Efteling Hotel
Hotel De Kroon(Kaatsheuvel)(Great Value!)
$133
$110
NH Waalwijk(Waalwijk)
Hotel Waalwijk(Waalwijk)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscomfort roomhotel guestsfairy talespecial entrancetheme parkhalf an hourbuffet dinnerthemed roomsmini barmain entrancelittle touchesbreakfast roomfree parkingnormal roomthe air conditioningcupcakestheme suite
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed in the spacious Sleeping beauty theme suite. Suites might look a bit dated... (some are under renovation..) but it's truly a fun experience. Theme is detailed nicely in the suite and very childfriendly. Breakfast is in shifts (as in all amusementpark hotels).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erik M
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We were visiting as a family with 2 kids and for celebration we stayed in a suite. Beautiful! It has a bedroom and small living room ensuite. The bedroom entrance starts the fairy tale already upon entry (I won't share the surprise). It has a tv and for kids a table with 2 seats to sit and play. The living room has very comfortable seats to rest. The decorations are all in one certain theme and it makes you feel like you are part of this fairy tale. Great for kids with extra treats. The bathrooms are elegantly decorated and big to share with a family like us. The beds are soft and we slept fine, no noise from outside. The room was clean, maybe some fresh air would make it even better.

The buffet restaurant served very nice and tasty food, though the choices were just a few. The personnel was very kind to us and the kids and they took good care of cleaning the table and serving drinks. The breakfast buffet was wonderful with lots of choices (English and continental) and well prepared and enough.

The hotel is really around the corner of the Efteling themepark and with special service to this. Free parking space. The wifi worked just fine for me on my phone.
Ground floor and restaurants give enough space to get around with a wheelchair. The suite also provided enough space for entering with a wheelchair, the bathroom is not specially equipped for disabled. The toilets at reception do have a special toiletroom for wheelchair users.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jackbasic2011
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The hotel is just amazing, not only for kids, but I can image that it can be romantic as well.
Since we were here with our 2 year old son, we saw it out of a different perspective. the room is quite small but everything you want is present, even more. When you enter it for the first time, a postcard will lie on your bed. This card can be filled in and given to the reception, they will send it for you, free of charge. We had a renewed, standard room and it is lovely with all kinds of fairytale silhouettes on the wall in small frames. A big mirror with a table in front of it, on the table is a text that only can be read via the mirror, when you open the mirror a great flat screen TV with a lot of channels in different languages. Also 4 movie channels and some kids/fairytale channels. When you open the closet, you can see some of the red dancing shoes... One night bale is hanging on the wall... You can see, all kinds of surprises that you will amuse.
Furthermore, the bed is of very good quality, the windows are very well isolating and the bathroom is fine.

The breakfast buffet is small but everything is present like croissants, 5 types of bread, eggs (soft and hard boiled), bacon, all kinds of sweet, fresh juices... and on top of this, some elfs, goblins or whatever will pass your table and sing a song for your kid(s).

During the day you can visit the park via a shortcut-entrance and you can go out and in as much as you want.
The evening buffet is also quit small, but everything is fresh. there is even a small children's buffet with some burgers, chicken nuggets... On top of this, another show will be held. For us this was the cook of Cinderella who passed by. He was singing a song, falling asleep and kids needed to wake him up every time. Then he made with all the kids their own desserts during a small magic show... The kids were constantly amused and the parent could eat.

Although it is not that cheap, it was worth it and we will go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WiElLu
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My dad (63) and I (23) stayed in the Hotel for the first time in October 2011, even though we have been visiting the park for over 25 years as a family when we lived in Germany and Holland or when visiting we would usually stay in a nearby Centre Parcs cottage.

I have never seen or stayed at a Hotel quite like it, from a set of steps at the reception desk so children can be at eye level with the receptionist and obtain liquorice frogs at the top, to a pull out step under all the sinks in the rooms so children can reach the sink and brush their teeth etc.

We stayed in a comfort room for one night and after persuading my mum who was in Thailand at the time with my sister (and is also in charge of the credit card) we upgraded our second night to stay in a themed room. Each Comfort room has hidden surprises throughout from mice in the skirting boards (not real ones) to red shoes in the wardrobe, all themed around the tales of Hans Christian Anderson and the brothers Grimm. The beds were very comfy and every detail was perfect in everyway, the carpet was like standing on a cloud with the most beautiful pattern detailed throughout.

The Themed suites are even more special, at 23 years old I had to stay in one! The room we stayed in was called the Laaf suite, when you opened the door music from Laaf land played causing both my dad and I to smile till our faces hurt. There were sweets spread out all around the room and crayons with colouring books for children. As much detail as you could fit in from Laaf land was placed in the room from Laaf people throughout to hidden light switches and a round bed. The room included two double beds and a curtain divided the tower ‘room’ to create a separate living quarter so it was suitable for e.g. two sets of partners or a father and daughter in this case. The room also included a sofa, fridge and coffee/tea facilities, a round table with the famous round-bottomed glasses of Laaf land and barrel chairs.

The rest of the Hotel was just as detailed in everyway. The breakfast buffet had special low counters so children can reach; with characters from the carnival ride decorating the buffet area. The main reception has a TV with cartoons of De Efteling on loop where all the child guests huddle round in awe. My favourite area was the bar, the food is amazing with a wide variety of food and snacks on offer and its also very reasonably priced, be warned the portions of food are huge but I’m not complaining. All the staff in the bar are very welcoming and friendly. Outside the Hotel is still beautiful in detail with a Holle Bolle Gijs bin to complete the theme from the park.

I cant wait to stay at this Hotel again it was utterly amazing, hopefully we will visit as a family in April 2013 If I get my way but in a different themed room, my aim is to stay in all of them! Next I think it will be the Carousel suite or I would recommend De Efteling Hotel and Park to anyone with or without children, but I can say I have never stayed in such a magical welcoming Hotel.

I must add the negative reviews would not occur if you truely understood the park and had been on previous occasions, as the decor relates to the park and its 65 year history.

Room Tip: Pick a room that you find magical and you'll enjoy the most. Upgrading to a tower/themed room is completly worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Megan L
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Very bad start: they did not have my reservation. After a long drive that is not the message you are waiting for. No apologies, only questions such as was I sure I had booked the Efteling hotel and not a hotel in the neighbourhood. Duh!
Possible explanation from staff; they had not entered the booking.com booking that is delivered by mail, into their system yet. Well, I made the reservation a week ago, that is quite a back-log!
Even more surprising, as I had sent an email directly to the hotel that morning, that I had booked through booking.com and had an additional preference. They could have noticed then, that my reservation was not in the system yet.
The lady behind the reception did not hesitate to pick up the phone and answer a call, while I was still standing at her desk and the problem about the reservation had not been resolved yet.

The comfort room with double bed was at the back (away from the busy main road) as I requested, but be aware that it is still very noisy if you would open the window. I would not recommend first floor, as it had a view at a flat roof of the restaurant or something.
The comfort room itself is nice, with its rich blue satin curtains and velvet chairs. It gave gave an impression of a room for fairy tale royalty. But the bathroom is very corny, just as the lobby of the hotel.

Bathroom is very small, shower in bath, which is a disappointment for a hotel build in 1999!
Nice touches for the children, such as a step on in the bathroom. The Rituals shampoo etc are a nice touch, too bad those ugly cheap looking Dove squeezers were not removed from the wall. (nothing wrong with Dove, but those squeezing things look cheap).

No safe in the room (not all the rooms have them, according to personnel, contrary what I understood from the description on booking.com) Offered altenative: a safe downstairs.
Well, not very relaxed if you have to walk downstairs to grab your valuables, computer, phones etc.
No little fridge and no coffee and tea in the room.
Fee wireless is great, good connection.

Besides the restaurants, and play room for children, there seemed to be very little to do in the hotel. And the decor was not very cheerfull. It looked very old-fashioned.

I did not like that that you had to decide beforehand at what time you wanted to take breakfast, apparently there are 3 shifts. That might be a capacity-thing, or have to do with entertainment for the children during breakfast, but I found it a-relaxed to have to decide beforehand and not being able to walk in whenever I wanted to have breakfast.
But breakfast itself was very very nice, which a large variety of food, and well presented.

It is great that hotel guests can enter the park half an hour earlier through a special entrance. But attractions are not open yet, and you still have to stand in line for at least half an hour. Well, we were in the front of the line I guess, but it would have be nicer if the attractions were already running.

In short; the hotel is ok for the price I paid for it (113 single use, 143 2pp, including breakfast, excluding park fee), as the room is comfortable, it is very close to the efteling and you can enter the park half an hour earlier. But think hard before paying much more.
In my opinion, the facilities in the hotel are so limited (only restaurants and playroom), that it is not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family