“Restful Break”

Bull i' th' Thorn
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Hurdlow
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A 15th century Coaching inn, with parts dating back at least a thousand years. An old farmhouse, much enlarged in the 1400s, The Bull i' th' thorn has welcomed weary travellers for many hundreds of years. Set in 15 acres of Peak District Parkland, with 4 Dining Rooms, outside seating, 360 degree views of the Peaks and Valleys, stuiffed with over 10,000 antique and curios items, including 5 GrandFather clocks - one dating back to 1741, with muskets, armour and armamentsdating from the Civil War. A great range of beers, wines, spirits and food, from snacks to gourmet specials from the "Specials Board". Also Medieval Feasts, Ghost Hunts - by arrangement, B & N accommodation in our 4poster and Victorian bedrooms. New owner jane townsend awaits your visit. Please call in and see us!!
Wetherby, United Kingdom
“Restful Break”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at the 'Bull i'th' Thorn for a couple of days this week, for a restful break, which proved to be just that!

We were made to feel welcome by the staff.

As this is such a very old place, there are bound to be things that don't suit todays travellers. I can image its a mammoth task, keeping it going.

We enjoyed the hearty meals, which were so filling, we couldnt manage puddings.

The place was full of character & the manager looked after us well.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AMAZING AS ALWAYS”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We have been visiting this pub for a number of years whenever we are in the area, but this is the first time we have been since the new management took over. We were pleased to see that the Bull still retains its unique character and Mick, the manager, ensures that the atmosphere is cosy and welcoming. The food was lovely as always, we will definitely be back and would encourage anyone else to pay a visit!

1 Thank ashleyjo26
manchester
“Weekend away”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I have just had a weekend on a deal and would first of all say that everybody was really friendly and the food was good and there was plenty of it. The Inn was built in the 1800 and I think some of the cobwebs have been there since it was built, the bedrooms were very mismatched and the bathroom wasn't very clean, I found hairs on the floor from the previous person, the shower was very small, I lost my soap, bent down to pick it up, my head banged the wall and my backside against the shower door. Tea and Coffee facilities were on offer but the Kettle wouldn't fit under the cold water tap, so you had to fill the cup first then pour the water into the kettle. There were dead flies on the window sill, part of the glass was broken on the bedside lamp Also I thought that they would have made the bed and replaced the towels we had used, but no this didn't happen. It was a very quirky place and full if antiques but for me the dirtiness of the place let it down, as far as I am concerned it doesn't cost much to be clean just a little bit of elbow grease. Also doges were allowed in the Restaurant and I don't think this should be allowed as some people might object to eating their meal next to somebody's else dog and I don't think its particulary hygienic.

4 Thank lesleymckay
mickeymansfield, Owner at Bull i' th' Thorn, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thanks for your review. I am sorry, but what kind of person gets down on the floor to look for "...other person's hairs...".
I rest my case
Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Warm welcome, excellent food, quirky place.”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a two night stay at this establishment. The landlord Mick(and his two friendly labs) could not do enough for us and made us feel thoroughly welcome.
The hotel is truly medieval with something more quirky to discover in every nook and cranny of every room from suits of armour to vintage furniture, old black and white pictures of the pub and historical weapons and tools. It's wonderfully interesting as well as clean and tidy and has brilliant views of the surrounding countryside.
The food was some of the best prepared 'pub fayre' we've had. We would not have been disappointed paying good prices for this in a restaurant. You will not go hungry. The breakfasts were good quality and you could request the full cooked version or just toast, cereal or whatever you want.
The location is good being 6 miles from both Buxton and Bakewell. Great territory for cycling and walking.
If you're looking for a luxury spa weekend, don't come here.
If you're looking for a warm friendly welcome with great food and interesting surroundings, this is the place for you.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Anna R
Coventry
“Warm welcome at this unique pub”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Big thanks to Landlord Mick and team for two enjoyable , good value evening meals. The menu is varied with good veggie choices and food cooked to high standard. Service is very friendly and served within a reasonable time.We visited in May and had the same experience. Would definately recommend a visit and will be returning if in the area.

• Visited August 2013