“Good, not great. Ask for an extra pillow.”

Hampshire Hotel - Groningen Centre
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Groningen
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Good, not great. Ask for an extra pillow.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Hampshire Hotel. I remembered our first visit (two years) ago being a little bit more comfortable. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The location is very good. A 10 minute walk from the Train station and about the same from the Martinikerk, but still in the central part of town. Our favorite pancake restaurant is only a 5 minute walk away as well as a good eetcafe called The Black Sheep. Despite the good things, there were some not so good. I did not have a good night's sleep. The pillows should have been thrown out a year ago. I had to ask for an extra one. Bed could have been more comfortable as well. The shower made an obnoxiously loud noise. Breakfast was very good, but pricey--15 euros. Hotel was very clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Hampshire hotel is a nice and clean hotel. We had a recently refurbished room and it looked all very new. They have a good library as well where you could work. We found the staff also very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I had booked my room one week before I got there, and it was in promotion period. The price was perfect ( the same as hostel ) but with clean private bathroom. The space and the view were nice especially in a snowing day. Coffee, tea and hot water were all free as our staying. And they even kept our luggage when we needed to visit after returning the room. In a word, it could be one of the best services I have ever had. :)

Room Tip: Check the promotion when you are booking. Higher floor could have better views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is a combined review of our four visits. We first booked here as a way station on a longer trip. It was short walk from the train station (15 minutes) and was reasonably priced, Our second visit, we traveled with a friend and did a careful survey for best price/value; tubs, large beds, location. We were there for the TakeRoot festival. This Hampshire won again. The last two times we were traveling on business for her. We were delighted that, once again, this hotel lived up to previous experiences.

The good: Rooms, location, library (huge!), breakfast.
The odd: Aside from breakfast, the hotel doesn't have food.They will cater business lunches, and there are plenty of options in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: We'd say go for one with a tub and a king-sized bed. But that's us. :)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nieuwegein, Nederland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Matched my expectations. Staff was friendly and helpful. Unfortunately our dog suffered a stroke so we had to cancel the last night, which was not a problem at all. Beds are a bit on the hard side but hey, now I am nagging :-)

Room Tip: A room on the top floor, facing North, will give you a nice view of the city center and Martini towe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

I requested something special in our room as i was visiting my girlfriend who i have not seen for 3 months, within a few hours i recieved a call from the hotel with options of how to make our stay a little bit more special. The lady i spoke to was very friendly and organised candles around the room, rose petals shaped like a heart on the bed and a bottle of wine waiting for us on arrival. She also offered an upgrade for 30 euros a night which i thought was quite expensive but because the standard room which i booked had 2 single beds in it i had no choice but to take this. I work in hotels myself and this is the first i have heard of a standard room having 2 singles with no option for a double. The hotel seemed really quiet during our stay and i thought as a good will gesture a complimentry upgrade would not have been to much to expect. Maybe I expected too much. All in all the hotel was clean, friendly but one minor issue we had was housekeeping had taken somthing from our room that belonged to us having thought it belonged to the hotel. I asked at reception and in all fairness it was returned within 30 mins with an appology. The price I paid seemed a little steep for a 3 star hotel that i can honestly say i saw maybe 4 other guests during our stay so occupancy levels where not high enough to justify the price plus the 30 euros extra per night for a double bed. I will be returning to the city again soon to see my girlfriend and might stay here again if they lower the rates a little.

Room Tip: Be careful booking a standard room if you want a double bed, they dont have them!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Hampshire recently bought out another chain resulting in at least two Hampshires very very close together. Even more confusing is that the building says Freia way up on top in big letters and on the south side with the entrance, it says "De Nieue Academie" directly over the entrance in big letters.

One place says the hotel was built in 1960. I think it might have been separate buildings made into one hotel, since there are at least two elevators quite far apart and they seem to take you to entirely different places.

This Hampshire is nice, with huge rooms and bathrooms. The bathroom has a huge tub AND a shower and a heated towel rack. The bathroom is very large as well. There was a person practicing his cello two doors down from our room every time we went by, but we couldn't hear it at all in the room.

I like to sleep in the cool, and we can't get the room below 18, but that is still acceptable.

Everything is clean and comfortable. The front desk staff is nice and extremely helpful and friendly. Their English is good. This is clearly a business hotel first and foremost, and they don't seem to know a lot about local tourism. Go to the information center to get that information.

Wifi accessibility in my corner room is acceptable. There was some confusion, but wifi is free throughout the hotel.

I was put out that when booking the room I specifically did NOT sign up for breakfast, but they insisted when we checked in that it be added. We don't eat breakfast, and this upped the price thirty Euro a day for the two of us. Ouch!

Electricity is a problem for me. You have to put your card in the slot inside the door to your room to get electricity to work in your room. A great idea, except if you are charging your computer, phone, GPS, etc. they won't charge when you leave unless you get a second card.

There is only ONE outlet by each side of the bed. I sleep with a CPAP machine which must be plugged in and I like having a light. I bought an electrical strip so this would work, but when my husband turns off the light on his side of the bed, mine goes out as well and the CPAP goes off. We have to unplug the lights each night for the CPAP to keep working. This is common in European hotels, I've found. I like to save electricity, but I would also like to be able to breathe at night and charge my "stuff."

Great hotel, overall. Breakfast is good, but now worth fifteen Euro each. Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate are available 24/7. And the personnel are super.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple