“An atmospheric, quiet and comfortable stay”
Review of Landgoed De Klinze

and 1 more site!
Landgoed De Klinze
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Leeuwarden
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed for four days at the Landgoed De Klinze, a state from 1655. The hotel is surrounded by a large 8 ha park and there is a nice driveway leading upto the mansion. We had a spacious room - the Statekamer Hector - because it has airconditioning (it was around 30 degrees Celsius). Not all rooms have this facility. The nicest asset of the Klinze is the terras with ample protection against to much sun shine. We were there at breakfast, for our morning coffee, the afternoon tea (beer) and the diner. To dine in the Klinze, at the terras or in the restaurant is satisfactory but not the reason to stay at the hotel, although the restaurant is in classic and beautiful room. If you like, you can make nice and interesting cycling tours from the hotel as we did. Good bycicles are for rent at the hotel.
The hotel advertises it self as a 4-star hotel. I would say 3-star, but it is true that we had an atmospheric, quiet and comfortable stay. Finally, and this must be said: In the Klinze there was free Wifi, which is a nice surprise because in hotels in the Netherlands it is not yet normal to have free Wifi.

Room Tip: Some, but not all rooms have air-conditioning.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were looking for a quiet hotel within driving distance of water. This hotel is about 30 min to the North Sea and 45 min to Ijsselmeer (Makkum) The Makkum beach is nice, and especially suited for smaller children due to shallow water. It wasn't overcrowded, we had space to lay out all our stuff with the next people at least 3-5 meters away.
Back to the hotel: we booked a 5-night stay including two 3-course dinners and breakfast each morning. We received a welcome drink which we took on the nice patio/veranda (which due to the nice weather, was also used for breakfast). Besides the absolute quiet (with a nice park to walk in), one of the best things about this hotel is the food for dinner. I believe the chef is trying to get a Michelin star and I hope he will achieve this some day. The portions were a bit small, but the presentation and the food itself was absolutely fantastic. We had to pay for drinks for those 2 meals, but the prices were OK. We booked one of the suites and there was plenty of space. The only thing that was a bit strange: despite the size, the closets were a bit small (and only 7 hangars) - my wife took up most of the space for hanging up her clothes ;-)
We had a problem with the AC the first day but the hotel manager (a very nice gentleman, part of the very friendly staff) had it repaired and it worked fine for the rest of our stay. We had a very nice bathroom with a full bath and a seperate shower. Along with 2 wash basins, we didn't have to block each other when using the bathroom, which was very nice. Only minus point here: the toilet is in the bathroom behind it's own door. But there is no window and no (active) ventilation :-(
The hotel has it's own little swimming pool and sauna and spa. We only used the pool. The water was too warm for me (seemed like over 30° C), for my wife it was just right. The area could use some renovation, however. The nice thing was that we were practically alone. Very few people used it, so it was nice to cool off (outside temp was anywhere between 28-35 that week) every day.
WiFi was free, but the signal was pretty weak in the suite, it could only be used on the groundfloor in the lobby and maybe in the business rooms one floor up (we were 2 floors up from the lobby).
Breakfast: as mentioned above, was outside on the veranda, which we did almost every morning as the weather was mostly beautiful. The buffet was good, but nothing spectacular. Only orange juice the whole week (no apple, no tomato, just OJ!). One day we had to wait for bacon to be refilled (at 9:00, when breakfast is 8-10). Normally the waitress should see that on her own. But otherwise, the service was very good and friendly. Fresh fruit every day was also nice.
Here is my overall impression: On a scale of 1-10, including the location, quietness, sleep comfort, food, friendliness, etc, I would give this hotel 8.5 out of 10. My suggestions would be to renovate the rooms and the pool just a little and make the breakfast a little bit more interesting. Then this hotel would be in the 9 point category.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are quiet, the hotel is in the middle of a park. My mattress was a bit soft (I for...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is a lovely looking estate. The rooms were clean, the furniture was a bit dated, but not shabby, carpet is a bit tired looking. There was a lovely big marble bathroom with a beautiful big bath. Free wi fi. For 60 euro this was a great overnight stop.
The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly and helpful, he seemed to be the only person there and in charge of everything including table service at dinner.
Dinner was a set menu, there were only 2 choices for mains, beef or fish.
Not sure what the beef was but it would have to be one of the best meals I have ever eaten. The whole meal and service was fantastic. I was offered a dessert that they were making as a one off for another guest, not sure what it was but it was made with Friesian sugar bread and was delicious.
Did not have breakfast so cannot comment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed for 1 night only should have stayed longer, what a great hotel yes it may have been a bit faded but the service & food made up for it.
I thought 5 star at a 3 star price, nice & quite in a lovely part of Holland

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed from Friday till Sunday in a 'verwen arrangement' to celebrate my parents wedding anniversary. Couldn't have picked a nicer place. The snow made the whole scenario super romantic! We enjoyed the horse carriage ride around the estate and the spa treatments. The dinners were wonderful, some people may find the service slow but we enjoyed family conversation between the different courses and were in no hurry. The service was excellent and the staff very friendly. We would come back here again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Very peaceful location. We booked this hotel last minute for a weekend to relax. Although advertised as free WIFI throughout the hotel (one of the reasons we booked) WIFI was not available in the bedrooms. I asked at reception what the problem was but they did not know and offered no offer of compensation. So I had to use the public area to work. The room was comfortable and spacious but very warm we had to have the window open all the time. Buffet breakfast at the weekend was excellent but the waiter was unhelpful and not enough tables were set up we had to wait while he made up a table, no apologies were given and in 3 days he did not wish us good morning once. The reception girls were much more pleasant and helpful and attempted to speak English to us which was very accommodating of them. On the Monday morning breakfast was unexpectedly changed to table service and no buffet offered. Very Odd took everyone by surprise. The service was very slow and they could not accommodate us with a soft boiled egg only offered hard boiled?? Very disappointed. They shoudl stick to buffet style. Dining experience was exceptional and the "Surprise Dining" experience was very novel and the food was excellent. The hotel looks beautiful from the outside but a bit tired and shabby on the inside. Carpets are tired and pool area a bit forelorn and very warm.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I was on a business trip to Leeuwarden but due to the annual Dutch Mayor's conference that is held in the town there were no hotel rooms available, hence a twenty minute (c. EUR40) taxi journey from Leeuwarden railway station to Oudkerk was necessary.

The hotel is in a sleepy village and set amongst reasonable size grounds. It is extremely quiet, hence the best night's sleep I have had in 4 years of travelling across Europe with work (it helped that the bed was comfortable). I ate in the hotel restaurant, and although the menu was entirely in Dutch, the very helpful waitress translated everything into English for me effortlessly. It was a very good dining experience all round, with good service ad excellent food.

The rooms was a bit dated, but mine was of a good size and very clean. There was a flat screen TV with numerous TV channels, including the BBC! The bathroom was clean, with a bath and separate shower.

Breakfast was again excellent, with a good choice for which to start the day. Due to the good weather, I took my breakfast on the terrace, which was great.

This is NOT a business hotel, but I would definitely come back here again if I was in need of a hotel in the vicinity of Leeuwarden. It would be ideal for a couples stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business