“Always a pleasant stay, probably best or near best in town”
Review of Asgard Hotel

Asgard Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Groningen
Stockholm, Sweden
“Always a pleasant stay, probably best or near best in town”
Reviewed December 24, 2010

Stayed here many times by now and felt I should write a review, Stay here 2-4 days about 6 times per year. It's not a super trendy hotel, but everything you need is there, everything works, it's very clean and the staff is excellent. They also have bikes for 5 euro a day, very convenient and a deal with Fitness First where you can train for free as a hotel guest. I wouldn't go anywhere else in Groningen.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank EuropeanVoyager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2010

The clean room was decorated very stylish. The terrace that came with our room was a nice extra (not all rooms have this, so ask for it when you do your booking).
Two things were missing: airconditioning and a fridge. Also the breakfast was very minimal. Especially if you look at the price you pay for it. For that price you can better walk into town and have some food.
The hotel is located in the museum district of Groningen. Everything is nearby: shops, restaurants, museums, the railway station.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Ingriddv
London
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I stayed at the hotel for two nights, so that I could participate in the Zomerjazzfietstour, a festival where all the gigs are in churches around Groningen.
The hotel is just 5 minutes from the station (convenient as that's where I hired the bicycle). Large room, efficient wifi, fresh breakfast with warm croissants and pleasant staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
London
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Modern and relatively new boutique hotel in the centre of Groningen. Very friendly and helpful reception staff, spacious and nicely decorated rooms (natural materials only). Location is excellent, in the centre (south side), only a 5 min walk away from central station, and with private car parking spaces. Our room rate included a nice continental breakfast and the reception staff will offer some good restaurant recommendations. Hotel is in a quiet street. Perhaps the only negative for me was the twin style matrasses on one bed, but the bed was very comfortable and we would certainly stay here again on a next visit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We stayed a night at The Asgard hotel. Very good location, close to the Groninger Museum and good walking distance to the citycenter.
Modern and clean interior and extremely nice staff !
Good breakfast. A good choice if you plan to visit that lovely city Groningen !
Lunch: het Feithuis !

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2009

The Asgard hotel is very very close to the train station which is why we stayed. It was also very quiet which is why we would stay again if we returned. It is not right in the center of things but close enough to easily walk to the shops, restaurants and squares of the old city center.

The hotel is a very small boutique hotel with a trendy, i.e., minimalist, interior decorated with natural elements. The rooms are also very minimalist but comfortable with everything you need. We enjoyed the bathroom’s rain shower and floor heating.

The hotel offers a continental breakfast buffet and a bar on the main floor. The wi-fi was not working when we were there but they let us use the office computer to print our airline boarding passes.

Everyone seemed friendly and helpful including some whose English was not exactly fluent.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank artslover
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed July 17, 2009

On my first trip to Groningen, I trusted tripadvisor in selecting the hotel for me and what a great choice that was.

The hotel is very chic, modern and minimalistic, right up my alley. I had some trouble finding the hotel, as it is on a small one way street, but a few trips around the block and some swearing at my GPS got me to the hotel late Sunday night.
I was very warmly greeted and check-in was a breeze, they had my key and papers ready, all I had to do was sign them. Since I arrived by car, I had booked a parking spot, which is at a gated area 2 min walk from the hotel.
The room was a normal European hotel room size, made with very modern and natural materials, no plastic floors or anything. The desk in my room was very big, which I loved since I then had room for my laptop and all my papers on it at the same time, perfect. Also there's both wired and wireless free Internet in the hotel. The bathroom had a nice big shower, with glass doors. Water does get on the floor when you shower, but nothing bad.
That evening I noticed my sink was all clogged up, the water wouldn't run out of it. Since I was tired, I just left it for the morning where I notified the front desk about it. They offered to fix it right away, but I told them it was fine for when I got back in the afternoon, where it sure enough was fixed to perfection.
The breakfast costs 15 euro I think, if you don't wanna bother with finding a breakfast restaurant in the area, I would absolutely recommend the breakfast at the hotel. It was all organic and had a very nice spread. Even freshly squeezed orange juice, not just from a bottle, this one you could tell was made at the hotel. Otherwise it included eggs, cereal and all kinds of bread. I think the first morning I was the only guest at the hotel eating breakfast, but they still put out the whole buffet just for me, very nice service.

For the business traveler going to Groningen, this is the perfect hotel. Would also work for the modern couple going to explore Groningen, however if you are looking for a romantic themed hotel, then you should probably look somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business