“Disappointing”

Hampshire Hotel - Crown Eindhoven
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Eindhoven
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 7, 2009

I stayed here while attending a conference in Eindhoven. Although it claims to be 4 star, I have been in 2 star hotels that are better equipped. The room was acceptable although, like the rest of the hotel, the decor and facilities were a bit tired. The public lounge at the hotel entrance is tiny and uncomfortable, which is quite unfortunate since this, and the restaurant, are the only places with wifi. I ate dinner here with colleagues. The food fine, but we had to wait over an hour for it to arrive. The breakfast was average but wildly expensive.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hampshire Hotel - Crown Eindhoven

Reviewed November 4, 2009

I was given a surprise weekend in Eindhoven by my husband for my 40th birthday. I'd lived there as a child and had longed to revisit the Efteling so we were in the perfect city for that. The Eden Crown Hotel was fabulous, the room was spacious and adequate, nice bathrooms, ample toiletries provided. The restaurant and food were first class and the staff extremely helpful.

The only downside was that a kettle and tea making facilities are not automatically provided, they must be requested and that is not made clear during booking or on arrival. This means that after the restaurant and bar close you have no options for a cup of tea or coffee and we were taken by surprise at how early they closed. By the time we realised we were too late to request a kettle and the staff were not prepared to make us a cup of tea. My husband ended up going out to McDonald's to bring me a cup back after an extremely long day at The Efteling. I'd possibly also suggest their cleaning teams vacuum the bathroom ceilings as thick dust could be observed above the slatted effect ceiling which I assume doubles as extraction when the bathroom is in use.

Despite this I would definitely stay again, just remember, if you book, to request a kettle!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2009

The room we booked (executive room so not a standard one) was small, dated and very noicy. Not only from the hallway, nextdoor but most of all from the streets. Since it's located in a nightclub/bar area, people were shouting until 5 in the morning! Also, parking is not so convenient (parking in paid parking couple of blocks away). Only positive thing was the breakfast (looks, service and food).

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel for 1 night in February. We stayed at this hotel and the reason for my visit was to watch football in Eindhoven - PSV. The Hotel was ideally situated in the town centre and about a 10-15 minute walk to the ground. It took us about 5 minutes to walk to the hotel form the railway station. The price was excellent. The Hotel staff were friendly and made you welcome. The hotel and room was fantastic for my needs with all the usual comforts. The breakfast was taken in an adjacent bakery next door. Do not be put off by this at all. It was excellent. The choice and quality of food was really good and the staff really friendly. The hotel is right in the centre of town and it is a good base for the football ground which was the reason I booked it. If you want quality at a really good price then book this Hotel. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I stayed here for three nights having been booked into the Holiday Inn. What the Holiday Inn didn't bother to say was that it was closed for redecoration, and I was taken to the Eden Crown.

It's clean, and my bed was comfortable, but the bathroom was tiny - the bath was an odd wedge shape and there was no way of stopping water from cascading onto the floor when showering. Good flat screen TV and a very posh coffee maker suddenly appeared on my second day.

Poor room service menu - burgers or pasta.

Staff very polite and friendly.

There is free wifi but only in the lobby and that is very small. Not good for business guests.

BUT I had to leave very early (6am) to catch a plane so only cursorily glanced at my bill. When I got home I found I'd been charged 17 euros a time for breakfasts I hadn't eaten!!! I'd had breakfast once and found it the usual poor value (I don't like continental breakfast and since I only have a coffee and toast I'm not prepared to pay 17 euros for that) so I didn't bother on the other two mornings and anyway the restaurant wasn't open when I left. That didn't stop them charging me though. So beware and watch your bill.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Not worthy of 4 stars - more like a 2 star. Parking is horrible, have to walk two blocks and enter the parking via the car entry ramp in the mornings which is also dangerous. New restaurant following remodeling is very disappointing - very "plastic" with no atmosphere whatsoever and very limited menu - you will want to dine elsewhere. Virtually no place to sit in lobby except for two or three uncomfortable chairs. The old bar was much better and the breakfast on the 2nd floor prior to remodeling was much better than now. Only advantage to this hotel (which has very small rooms) is close proximity to central Eindhoven and rail station. I have previously stayed at the Crown approximately 15 times but never again - very disappointing experience. Holiday Inn nearby (also now owned by Eden chain) has bigger rooms and better car parking. Internet is free in so-called lobby but 15 Euro in rooms. This hotel is not a good choice for business travelers.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2008

We stayed at the Eden Crown for 2 nights, very nice hotel, staff very friendly and polite.

Hotel a stones throw from Eindhoven Central station which was a bonus and approximately 15 minutes drive from the airport.

Breakfast was ok, American style buffet.

Overall, I recommend this hotel for a weekend break or short stay, price very reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)