently Zaza's at one time was #1! Many people had the same opinion about the food, it's was just ok and they didn't get the #1 rating. How can Tripadvisor rate a restaurant so high when the food is just ok and there is such a lack of atmosphere?

2  Thank Lisatini1013
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I ate here for our anniversary! We were a bit late ( 15 minutes) but they still seated us. They had gluten free bread for me which was nice as I have an allergy. I started with the seared scallops ( verygood) and had lamb which was nice but tiny bit chewy ( unfortunately several of the main menu items had gluten that night) My husband had guinea fowl and loved it and had seared duck liver for starter which he also loved.
They were very very busy and forgot my husbands oysters ( to come in the middle) but we were too full anyway.
We shared a desert of ginger.
Overall very nice night

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went here based on the Tripadvisor reviews, the food and service was amazing, will definitely return!!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I and one other person ate at Zaza's last night. Having arrived in Amsterdam that afternoon we had no idea where to have dinner. We found Zaza's on Trip Advisor. The hotel made our reservation and were told the only table available was rather small but there would be enough room for us. We arrived at 8 for our reservation and were seated immediately. After reading a review onTA from an American (which we are) and his Chinese wife, we really did not know what to expect. We soon realized we were in for a great evening. Our waitress (the owner's wife) could not have been more engaging and friendly. The restaurant is small but very comfortable. The food was very good and our waitress knew exactly what wine to pair with it. Our friend had the duck liver as a starter and said it was superb and the sweet wine was matched perfectly. As the meal progressed we had a lot of laughs with the waitstaff. We would definitely go back again and are recommending to some friends of ours to dine at later in the week. Regarding the poor review mentioned earlier, the person writing it must had had a very terrible day or was dining at some other restaurant. Thanks to the staff for making it a fun filled evening.