“Good price, nice room, and close to town.”

Hampshire Hotel - Groningen Centre
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Groningen
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am a touring musician so I like my hotels cheap, clean, and convenient. I don't care about workout rooms or pools or how new it is, I just want to relax when I'm in my room! This hotel is within walking distance from the city centre and had underground parking for an additional €15. Parking is important to me as when on tour I am driving from city to city. My room on the 6th floor was spacious and appeared recently refurbished. The view from my room window and from the hallway outside the door was wonerful. Bed comfort was very good, cleanliness in the room and in public areas were perfect. Free coffee and tea (and more importantly, latte and cappuccino!) is available on the ground floor througout the day. The staff was friendly and helpful at all times...(1) when I had trouble making a phone call from both my room and my mobile phone, the girl behind the desk came out to help me from the hotel lobby phone. (2) We didn't want the entire breakfast, so one of the staff spoke to the manager and we were each given a croissant with jam for no charge with our coffee. Internet was available for free and worked better on my phone than on my laptop, not sure why. Wi-fi in the lobby had no problems. Please note that there is limited space in the parking garage and you must leave your keys with the hotel desk. As a driver raised in America, I found the small spaces intimidating but having lived in the UK for the past year I am familiar with the impossibly small spaces you sometimes have to maneuver your car into...I managed it in my slightly-smaller-than-average size Toyota sports car but if you are driving an SUV and are from America, you might find it challenging to park. Given the size and quality of the room as well as the central location, you get a lot for the money. The Hampshire City Hotel was nearer the venue we were playing at, but more expensive...I might stay there but I will likely return to this hotel when we come back next year to Groningen...either way, I would definitely recommend the Hampshire chain of hotels as my first choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Once again this was a one night stop hotel. The hotel is poorly signposted and could be difficult to find. Modern in design, with a friendly reception. Has a swimming pool (not used by us) and close to a park area, which is ideal for a short walk. Wifi in the rooms was patchy, and no tea/coffee facilities in the room. We had a standard meal in the restaurant, with a bottle of wine, and this worked out at over £80 for 2 of us - overpriced for the quality, in our opinion.
Looks more like a business persons hotel, rather than a holiday maker!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Hampshire Hotel Groningen Centre is conveniently located in walking distance from both city centre and main railway station.
Obviously our spacious room was refurbished recently. Bed comfort was very good, cleanliness in the room and in public areas were perfect. Free coffee and tea is available on the ground floor througout the day. Very nice for an afternoon break! The staff was friendly and helpful at all times. Another highlight: Internet was available for free.
Given the size and quality of the room as well as the central location, you get a lot for the money. I would definitely return to this hotel for my next trip to Groningen.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I find the service great, food great and the rooms very comfortable . Just missing a workout room which would have made it more except able. The staff has alway been helpful and practical. It is good to be at a hotel where the atmosphere is great from when you first come in and you see that it is genuine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Inexpensive hotel with no frills although web photos look boutique. Double standard room inexpensive but felt too small, it was clean but dusty on arrival, bed made each morning, but badly and had to be done again myself. Litter bin only emptied twice during a 4 night stay. No shaving point in bathroom, bedroom mirror 2 mtrs away from any electrical socket, so had to dry hair bit by bit and walk over to mirror to view, not good for most women. Towels clean but threadbare. Soap, shower gel, moisture cream and shower cap in bathroom, good. The whole of hotel looked like it could do with a lick of paint and refurbishment, although was probably quite chic when first completed. Breakfast not included in web price as stated, but expensive at nearly 15 euro pp and hot food rather cold, rest of breakfast good. No tea/coffee in room, but free 24hrs a day in lounge area which was good. Hotel seemed to be used mostly by business people rather then holiday makers, they certainly made good use of drinks facilities! Staff smart and friendly, no problem when I asked for extra pillows (only one each in room), and even extra duvet at 11.00 pm on 1st night as room cold (radiator had been turned off, fine after turned on for a few hrs). Hotel in quiet area, especially as we were on 6th floor, easy to walk into city ctr, around 5/10 mins.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here twice for a week. The first time, we had some issues with housekeeping not properly cleaning our room, but the second time all was well.

The free coffee downstairs beats any coffee-in-the-room setup and the wonderful library is a great place to just sit and have a chat.

It's very close to the city center and lots of nice restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Although the staff is very helpfull, the hotel is very average. Rather small room, basic breakfast but it will give you just enough to start the day. The parking is very small too, not easy to park your car. The price is also average what could make your stay a bit more comfortable...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business