“A unique experience”

Bull i' th' Thorn
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A 15th century Coaching inn, with parts dating back at least a thousand years. An old farmhouse, much enlarged in the 1400s, The Bull i' th' thorn has welcomed weary travellers for many hundreds of years. Set in 15 acres of Peak District Parkland, with 4 Dining Rooms, outside seating, 360 degree views of the Peaks and Valleys, stuiffed with over 10,000 antique and curios items, including 5 GrandFather clocks - one dating back to 1741, with muskets, armour and armamentsdating from the Civil War. A great range of beers, wines, spirits and food, from snacks to gourmet specials from the "Specials Board". Also Medieval Feasts, Ghost Hunts - by arrangement, B & N accommodation in our 4poster and Victorian bedrooms. New owner jane townsend awaits your visit. Please call in and see us!!
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed two nights on 'a deal' and found it superb value for money! As there was a meal included we sampled the home cooking on Friday evening - and although there was a varied menu were quite happy to pay a £5 supplement to upgrafe to steaks - we were not disappointed. Breakfast again, exceeded expectations and was huge and set us up for the day. A truly unique experiece, granted the rooms are not 5 star and pristine but it is a very old building with character. We had the room with a four poster bed and the decor matched the history.

Staff were friendly, helpful and provided a good service as did Mike the landlord.

Another visit is on the cards!

1  Thank Patricia C

Reviewed April 27, 2013

What a find this was! Stayed the last 2nights there and the best nights away for many a year. It was in the middle of the countryside with great views all round. The food was first class and I had a huge pie and soup the first night and fish-n-chips second night. Good choice of beers and ciders, a roaring fire and a wonderful host and staff. The history of the place and all the items around was fascinating. The bedroom had character and the 4 poster bed a treat. Would go back and will look for offers.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Sunday lunch, the best meal of the week! but not at the bull i th thorn. Along with two friends we travelled thirty five miles to sample this restaurant on a groupon deal. Now we have taken advantage of many deals and so far we have been pleased with the offers, In every case we have been able two choose from the usual menu, after all the idea is to get you to come back.
At the bull this was not the case, it was a limited menu just for groupon and consisted of a choice of two on each course, we opted for main and dessert.
the choice was roast beef or roast ham, now the beef was tasty and tender but the portion was one thin slice two or three inches square and the ham was in a chunk not even carved accompanied by two roast potatoes some limp cabbage, carrots, swede and peas served in a dish of water! topped off with cheap packet gravy, the apple crumble was cloggy topping on tinned apple with thick globby custard.
I ordered a bottle of red wine but this was unavailable, the landlord informed me this was because they had sold fourteen bottles the night before!
We were seated in the medieval room and although there were three large tables we were the only diners. Whilst the main dining room was busy, there was space to seat us and then at least there would have been some atmosphere.
Yes the building is medieval in style with interesting items to see and touch and the landlord is welcoming but his service at the bar is very slow. Alas there was no incentive to make us want to return.

4  Thank salmon-tors
mickeymansfield, Owner at Bull i' th' Thorn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for your candid review. I should however had appreciated it if you had addressed your concerns and complaints directlt to me on the day, man to man. But you chose to use a nom de plume instead ion here? Had you told me on the day, I would happily have refunded the £3.60 I receive per person from Groupon. It is not an offer I shall be repating, although we have approaching 90% rebooking from this offer. So some people are satisfied.
Ok
I see that of your 27 reviews on here, most are of "average" with several "terrible", so I guess you are not easy to please haha.
I have printed your review and placed it on the Staff noticeboard, alongside the 13 four star and 12 five star reviews. We can always learn.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Visited this pub for an evening meal whilst staying in Grin Low, Buxton. What a surprise! On arrival the landlord was very friendly and the pub itself is a treasure trove of medieval and quaint objects. The menu was extremely varied and to be honest we were just expecting pub grub but that is definitely not what they serve. The food was amazing and portion size huge and excellent value for money. On speaking to the landlord we discovered they have a camping field and spaces for caravans and campervans all with electric hook up and facilities. This is a definite must for our next visit to the Derbyshire Countryside.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Visited this lovely pub as part of a groupon deal for Sunday lonch, the lovely setting and old part of the pub are a delight; this is where the delight ended. We were informed it was carvery only and kettled into a back, cold function room, the carvery boasted Lamb shank that was sold out by 12.20, dry roast beef and 'nice crumbly turkey', a local term for over cooked dry meet that cannot be carved and has to served by spoon, the vegetables were stodgy and had stood some time,
We had high hopes for the Bakewell tart, and was amazed that a request for with cream came out with ice cream (chocolate ice cream, thank god that wasn't ours), but when it did come out one was hard based and difficult to break, the other burnt at the bottom and burnt caramelised filling.
It was clear some planning had gone in to maximising the profit from the venture, not a showcase experience expected to bring return custom, a poor show.

5  Thank Normsky44
mickeymansfield, Owner at Bull i' th' Thorn, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thanks for this review, although how yopu can rate the atmosphere of this wondeful, thousand year old inn as "2*" gives me an idea of what you were looking for. I am sorry, but you would be happier paying three times the price you paid, at something a Toby Carvery. You paid £11 for two people for home-made soups, puddings, fresh local meats and fresh local vegetables, home-made gravy, fresh cream, a warm welcome and wonderful staff. I think our other reviews are more accurate,
You got a "better than half price" deal. I take on board your comments about the food, but I had my lunch at about 2.30. The beef was NOT "dried-up", the turkey was certainly crumbly, but delicious and moist. The vegetables are refreshed every ten to fifteen minuts. The gravy is made from the meat stock NOT from a jar of concentrate.
Ever heard the saying "....you can't please some of the people ANY of the time..."?
We have a 90% repeat booking history, so I guess this place is just not for you.?