“Wasn't my kind of restaurant...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elkaar

Elkaar
Reserve with
Elkaar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #253 of 3,725 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European, French, Dutch
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Plantage & the East
Description: At Restaurant Elkaar you are always very welcome for a relax lunch or romantic dinner. We have a cozy ambience and unique terrace in Amsterdam.
“Wasn't my kind of restaurant...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

If I had to describe it in a word, that word would be "pretentious". If you like plates and dish-ware that is curved and fancy, and food that is a visual work of art, and ingredients that are unusual, then this place might be for you. But I wasn't 'wowed' by most of the food, and I found the portions to be small, with the exception of the main course. I'll sacrifice all that other stuff for incredible tasting food.

Perhaps because it was French food, the plates all (it seemed) had to have something 'tartare' or sweetbreads (organ meat) or quail eggs, to be haute cuisine... I prefer my food cooked, my meat standard and my eggs from a chicken. When they have to explain what is each item on my plate, I'd rather not bother with it.

This is what I mean by "pretentious".

Service was very friendly, although leisurely -- I felt it was slow, as we waited for several minutes between each course (and because of the portion sizes there was nothing but bread to eat most of the time), however you might like a slow pace such as this. I am also used to being checked on a few minutes after each course is served; is this an American bias? For example, we were not checked-on during the beef entree, and the almost-uneaten beef was cleared away without question. I would have mentioned something if asked.

The best thing I had was the risotto 'mid-course' item; my only regret was there wasn't enough of it. It was really nice. The entree' (French for 'appetizer', correctly) was described as "smoked beef thinly sliced"... But I expected that smoking the beef would have cooked it, and it was for the most part raw. I didn't care for the taste of the chicken main course at all.

In addition, it was described just as chicken, but it turned out to be breast meat only. (That comment is included to inform dark-meat lovers.)

My wife had the lobster bisque, which was tasty, but the thinnest bisque ever, with no chunks of anything. Her veal main course was good. Well prepared but not enchanting.

If you like cassoulet, or heavily sauced meats (as I do) for your French food, I don't recommend eating here. Otherwise this may be to your liking.

• Polish first
New Hope, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unique, excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

All of the dishes we ordered were excellent, unique sauces with a light and flavorful touch. Quiet location, with outdoor seating, along a canal on Plantage Middenlan, near Tropenmuseum.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank RAR123
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“It all comes together at Elkaar....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

Right across the canal from the Tropenmuseum, Restaurant Elkaar is slowly working towards a spot among Amsterdam's favourite dining spots. Located between the museum and the Amsterdam Zoo and on the ground floor of a residential building, this small restaurant offers contemporary food and beautiful wines. The elegant dishes are not only beautifully presented but deliver on flavour as well. The subtle flavours of our starter with mackerel tartare and crab 'cocktail' worked really well with the pata negra ham. The risotto with scallops was silken smooth and the lobster tail on our main meltingly soft. All in all Elkaar ticked almost all the boxes but please change those paintings on the wall!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Zwef
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Just good, and a little fancy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Average doesn't do it justice, but very good might just be a bit too much.

Sure, the menu is fine, cooking overall really good, though the pig I got served was overcooked. Some portions are small, so some of us were disappointed, but they do compensate with loads of really good bread. The set menu's come with a number of options and are reasonably priced. The á la carte choices were the ones that were disappointing in size, as they were the more expensive choices.

Service is fine and the atmosphere as expected really pleasant.

The suggested white wine was good, the red tasted average to me, but I'm a beer drinker; the regular beer was expensive though and came from a bottle.

Nevertheless, it's a good place to eat at a good location if you're into a little more formal dining, though there are so many restaurants in Amsterdam that offer the same quality of food for (a little) less...

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
amsterdam
“Great wine selection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

This reastaurant just in front of the Tropenmuseum is one of the hidden gems in Amstaerdam. Probably the wine cellar is much bigger than the restaurant itself - you can choose form a great variety of French wines - but you'd better listen to the sommelier :-)

• Visited March 2012