“Delicious food - everyone in our group loved it”
Review of Mashua

Mashua
Ranked #758 of 4,042 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stumbled upon this Peruvian restaurant and they could seat a table of six without a reservation, so we decided to give it a go. The menu had lots of interesting ingredients and flavor combinations. All six of us were very impressed with our food. Even simple dishes like a salad were exciting.

Here were our favorites:
- Causa de atun (potato tartlet with ahi tuna) - lovely, composed starter, great flavors, large portion.
- Ensalata Mashua - I don't usually order a salad, but my mother-in-law had this and couldn't stop talking about the Tamarind dressing. I will definitely try next time.
- Ceviche de Pescado - The winner of the evening. I've had a lot of ceviche but this one stood out. It was a starter and a very generous portion. Several of us had this dish and couldn't get enough.
- "Risotto" de Quinoa - Lovely vegetarian main course. There is no rice in it. It is made from Quinoa and Andean wheat. I was a little hesitant but decided to take a chance and it was very creamy, unique and totally delicious.

As delicious and inventive as everything was, I can't wait to return to try some of the other dishes. Next time I would like to one of the pork or beef dishes.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We had admired the golden awning that morning (4th of July) when my wife did a couple of watercolor sketches at our hotel across the canal. Delighted to find it had a great menu and genial staff. Had a green salad and a white gazpacho (tomatillos?) Starters and a fish/vegetables/scallops and a camarones/potato and other root vegetable main course, both delicious. It has inside, curbside and canalside tables. We opted for latter. @arty and work boat traffic fun and street traffic not obtrusive. A great find.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

It had been about 4 years since my trip to Peru, but I was craving some Lomo Saltado in Amsterdam.

We tried the combination starter along with lomo saltado and ceviche de pato as mains. The appetizers were fairly forgettable aside from the ceviche which we both enjoyed. The lomo saltado was very good - tender steak, and the duck was not my favorite.

All in all an OK meal, but would not return on my next trip to Amsterdam

Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Mediocre food very expensive small plates ,rude service .never going back again and i dont.recomend anyone to.eat there.real touristtrap.flashy signs and interior but bad food nothing peruan about the.menu exept.ceviche

Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

Mashua's sister restaurant Cafe Peru at Leidsegracht 68 (cnr of Prinsengracht) has the same menu. Ate there and had the most awesome tasty fresh ceviche I've tasted in Europe.

Ordered the piqueo (mixed starter for 2 of seabass ceviche, tamale and sweet potato cake). Was enough as a light main course for 2 to share. Had 3-milk traditional layered dessert which was tasty and tangy, and a Peruvian rice pudding, both of which were delicious. The tropical juice blend was fresh and subtle.

If you don't know ceviche it is fresh raw fish pickled in cilantro, with red onions. It is sour but super tasty. Try it!

Absolutely the best meal we've had in Europe, and that is saying something as we live in cosmopolitan London!