“Fantastic location, helpful service, but don't forget the ear plugs”
Review of Hotel Au Quartier

Hotel Au Quartier
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Maastricht
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Travelled as a lone traveller attending a conference at the local University. Had a very pleasant 3 night stay over all.

Staff were friendly and welcoming. I messed up setting my safe password and it was rectified instantly.

My room was very clean. The beds were very comfortable indeed, crisp white sheets and lots of comfy pillows. There were blackout curtains on all the windows. The room also had an ample wardrobe, lots of nice lighting and a desk and chair. There was a very large television, telephone, hairdryer etc. All exactly as you would expect and in good working order. The bathroom was large, warm, spotlessly clean and had a huge deep bath and great shower with ample hot water. Although the hotel advertised free wifi I must admit that the quality of the signal I got was so low it was impossible to use Skype and I only managed to check emails once during the whole 3 day visit. This is disappointing if you are relying on having internet access for work purposes.

I had breakfast on all three mornings and it was a typical continental-style help yourself buffett with lots of choice of breads, fruits, juices, cereals, meats, cheeses, etc.

My main criticism of this hotel isn't a major one and is easily overcome - noise from outside at night. Although the street is incredibly quiet the windows keep out no noise whatsoever. I was woken numerous times during the night by people riding pushbikes, the odd car, people walking and then when the pigeons started in the early hours I actually thought they were inside the room with me.

My tip, bring your ear plugs because the location of this lovely little hotel is well worth it. A few minutes walk from all the shops, bars, cafes and sights of Maastricht.

If I ever have the pleasure of going to Maastricht again I would rebook without hestiation.

Room Tip: I would ask for a non-street side room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SueEEESue
There are newer reviews for Hotel Au Quartier

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This 3* hotel in the old part of Maastricht was a hoot, but I would not recommend it to anyone who likes his/her hotel to be predictable and untroubled. Arriving in Maastricht at 1330 I found the hotel front door closed and no amount of knocking or ringing could rouse anyone. After finding another hotel and ringing, they opened the door, having been in a far off part of the restaurant. My room wasn't ready yet, although I was sent up there with the key to find it unwelcoming. 20 minutes later I was in. I had a room on the street and it was noisy despite being far enough away from the Vrijthof main square. Would definitely bring ear plugs. Breakfast was great, although expect to boil your own egg. The guest at the next table cracked his open not realising it was raw with predictable results. Finally, needing some shirts cleaned, I sent them for laundry. 48 hours and ready to leave, they were not back. The owner's brother was dispatched and ll turned out well in the end. I really liked this hotel despite its various oddities. The manager was always willing to make a plan and it was certainly never boring. But nervous travellers beware and probably go for something a tadge more boring.

Room Tip: Didn't get to check out rooms off the street, but bring ear plugs whatever happens
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Marc M
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Very nice hotel where we stayed for two nights. The hotel is located in an attractive part of historic Maastricht. The road outside the hotel has hardly any car traffic. Breakfast is quite basic. Bedroom was fine. Had an evening meal in the restaurant where the food and service met our expectations. Snowing outside but the rooms were nice and warm.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Marc S
Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's ok. Not bad, not good, just fine for a couple of nights in Maastricht. The first night and morning there was no hot water; it was fixed the next day. Breakfast ok too. The service was correct, not polite, not unpolite; for example, nobody said "sorry" about there not being hot water, nor was I informed that it had been fixed; I had to ask around. But all in all, I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Upper floor is nice, maybe not in the summer though.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed in this lovely hotel in what must have been one of the hottest days in August. The room was not air-conitioned but the staff placed a fan in the room which made it bearable. Despite being on the front of the hotel, noise was not a problem. Breakfast was fine, and served in the restaurant. The evening before we ate in the courtyard which is delightful. The food is OK, the menu doesn't seem to change very much, and I would have preferred a choice of sweet rather than the sloppy trifle.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank themoustache
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've just returned from a trip to Maastricht with my husband. We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and could not find any fault. The staff were friendly and the room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was plentiful and served until 10.30, so good for those that like a little longer in bed. We ate in the restaurant one evening and this was included in the price of our stay. You can't book online but it is worth it to call or email and ask for a deal - we got 3 nights with breakfast and 1 dinner + wine for 192 euros each.
The hotel is close to the town and lots of lovely restaurants too. Please don't overlook this hotel - it is a real gem!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissGeorgeLittle
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Lovely people. Great place. Stunning restraunt downstairs and very good value. Highly recommended. We tried hotel L'Orangiere (or something) first but the only good thing about that place is that we got a refund. There were drug deals happing on the street in front regularly and it was old and filthy. Au Quartier is nicer, cleaner, more friendly, better located, safer and.... CHEAPER!

• Stayed: July 2012