Open today: 9:45 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Excellent tour

A very interesting and interactive tour. The weather was a bit rubbish but Joy was brilliant and... read more

Reviewed today
Olivia B
Fantastic tour

Great way to see the sights of Amsterdam and learn about all the interesting history of the... read more

Reviewed yesterday
JosieH8
Coventry, United Kingdom
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Amsterdam
from $22.96
from $22.96
from $56.26
from $102.18
3,850 results
All reviews walking tour great tour personal stories super sightseeing free tour free walking great stories fun facts highly recommend this tour cookies informative tour great introduction old church an excellent guide waffles amsterdam's history hour tour
Reviewed February 27, 2017

Sebastian was very informative and livened up the tour with his personal anecdotes.
I learnt a lot in the 2.5 hrs would highly recommend.

Date of experience: February 2017
FreeDamTeam, Guide at FreeDam Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2017

Hej,
Happy to hear you learned a lot on my tour. Thank you for writing the review.

Reviewed February 27, 2017

Great walking tour of the centre of Amsterdam. By the old church and the red light district I don't believe that we would have ventured there without Sebastian our tour guide. The pace of the information and the walking was timed just right. No dates but plenty of history and funny stories. Some sad parts too. I cannot get out of my thoughts what happened to the Dutch Jews in the city during the Second World War. Still that's history for you! Ended in Dam Square with a gift and a group photo. If you are going to Amsterdam and want an orientation of the middle of the city and some history then join one of these tours. You will be impressed. Highly recommended. Sebastian you have this tour just right. Don't change it as it's perfect for a novice in Amsterdam. Thank you Jean and Sandra Friday at 11am.

Date of experience: February 2017
FreeDamTeam, Guide at FreeDam Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2017

Hej Jean and Sandra,
Thank you so for these kind words, a good summary of what I try to get across (without giving away too much information). It was a honour having you on the tour. Till a next time!

Reviewed February 27, 2017

Of the free tours that I have taken in European cities, the tour given by Sergio was one of the best. As a local to Amsterdam, he was extremely knowledgeable about the city and gave each of his stories a personal touch that made them both funny and entertaining. 10 out of 10, would recommend.

Date of experience: February 2017
FreeDamTeam, Owner at FreeDam Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2017

Thank you for your recommendation Thomas! I'm extremely honoured to hear it was (one of) the best :) ...and happy to read you learned and laughed in equal measure! Hugs, Sergio.

Reviewed February 27, 2017

This was the best walking tour we have ever had. Our guide Sebastian was very entertaining and knowledgeable with a great sense of humour. Very fun and interesting tour, definitely recommend to anyone visiting Amsterdam!

Date of experience: February 2017

That is quite the statement to make, but I am really happy with it off course! I am happy think of my tour in such a way! You are always welcome back and I will try to do an even better job!

Reviewed February 27, 2017

I participated in a free walking tour by Freedam -tour guide Sebastian on Friday 24th February at 11.00 with a group of approximately 15 people. I happen to be an FWT guide myself in my home city, and though have done a huge job in perfecting my tour, I think I will have to concede defeat just this one time. :)

It was not only the case that there was a huge amount of very useful and interesting information, but also great attention to the "small" things. Right amount of jokes at just the right times to brighten things up every now and then (well, in a sense this was hardly necessary, since I believe everyone to have been quite comfortable and relaxed from the get-go); some more serious stuff, too; great overall theme thought out to tie things together and deliver the most important lesson particular to the site, that of (the right amount of) tolerance and freedom found throughout the history of the city; furthermore, he mixes the general and historical aspects of most interest with personal stories and anecdotes. Super nice touch to keep an eye on providing such a good mixture of different layers and types of info, to accommodate everyone's needs and ensure that they stay interested and tuned. These facts would already amount to a super good tour.

But on top of the aforementioned he uses "cliffhangers": ends a story related to one place with an unanswered question or enigma then answered on the following stop, and in quite a natural way, too, connected with what can be explored at those particular spots. This "trick" binds the places visited in a clever way into a continuous story, with a certain storyline (the aforementioned freedom and tolerance), too. Huge. Then, photos of the different spots to ease understanding of the stories told helping to relate them with other events, places and stories. I especially liked his use of pics when being told about Rembrandt at the medics' guild; the 2nd world war at the Jewish quarters; the connection made between the world "dominance" of the dutch, the United East India company and New York. Which reminds me: many very cool "a-ha moments" offered; trivia you will not forget and can then brag about knowing and having learnt about to your friend. And if you stick with telling the stories the way Sebastian does, I'm sure your friend won't yawn either.

Last but not least on the list of praise: he emphasized that he is happy to provide recommendations, so I took him up on that. The Indonesian restaurant he recommended was super good. He also recommended a special evening at the Van Gogh museum for that Friday night, which sounded extremely nice, but we never got around to trying despite having so planned. Our dinner was too good, so got stuck eating and drinking instead.

So, I'm sure you get the tone by now. Nonetheless, want to say a few words about stuff that might be improvements for some odd customer, or at least a "nice to know" thing to consider, if looking to shake things up a little (again, no need in my opinion, and hesitant of giving any pointers for such a great tour, to not risk ruining it).

He warns you in the beginning that he will talk a lot. I cannot help but be in awe about the work designing the tour must have involved, but having said that, it is definitely true that there is a lot of talk to go along with the attention to detail:). So, even though extremely well-delivered and interesting content, might be heavy in terms of the sheer amount for those somewhat less eager to listen and more eager to walk around.

Second, I'm not quite sure one stop we made was worhwhile, since to me wasn't all that special in the end. Yet again, this "critique" is somewhat unfair, though, since he asked everyone if we wanted to make that quick stop at a local cheese joint, and everyone wanted to, and also, I guess it helped to warm up on what was quite a cold day. Also, something different and I guess a chance to relax in between all the info provided. I got to buy a cappuccino to go and warm my hands, which was nice.

So: altogether - I'm really impressed, and given that I'd consider myself a sort of "expert" on the topic due to my professional experience, you can take my word that it's really a good idea to do the tour with Sebastian and Freedam and it is hard to fathom that any other guide could possibly top what he offers. So thank you so much - and do come and visit me one day, too ;) (btw, on a related note, I should like to add that have just quit as an official FWT guide, so I haven't written this praise to get any back either ;))

3  Thank Leo_Hel

Hej Leo,
WOW! Just WOW! I cannot thank you enough for this AWESOME review and I really appreciate that you took the time to write about your experience at the tour Friday. It was truly a pleasure to have you on my tour and your happy and open attitude really helped me throughout. I am also really thankful for the pointers and will definitely take them into consideration. A little bit sad that I cannot go on your tour in Helsinki, but I hope to see you when I make it out there. I wish you all the best with your new job!