“Something different !”

FreeDam Tours
Ranked #2 of 458 Tours in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Discover the fascinating history of the most liberal city in the world with FreeDam Tours - a unique, in-depth (free / tips only) walking tour that will leave you understanding and appreciating this city in ways you never thought possible. With the perfect mix of information and entertainment, combining history and contemporary lifestyle with unique personal stories and anecdotes that help explain the essence of Amsterdam and Dutch culture. With four daily tours at 10AM, 11AM, 1PM and 2PM, starting in front of the Old Church, in the heart of the Red Light District.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Reviewed September 26, 2016

This tour was nicely unpredictable : with all its anecdotes of history, personnal living, architecture, people, culture and so on... More over, the guide is joyful, has in his bag not only little pictures to make you understand, but also a lot of humour for you to have a great time, and little surprises :)!
And... last but not least : this guide can understand little salaries (like student ones) and suggest you pay what you think the visit is worth...
I learned a lot about the city and met nice people from all around the world, sharing our experiences of life and differences of culture, thanks to the guide who made us interract !
This is to experiment at least once :)

FreeDamTeam, Owner at FreeDam Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2016

Dear cmmlll, We love the way you describe our tour as 'nicely unpredictable'. Indeed it covers many different topics, big to small, historic to personal. And yes, we want to offer everybody an in-depth look and understanding of Amsterdam, so everybody can give the contribution they think the tour is worth according to their own possibilities :)
All the best from the freeDam Tours Team!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,830)
All reviews
"informative tour"
in 49 reviews
"old church"
in 37 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 36 reviews
"visiting amsterdam"
in 65 reviews

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 26, 2016 via mobile

Amazing tour ! We found Sergio very informative. He has away of telling you about the history with a sense of humor. Never a dull moment . A definite must do.
Thank you Sergio!

The three generations!

Well thank you 'Three generation'! I'm so happy I could keep all of you so enthralled! :)
All the best from Amsterdam - Sergio.

Reviewed September 26, 2016 via mobile

We landed in Amsterdam early in the morning and could not check into our hotel. We started to walk around and found Sergio with his yellow umbrella and decided to join his tour. It was a great way to start our trip in Amsterdam and we were able to hit all of the major places in and around the Central District. Sergio included his personal stories and gave out discount cards for bikes and other tours.

Dear Brian,
Thank you for sharing your experience here in TripAdvisor. I'm glad to hear you had such a positive experience with me/us! We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Amsterdam! All the best - Sergio.

Reviewed September 25, 2016

We had an awesome tour with our guide Sergio. He is an amazing storyteller - from Amsterdams history to today's city - and always mixed with his own personal Amsterdam adventures resulted in an exciting 2.5 hours tour. Highly recommendable!

Dear Nicholas. Thank you very much for your recommendation. I'm glad you liked my stories and adventures! Till we meet again - Sergio.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 25, 2016

My first ever visit to Amsterdam and this tour was booked for me as a way of getting to know the city. Lieke was our guide - she not only knew the city, but gave us so much interesting information on the history of Amsterdam and its people. Her command of English was excellent and she was fun - this wasn't a 'dry, boring' tour! We were impressed with the way she made sure that all the nationalities in our group were made to feel comfortable together, and we went at a place that suited all ages. We toured parts of the city which we would not have found by ourselves. An unforgettable 2 hours and well worth €20 or more.

FreeDamTeam, Guide at FreeDam Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2016

What a review Ralph! Wow, I feel honoured, thanks :) I always try to make everybody comfortable and I always hope the group not only gets to know me and the city, but also each other. That gives the tour an extra dimension I hope. I hope you also enjoyed the rest of you stay in this amazing city! Lieke.