“Quite expensive for what it was”

Crowne Plaza Maastricht
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Maastricht
Leatherhead
“Quite expensive for what it was”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We paid a premium for the room here- maybe because it was the Spa grand prix and a lot of people stay in Maastricht. It was ok and clean by lacked any sort if wow factor that I would expect from a 5 star hotel at this price.
The location was good- just across the river from the town centre.
You could do about worse than this but it was nothing special really.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and had our dog with us. All the staff were really helpful and friendly. The room was a little dated as was the bathroom but overall it was good value for money. The breakfast was massive and great. Definitely worth staying here if you are in Maastricht.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goodwoodgiraffe
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This hotel needs a good refurbishment, room is ok but bathroom definitely to old for prices, service is good as well as location and beds. Should be more luxurious for prices paid

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank wilmick
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I recently stayed with my father at the Crowne Plaza Maastricht which we were using as our base to attend the Belgian Spa Grand Prix. Having stayed previously at Crowne Plaza hotels, I had high expectations. On arrival, following a drive from the UK, we found that the hotel parking was very poorly signposted. My father had to jump out and run into reception (through the rain) to find out where the carpark was and how to access it. This whole process requires improvement. On arrival at reception, we checked in and were given the key-cards to our room. I was dismayed to find we had been allocated a double room rather than the twin room that had been specified. A phone call to reception later and we were offered the option of staying in the room we had been allocated (which was an upgraded deluxe room) with a rollaway bed or take a twin room in the unrefurbished part of the hotel that was not a deluxe room. We opted to stay in the deluxe room with a rollaway bed. The staff were effecient in sorting this out but I was frustrated that the problem had even arisen as my instructions were clear as part of the booking process.

I was further disappointed to find that wifi was a costed extra in a hotel which I would consider to be at the higher end of the market. Come on - it's 2011 not 1911. I have stayed in backpacker hostels that offer free wifi and it is unacceptable, given the price that is being charged, that wifi isn't included as standard.

The TV in the room was pretty hopeless. It was impossible to determine which channel was being viewed as there was no on-screen display, the volume on the TV was abysmal and even cranked up to full volume was difficult to hear and it wasn't possible to directly enter a channel number which required incrementing each channel one by one. This can quickly become annoying.

We had a poor night's sleep as it became obvious that our room was not only situated very near to the lifts but also seemingly underneath the lift pulley system which sounded like it was housed directly above our room. There was a near constant mechanical whine and whirr throughout the night as the lift was called.

So to breakfast he following morning. It wasn't clear whether breakfast was included so we checked at the podium outside the breakfast room and our names were included on the list, generally a sign (in my experience) that breakfast is included in the room rate. We proceeded to have a light breakfast. On our way back to the room I decided to check again with reception and we were informed that actually breakfast wasn't included. We had just been fleeced 48 euros for some scrambled eggs and a croissant. Outrageous prices for breakfast. Even if I had eaten everything on offer at the breakfast buffet it wasn't worth 24 euros a head. Even more frustrating was that the following day we decided to skip breakfast given the prohibitive prices. This did not prevent breakfast being charged to my bill. I queried this with reception and they said that they had assumed we would be taking breakfast again. What? Since when have hotels employed mind-readers who can anticipate my every action? I've never heard of this before. Anticipatory breakfast charging.

On check out from the hotel, I paid close attention to the charges on the bill and I was in equal measure delighted and dismayed to see yet another inconsistency. We had now not been charged for breakfast on either day we stayed. So was breakfast included or not? I was happy that I didn't need to take out a second mortgage to pay for the eggs and croissants so I decided not to query the bill any further.

Taking all of this into consideration I would choose somewhere else to stay if visiting Maastricht again and Crowne Plaza need to buck their ideas up considerably.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Netherlands
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Nice hotel good location, really good breakfast Rooms especially bathroom starting to show age Long lines to checkout, took over a half but friendly staff

• Stayed July 2011
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed July 27, 2011

When you choose a hotel like Crowne Plaza you have some expectations. I am a platinum member and have been to this same location for at least 7 years. They still charge for internet (99% of the IChotels I have stayed, and they are many, do not charge for internet). The parking costo 22 euros per day which I think is really too much, and breakfast is really expensive at 26 euros.
Air condition is not very good. Minibar accesible but the products too expensive. I found a super market very close so I decided to buy my own.
Location is superb, but I think it is time to move to other hotel that do not charge for internet and parking. Between internet, parking and breakfast the cost of a room doubles.

Room Tip: Try to get one in the newes area.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Location super but service/attention to detail not good....under-staffed in our opinion.

Room Tip: Basic room, not fancy
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple