“Delicious Steak!”
Review of Zus en Zus

Zus en Zus
Reserve with
Zus en Zus is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #828 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Vondelpark
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This restaurant was right near my friends apartment and we thought we would give it a try. The staff were very friendly and all spoke English. We had delicious rib eye steak with potatoes and vegetables and the wine selection was great. The menu looked good and seasonal.They gave us olives, fresh breads and a tapanade dip as a starter which we devoured. Lovely atmosphere and would recommend it.

2  Thank Clauds179
There are newer reviews for Zus en Zus

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stumbled upon this place earlier and had dinner there with a friend. Pleasantly surprised. Great staff, they were polite and all smiles! The food is excellent too. Appetizer (olives, bread & dip, and garden salad) + pasta of the week + a glass of white wine all for just a little over €16 per person. Even the more expensive items on the menu seem to be reasonably priced too for what they offer. Will be back!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I think the right term is French, you have a wide choice of dishes here (although the menu itself is limited, but this has a positive effect on the quality). Three main course is 27,50 euro, which is a good value for money considering what they serve! Service was particularly good, certainly above par for Amsterdam standards. As I`m writing this I`m thinking.. I have to go back here soon.. :)

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had the game dishes, venison and quail. They were superb! It is a casual place to linger with friends. The staff are attentive but not obtrusive. The decor is simple but pleasing. The menu is compact but the chef did a great combination of flavors. It is accessible and close to the #1 tram stop. Overall a great place for a winter evening meal. We would definitely return. The prie fix menu is quite reasonable but our appetites were satisfied with the main dish.

1  Thank Harvey S
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Sometimes in life events dicate where you eat and this week was one of those occassions. A group of had decided to play pool and so the choice of pool venue meant that we needed to find a relatively close location to Plan B on Overtoom. After checking with the various food issues we have in the group a piscatarian and nut allergy we booked.

The place is typically of small restaurants in Amsterdam long and thin. The decor was bright and modern, although the bench chair which I was sat on had a irritating back attached to the wall which moved about in strange ways. The restaurant is slightly predictably named after the owners! Yes they are both sister one who now lives in the US as the husband explained. He is also the manager and somellier for the evening. The restaurant was full so we did not have much time to discuss the details of the place so much.

The Menu is a touch experimental with some interesting food combinations which was part of the reason I chose it. They have experimented with sweet and sour combinations very much on the menu. There was only one classic one the menu which was beef carpachio.

So what was the food like? I chose the duck starter followed by the venison. There was a mixture of fish and meat ordered so the wine choice was tricky but we decided to go for red. There is a lovely bottle of Fleurie on the menu which I thought could work and it did.

I tasted the swordfish starter of my friends and it was pretty awful. It needed alot more sharpness of citrus. Mine was better, but textures of the apple, salify and duck plus the dressing was still not so good. My main of venison was quite nicey cooked. I was worried a little about my choice of venison, with apple mash and parsnips was going to be too sweet, but I really wanted a meaty dish and this was the only choice. I should not have worried as they had managed to make the parsnips which are naturally sweet, bland. The apple mash tasted of mash and the venison was cooked pretty ok. The other strange thing was the deep fried ginger bread which did not add anything interesting to the dish.

The wine was the best part of the meal we all agreed.

Ok so what about the service. Well we were a little bit late to arrive but this led to us being overlooked on a number of ocassions. Our waitress seemed very preoccupied by something and had 2 aborted attempts to take our order. The mains took quite a while to come out which meant we had to put back our booking at the pool place. In the end we were struggling to make the adjusted time. After asking for the bill she went off and served a couple of people. Then after seeing her staring and sorting through bottles for 5 minutes I could take it no longer and went and asked for the bill. "Sorry I forgot about" was the answer. It worked out at 40 euros each for starter and main plus wine. That is expensive for what we got!