“Great design”

Ranked #3 of 13 Groningen B&B and Inns
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Great design”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Wonderfully decorated - each room had been designed by different artist. The rooms have this modern, minimalistic, yet chick look and they are in pristine condition. The area is very quiet, and so is the hotel. It is located about 7 min walk from the main square of the Groningen, and very close to a great park. Kitchen and lobby are awesome, I really enjoyed using them, they have this fancy yet friendly character.
The only thing I did not like is that for almost a week that we stayed there, the room got not cleaned even once, and despite my requests. I am not that surprised they got ignored, the place does not have a proper reception desk, all, like keys and payments, is arranged in the restaurant by the waitresses. I ended up swiping the floor with toilet paper, and no, I am not crazy, I stayed there with a 19 month old baby who was all over the floor. Hence two stars down.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Het Paleis in Groningen, NL, is a different place to stay and sleep, in a good way. I like it when I experience cool places or cool people, especially if I didn’t expect it. This is a treasure for people who are interested in art, design, functionality or just genuine cool stuff.

My family and I booked a room at Het Paleis when we decided to make a stopover in Groningen. It looked a bit odd on hotels.com, but when we arrived it was just cool and nice. It’s not a traditional family place to stay, so prepare your kids for a different experience they will remember.

The room was extremely practical with “invisible” beds on the walls and a creative interior. It must have been 4 meters from the floor to the roof, and there were super tall windows. We didn’t get our own toilet or bathroom, but the shared facilities were more than good enough. The shared living room was worth a visit by itself.

The staff was friendly and smiling, and the vegetarian food was excellent, even for a non-vegetarian man.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Abernethy, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

A real pleasure to stay here. Each room individually themed room is great, all appear to be very comfortable, my one was definitely. It's very central yet very quiet and peaceful. Very well equipped also, great lounge area with a fantastic selection of books, I wouldn't want to cook in the kitchen as basic but the brasserie downstairs is lovely. The staff during our stay couldn't be more helpful and I have to thank you all for that. A fantastic week and I look forward to returning!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2011

The Het Paleis is a really refreshing find. I've stayed four or five times now and have thoroughly enjoyed working my way through the differently themed bedrooms - all themed after particular art movements.

Situtated in a quiet area of the city, it's still an easy walk into the city centre where there are a number of good bars and restaurants. The hotel has it's own brasserie and is close to a good supermarket and has a well equipped kitchen next to the lounge area if you feel like eating in.

I always look forward to going back to a friendly welcome from the really helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
France
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We stayed in this hotel 3 nights. Each room is different with its own decoration. There is a common loungde with one TV and the Internet. This hotel is really quiet and peacefull, it means no noizes. There is a restaurant. The first time we went there because it was the closest. For 10€ , disches are excellent! One problem : they don't accept for the moment french credit card or similar (carte bleue, carte VISA...). So you have to pay by cash.
Otherwise, ths staff is nice and helpfull. I recommend this hotel if prices are right for you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family