“Unique, beautiful hotel, with comfortable bed and upscale, elegant shower”

Kruisherenhotel Maastricht
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Maastricht
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

The lobby reception and bar area is fantastically beautiful and unique. (I could go on and on about this but only photo's can do justice.) The desk check-in staff was professional and extremely courteous and helpful. The bar wait staff also excellent (I had wine and soup that was delicious).
My room was up 2 flights of stairs but there are bellman to help with luggage. The wifi is free in the lobby, reception, bar and breakfast areas but there was no wifi in my room (internet only via ethernet in my room-which didn't work with my iPhone or my new Macbook Pro!!!!!). The bathroom was very large, like new and and very nice with a beautiful glass wall that was architecturally pleasing. The reading lamps were excellent and the bed and bedding super comfortable and luxurious.
My big problem:
I forgot to mention this when checking out so I'll do so here. I'm sure this can be fixed but I HATED the shower in my room. If you like a rain fall shower - you'll be fine but I don't care for them (takes too long to rinse my long, thick hair). The problem was the handheld showerhead was not working properly. When I turned it on, the showerhead water aimed for the ceiling. The usual adjustments to the attachment device did not work. One should be able to adjust and aim the handheld down (like a regular showerhead). My only solution was to hold the shower head in one hand while I wrestled with my shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc with the other hand. It took forever to shower and wash my hair (not the worst problem but unworthy of a hotel at this price point.) Lack of wifi in room and difficult shower experience left me feeling grumpy. Overall, though, I would highly recommend this hotel (just expect no wifi and check your showerhead before you settle in to your room.) Hotel was easy walk to town center and Maastricht is a charming city! Taxi from train station to hotel was 15,50€. Taxi from hotel to train station was 8,70€. (whatever....)

• Stayed: December 2012
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear lydjoseph,

Many thanks for your extensive review about your stay in the Kruisherenhotel.

On request we can bring an Airport in your room so you have Wifi in your room.

Furthermore you mentioned our rainshower, this depends on your personal preferences, some guest really like the rainshower, others do not. We will look into the comment about the handshower which sprayed to the ceiling.

We hope to welcome you again and please give us a call so we can book a taxi to pick you up at the trainstation to avoid such big price differences.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was here in Maastricht on academic business. This renovated abbey church still impresses me when I enter, combining ancient ecclesiastical architecture with up-to-the-minute design. They make full use of the space in the nave - and, trust me - you will never have had breakfast in a place like it.

Staff are friendly and helpful, despite some of the complex visitors they have to cope with. I had had to cancel the previous night having been prevented from travelling, and they couldn´t have been more understanding, despite my lack of communication.

One thing I still have to do. I haven´t yet had dinner here. It´s supposed to be good. So if you´re in the region, then put this one on your list.

Room Tip: Give yourself a surprise. They all seem different.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SwissFrenchBrit
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear SwissFrenchBrit,

Many thanks for reviewing your stay.

We passed the comments about our team-members on to them!

Your of course more then welcome to join us for dinner, which is served in the area where you can have breakfast!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a top-of-the-line hotel. It is located in the city-center of Maastricht, and is a renovated 15th century monastery of the Crutched Friars with a Gothic exterior and a sleek, modern interior. The church/cloister, turned into a hotel, is magnificent. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious, and the service impeccable. The rooms are unique, modern, and very comfortable. The bathrooms are modern and spacious, with a bathtub and a shower. We have a meal function there, and the seafood bar was amazing! A pasta and a pizza bar were set up in the courtyard.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor, and you must walk up some steep stairs to get to the room. If you are not...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear MariaRDH,

Thank you for reviewing your stay and uploading the pictures. The colorfull paintings are from a temporary exhibition from Kamagurka.

Our a-la menu's are more fine-dining but we can indeed cater for groups up to 800 people.

We hope to welcome you back in the future,

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel surprised with its unique design features. Although only 60 beds, it felt like a bigger business hotel (with all mod cons) and yet it still had a very intimate feel to it. The best of both worlds.

You must use the toilets in the lobby, have a drink at the bar and sit in the alcove of the church windows for the delicious breakfast (obviously not all at the same time) !

Fabulous for shopping, walking and a wonderful get-away - even for one night!

Service was top class and the hotel even had a super gift waiting for me for my birthday. A lovely surprise!

We will be back!!! Thank you Kruisherenhotel!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Elisa F,

Many thanks for writing a review about your stay in the Kruisherenhotel.

We are looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I can be brief here; best hotel in Maastricht. They renovated a church and convent into a wonderfull hotel. Good size rooms, trendy design but still comfortable. Excellent Auping-beds and very good breakfast.
Good value for money and the best location in very attractive, most southern city in the Netherlands.
And when you go; book their Chateau Neercanne for lunch or dinner (amazing venue and amazing food!); you'll need a taxi you will most certainly NOT be disappointed. They have packages, combining the two experiences.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank HPBKraaijeveld
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear HPBKraaijeveld,

Many thanks for reviewing your stay in the Kruisherenhotel. We get a lot of positive reactions on the Design and Dining package with our colleagues from Chateau Neercanne.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We returned to Maastricht for a long weekend to catch the pre-Christmas buzz and having coveted the hotel whilst living in the city I was delighted to be surprised by a few nights there by my boyfriend. We had used the bar and restaurant before so expected a high standard for the bedrooms and we were certainly not disappointed. The renovation across the building is superb and the attention to detail in the rooms was only matched by the attention to detail from the staff. Yes, it is quite expensive, but very much worth it. On parking though, I echo previous comments and recommend parking in the underground at the Vrijthof. Great hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Gracehound,

Thank you very much for the kind review about our Hotel.

It always good to hear that people return to the Kruisherenhotel after postive experiences in the past. It is nice to hear that you not only liked our building but also appreciated our the attention you had from our Teammembers.

We are looking forward to welcome you in the future!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a triple room, very quiet with perfect air conditioning, spotless and comfortable. I wasn't quite happy with the open bathroom solution but that was expected and accepted. I didn't experience any problems with the glass door mentioned in other reviews, in fact I hardly noticed it.
It was easy to drive to the hotel and stop at the entrace. they offered valet parking with no access to the car, which I rejected. Instead I used a good underground public parking a few blocks away. They have quite large and empty parking lot right in front of the hotel, and I didn't understand why it couldn't be used for a night parking.
We had a dinner in the hotel restaurantant and enjoyed every bit of it. The surrounding was fantastic as well as the food.
I'm generally not in favour of redesigned historical buildings, but this one was not ruined, and the modern elements were pretty much in harmony with the old walls. The only negative part of it was the restaurant platform when you look at it from the ground level.
The hotel is extremely expensive as well as the dinner, but in such places one pays for experience, not for a sleep..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank smk000
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Smk000,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Kruisherenhotel.

Nice to hear that you enjoyed the conversion of the Church and monastery. We have worked with famous architects and designers in order to preserve the building in a nice way with a very modern twist. Everything that has been changed in the building can be reversed into it's original shape. This was one of the conditions when the building permission was given.

The carpark in front of the Hotel is only for a short stop to unload your car. We do offer a valet service where we park the car two blocks away from the Hotel, and if you would like to use it during your stay we are more then happy to get the car for you.

Hope to welcome you again in the future,