“First time for Sushi!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We visited one evening following a trade show. We had Japanese colleagues with us who said the food was very good, the sushi in particular. It was the first time I have tired sushi and although it's not my most favourite thing in the world I was glad I tried it. The soya beans as a started were lovely and the beef - to die for. Lovely restaurant. If I ever get back to Amsterdam I'm heading straight there.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I've travelled the world... and eaten lots of sushi - whether Japan, Vancouver, London, etc...

Umeno is quite authentic, the sushi chef is extremely precise / well trained, and the food is well priced for Amsterdam. It's not the Okura, but I've yet to have a bad meal here, and it's at least half the price.

Overall ambience is ok, and service can be slow at times (only sushi chef and his wife?), but if you're in the area... well worth the visit.

I've eaten here three times and have yet to have a bad meal.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Everything tasted excellent! The rice on that sushi is just right. The tempura doesn't come with excessive flours that normally trapped a lot of oil inside. The shabu-shabu did took a long time to be served, but that was because they are making the soup properly.
The only down side for me would be the size of the meal, which I would except slightly more, considering the price per item.

1  Thank ndibo3
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Hide away in Amsterdam, but definitely one of the best sushi places in town. The sashimi is perfect with the best toro you can imagine. Also the main dishes are great. Combined with some good sake this was a lovely dinner.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Taste the real thing in this small restaurant. Every ingredient is fresh and just right. Ambiance is somewhat basic but it makes you focus on the food.