“Welcoming atmosphere”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hurdlow B&B and Inns
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Welcoming atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We booked the b&b through expedia for £75 a night a few weeks in advance, unfortunately the owner didn't get the confirmation but luckily a room was available and the owner made us feel welcome when we arrived unexpectedly.

We had the four poster bed room, which was lovely, the bed was made of beautifully carved wood and all the furniture in the room was exquisite, with a carved wooden wardrobe and a dressing table. The room was chilly, a halogen heater was provided to help with this and a small television was on the dresser (I've yet to see a smart phone bigger but perhaps @Jane_H has access to different technology).

The bathroom was also quite chilly and would benefit from more heat and there was a loud pumping system attached to the sink, but luckily I hadn't got gastroenteritis so didn't spend long in that particular room. But perhaps bathrooms are more important to other users like @jaqueline_w.

My boyfriend enjoyed the full English breakfast and they accommodated my vegan request well and despite having a busy breakfast service as the VW car club was visiting they even cooked my own sausages for me.

The bed was really comfy and the mattress great. The staff were really friendly, really accommodating and the location very good.

The view out the window wasn't directed at the countryside, but the inside of the venue more than made up for it, with a spectacular collection of interesting items including: a suit of armour, a cheese axe and a lit open fireplace in the breakfast area which was very quaint.

All and all we felt the bed and the breakfast were great and we would love to return one day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
St Helens, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We visited for two nights earlier this month on a KGB deal & I loved the place. Its so old, so full
of character & very different from your average hostelry. As previously stated it is in need of some tlc from the brewery, but having said that I was not disappointed. In the bedroom the decor & furniture need updating but the room was cosy, warm, clean & quiet - one of the best nights sleep I've had for a while! The whole building is full of interesting artefacts & different quirky little rooms but the bar is an absolute revelation - so full of all sorts of 'stuff', low beams, a wonderfully warm open fire in a really ancient fireplace and it was very busy on the nights we stayed. The food was excellent, there was a good choice at very reasonable prices & when it came it was piping hot, freshly cooked & loads of it. So much so, that we couldn't even manage a sweet between us even though it was paid for in the deal we were on. Mick & his staff couldn't have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them & I hope to return one day soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Spent three nights and really enjoyed the food and the company. Mike just cannot do too much for you - all you have to is ask! Bedrooms clean and comfortable even if a little jaded. Would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind staying out in the country.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrianS046
Wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just had a fab 2 night stay our room was cosy and clean, the food and service was top notch and Mick, his staff and the locals were friendly and very accommodating nothing was too much trouble. Would most definitely re visit this beautiful medieval inn. Thanks for a lovely stay.
Carol and Jim
Wirral.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

When my partner and I arrived at the bull I' th' thorn the doors were locked and I must admit we were a little worried, however I called the pub and the owner Mike quickly appeared. I would advise calling ahead to let the pub know when you're due as I understand the pub no longer opens in the day due to poor trade ( a massive shame).

The pub itself is HUGE with many tucked away rooms, it would make a fantastic wedding venue & seems somewhat under used at present. The main pub is a delight filled with many interesting articles & the owner is full of stories about the history of the venue.

The pub has 3 bed & breakfast rooms. My partner & I stayed in bedroom 1. It's a gorgeous room with a huge 4 poster bed. Room was well presented & clean. Small tv and tea making facilities included. Also lots of fluffy towels. Beware the loo does make some funny noises though!

We ate in the pub on all 3 nights, the food was of excellent quality & my partner repeatedly praised his sea bass with Thai curry sauce! The portions are huge and definitely worth the money, it appears a shame that more local people don't frequent the pub as its worth a visit. The breakfasts provided in the morning were spot on, huge plates of full English. Mike was very adaptable and let my partner change the breakfast to suit his preferences.

The location of the pub is great.. 10 minutes to Buxton, 25 minutes to heights of Abraham & chatsworth house, as well as gorgeous countryside & quaint villages nearby.

I would recommend this b&b to couples looking for a short break in the countryside and our time spent here was fab! We were very lucky to have a KGB offer £89 for 3 nights including a 3 course meal and breakfasts, at that price it really was an unbeatable stay! Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here on a KGB deal. Only £69 for bed and breakfast and 3 course meal on one night, so I wasn’t expecting too much.
We arrived on Sunday lunchtime and checked in at the bar. Mick, our host, showed us to our room, introduced himself and told us some of the history of the amazing ‘Victorian Room’. If you look on the website, the massive bed is the one in this room. The en-suite bathroom was easily big enough to have a disco in and the towels were huge – proper bath sheets, not like those hankies you get in some places.
We had lunch there. I had lasagne and my husband had a burger. I don’t normally have lasagne in a pub as I like making it at home (and prefer my own!!) but this was lovely with very garlicky garlic bread.
The pub isn’t open on a Sunday night but there is another pub over the road (across a small field) that does food.

We had been told we could have breakfast whenever it suited us so next morning went downstairs for breakfast at 9am and had the full English: a huge oval platter filled with bacon, eggs, 2 sausages, hash brown, tomatoes and beans. Absolutely massive. No lunch for us that day, and on day 2 we just went for bacon and eggs.

Dinner on Monday was equally impressive. My husband went for the mixed grill (he hadn’t had any lunch!) - steak, gammon, ham, lamb chop, sausage, liver, kidney, bacon, tomato ,mushroom,onion rings,hash browns, black pudding, white pudding and a bowl of chips! £17.95
The deal covered us for any starter, any dessert and the first £10 of the main course.. More than worth the extra for the grill. My beef and ale pie had lovely homemade proper pastry, not one of those puff pastry topping. For pudding, we had another drink (not into puds) – just as he said, they were more than flexible.
The pub itself is ancient with loads of interesting things attached to the walls and the ceilings. Mick was a great host and the 2 lovely pub dogs were an added bonus. We really couldn’t fault it.
The area is beautiful with loads of lovely walks straight out the door of the pub. Would certainly go back at normal prices.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have just returned from a great week in Derbyshire, only made better by the interesting "Bull I Th Thorn", so much to see through out the building, and hearing the little bits of history that Mick told regarding some of the bit of furniture and tinkets. Mick made a great host, and along with the help of his friendly staff nothing was too much trouble, the food was excellent, well done to a young chef for coping with the large number of guests eating there. It made an excellent base to stay for visiting the area, and Mick was only too willing to give us help & advice for a great day out. So once again thank you all

Room Tip: Only three bedrooms, all appeared to be of the same standard & all well stocked up each day