“Fulfills your basic needs, but nothing more”

Bastion Hotel Apeldoorn Het Loo
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Apeldoorn
Oslo, Norway
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,609 helpful votes
“Fulfills your basic needs, but nothing more”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel due to a business meeting nearby. I did not choose it for other purposes than convenience for my meeting, and in that way the hotel was a success. How ever it is really basic, nothing more. The staff is nice and polite, and the lobby is in its own way quite cozy, with a fire place and some book shelfs.

The restaurant / breakfast area is of average quality. I had a late evening meal - some sort of cold salmon - which was ok.
The breakfast however was not good; not even for this kind of hotel (I like to call it touch and go hotels). Very poor selection of food, though the food that was available was good enough.

My room at the first floor was big - the bathroom was huge, but very sterile; institution like.
I did not find my bed comfortable at all. It felt like the mattress was worn out. The worst thing however, was that the second I laid down, I started itching all over my body. I changed bed (there were two) but the itching continued. I haven't speculated on the reason for this; I hope its not something alive, but rather an allergic reaction to the detergent.

This ended up as a really bad review, but this hotel is actually not that(!) bad. My experience is of course a subjective one, and the reason for the itching could have been very benign. But for me this hotel is touch and go; check in, sleep (hopefully), eat (not the best breakfast) and check out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Imedvindfranord
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Apeldoorn Het Loo, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

Maik Willems

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hellevoetsluis, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Booked this hotel way in advance and got a good deal on the price. Stayed two nights ( Feb. 2nd - Feb. 4th ) in a suite (room #156) on the second floor facing the main street.
I had small problem at check inn. The lady behind the desk showed me a bill that was 50 Euro's
(approx. $65 ) higher than the price that was stated on my confirmation notice. After some help from her colleague it was sorted out and I got the key to my room.
The room is very large, has a mini fridge, a comfortable king size bed and even though it faces the main street ( Loolaan ) you won't hear any street noise. Noises from people walking in the corridor or in the room above can be heard though.
There was hardly any information about the hotel and surroundings to be found in the rooms.
I only had breakfast once in the hotel. It has an average selection. And I noticed, by looking at the other tables, some things were not re stocked.
if you are in town and are looking for a decent hotel then I would surely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I loved the large room ( suite ), so if you are looking for a larger than average room book the suit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Apeldoorn Het Loo, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

I hope to meet you again at our hotel in Amsterdam.

Haworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Well, the guy was shorter and younger than John Cleese but he manned the reception (eventually) served me in the restaurant (eventually) and poured me a beer in the bar (yep, eventually). Either that or there are three triplet brothers running this hotel!!

Oh, and it is soooooooo cold! They turn the heating off overnight so if you arrive late (as I did) and go early (as I was very pleased to) then expect to get frostbite in the winter!

On the plus side the food was very good....if a little dear.

My impression is that this hotel is being run on a shoestring.

Room Tip: Bring a hot water bottle!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Apeldoorn hotels

Chertsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Clearly feeling the economic pinch, the service is run on a shoestring with staff seemingly doing several jobs at the same time (front desk, bar and waiting in restaurant) so restaurant service can be slow at times. Despite this the staff are all very friendly and eager to help.
The hotel is fairly well presented with plenty of parking but for some unfathomable reason the car parks are covered with gravel/shingle that creates a lot of noise when driven over, especially annoying when trying to get off to sleep!
My room was large but two single beds. During my visit the bathroom towels are left where you leave them. Maybe maid service is only done when you check out.
The internet is OK but If you need it for sending emails from your email client, you will be disappointed because the system is not SMTP enabled. You have to use webmail to send.

Room Tip: Ask for rear of hotel (away from the main road).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bastion Hotel G, Manager at Bastion Hotel Apeldoorn Het Loo, responded to this review, January 3, 2013

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights on a business trip.
The hotel value is good for these price ranges. If you need to spend a few nights in Apeldoon, this is a very solid chain hotel.
Rooms are clean and look ok. Not sure why the beds are separated.
Breakfast is very nice and so is the lounge and bar areas. The hotel is very accessible from the local businesses and is about 5-10 minutes fro the city center.
WiFi is a bit slow but ok, and the staff are nice and helpfull.
Bottom line: a solid hotel with good value, but I would probably not come spend my vacation here.

• Stayed December 2012
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Apeldoorn Het Loo, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear guest,

I hope to meet you again at our hotel in Apeldoorn.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I ended up here after a gathering in Apeldoorn and no public transport anymore to take me home. The hotel does not check in late at night, and the staff doesn't know anything (no clue how far they are from the train station, or at what time breakfast starts in the morning).

The last room available was a "suite" but that is just a large room. And it's cold, boy it's freezing! The heating does not help. The bed was fine though and in the morning checking out was fast and easy.

I would not recommend this hotel for a luxurious weekend and that's a pity because the area is one of the most beautiful of the country of Holland and the hotel is close to sights such as the Royal Palace and the National Park. Perhaps the management should get inspired again?

At 140 euro the room was not overly expensive. Oh, and by the way, this hotel is branded "Bastion" now, not Best Western anymore.

Room Tip: Don't book a suite if you expect an en-suite bedroom. Suites are just large single rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Apeldoorn Het Loo, responded to this review, December 17, 2012

Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed at Hotel "Het Loo" twice when doing business in Apeldoorn and I am not likely to come back or recommend the place.
The location is one of the better compared to other hotels in the area. The property is near the palace and park but it is still easy to go to the city by bus. If you are driving, you can park your car for free.
The hotel building probably saw better days 30 years ago and could definitely use a lot of restauration work. The rooms reflect this impression, the furniture is worn and old fashioned - but not antique enough to have any flair. The windows are not well insulated, despite the heating being fully turned up it was still cold in my room.
There is a swimming pool and a small gym (1 treadmill, 1 bike, 1 indoor rower and 1 resistance machine) available - enough to get a bit of exercise in the morning or evening.
The room rates are not terribly expensive but you will find better quality for the same money elsewhere in Apeldoorn. The restaurant is nothing special, ok if you do not want to go out for dinner.
For reasons beyond my understanding the staff was unable to provide me with a correct invoice (needs to show company address for tax reasons) on check-out, although I had provided the details with the reservation and told them again when I arrived. That happened twice and I am not willing to go through any extra hassle because of a hotel chain's inefficient processes - thus they will not see me again.

Room Tip: I did not like any of the rooms I stayed in. One was bigger than the other, but decorated the same.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business