“Couldn't fault it”
Review of Bull I' Th' Thorn

Bull I' Th' Thorn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hurdlow B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here on a KGB deal. Only £69 for bed and breakfast and 3 course meal on one night, so I wasn’t expecting too much.
We arrived on Sunday lunchtime and checked in at the bar. Mick, our host, showed us to our room, introduced himself and told us some of the history of the amazing ‘Victorian Room’. If you look on the website, the massive bed is the one in this room. The en-suite bathroom was easily big enough to have a disco in and the towels were huge – proper bath sheets, not like those hankies you get in some places.
We had lunch there. I had lasagne and my husband had a burger. I don’t normally have lasagne in a pub as I like making it at home (and prefer my own!!) but this was lovely with very garlicky garlic bread.
The pub isn’t open on a Sunday night but there is another pub over the road (across a small field) that does food.

We had been told we could have breakfast whenever it suited us so next morning went downstairs for breakfast at 9am and had the full English: a huge oval platter filled with bacon, eggs, 2 sausages, hash brown, tomatoes and beans. Absolutely massive. No lunch for us that day, and on day 2 we just went for bacon and eggs.

Dinner on Monday was equally impressive. My husband went for the mixed grill (he hadn’t had any lunch!) - steak, gammon, ham, lamb chop, sausage, liver, kidney, bacon, tomato ,mushroom,onion rings,hash browns, black pudding, white pudding and a bowl of chips! £17.95
The deal covered us for any starter, any dessert and the first £10 of the main course.. More than worth the extra for the grill. My beef and ale pie had lovely homemade proper pastry, not one of those puff pastry topping. For pudding, we had another drink (not into puds) – just as he said, they were more than flexible.
The pub itself is ancient with loads of interesting things attached to the walls and the ceilings. Mick was a great host and the 2 lovely pub dogs were an added bonus. We really couldn’t fault it.
The area is beautiful with loads of lovely walks straight out the door of the pub. Would certainly go back at normal prices.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have just returned from a great week in Derbyshire, only made better by the interesting "Bull I Th Thorn", so much to see through out the building, and hearing the little bits of history that Mick told regarding some of the bit of furniture and tinkets. Mick made a great host, and along with the help of his friendly staff nothing was too much trouble, the food was excellent, well done to a young chef for coping with the large number of guests eating there. It made an excellent base to stay for visiting the area, and Mick was only too willing to give us help & advice for a great day out. So once again thank you all

Room Tip: Only three bedrooms, all appeared to be of the same standard & all well stocked up each day
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank I R
Reviewed July 30, 2013

At first I wondered what kind of a place we had chosen for our KGB voucher - isolated and no-one around for our Sunday evening check-in. But after phoning the landlord Mick to let us in we went back in time!! The bar is full of antiquities; I spent ages looking around at the collection. There was even a replica skeleton! The restaurant was closed on Sunday evening - we knew this and arrived after having had a meal, but so was the bar! But Mick had given us a key and told us to help ourselves to whatever we wanted to drink from the bar, telling him the next day what we had had!
We were there for 3 nights so when we did have a meal it was very good and huge portions!!! Also the breakfasts were huge and very nice. My only complaint was there was no fruit, cereal or yoghurt, just traditional bacon, egg etc and toast.
We had some very interesting conversations with Mick who runs the pub and the campsite with very little help.

Room Tip: There are only 3 rooms
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Bull is a fascinating little pub in a superb part of the country. Ideally positioned for easy access to a great many pretty little villages and interesting towns. Mick is a most congenial host and he made sure that we were happy throughout our stay which was complimented by a very accomplished chef for the evening meals. Our room was clean and comfortable and well furnished and quite adequate for our needs. Good value all round.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Recently stayed in room 3, my girlfriend's birthday weekend, it was a surprise get away and last minute idea didn't expect to find such a fantastic pub/hotel with so much history and the photos on the internet don't do this justice. Absolutely fantastic weekend which was all thanks to Mick and the staff can't say thank you enough for making us feel welcome and comfortable.

The breakfast was more than enough, and a couple of extra requests not too much trouble at all, the room we stayed in had a lovely four poster bed ( which did earn extra brownie points) my girlfriend loved, with a real old traditional warm feeling added to it, the bathroom was plenty big enough and very clean and tidy.

Really had a fantastic time, will definitely be returning and fully recommend this little gem of a stay to anyone , my only problem was I couldn't stay longer.

1  Thank colin m b
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We went on a kgb deal which was super value for money.The landlord was very friendly and helpful and the food was good.There were 3 real ales on draught,I tried them all,all well kept.There are all manner of old artefacts in the bar area.As well as swords and guns etc.there are also various farming implements and items whose original purpose has been lost in the mists of time.It is however time that Robinsons Brewery, the owners, lashed out on redecorating.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Apologies for doing this report really late but note I have not forgotten the experience!
What a magical place! It’s a bit like being in part of a medieval castle, the bar area being wood-panelled and crammed full of antique artefacts of all kinds. You get a taste of this before you go in with the figures over the entrance. Two of the rooms have stately home type furniture, the other has more simple antique style. We had the simple room and the bed was both comfortable and warm (we were here in very cold winter weather) all rooms have great views.
There were a few little wrinkles but mostly you could forgive these for the atmosphere. The only thing that really let it down was the shower but I’m sure that has now been fixed for the main season.
We stayed here three nights and ate in every night as we so enjoyed the first meal and it was great to sit by the fire afterwards, not having to drive back from elsewhere. All the food is freshly cooked and the portions are more than adequate for healthy appetites. The fish and chips on the Friday was not as good as the previous meals. The puddings are real English puddings, lovely light texture and large portions. Good quality real ales to go with it.
Can’t not mention the really warm welcome we had and the helpfulness and amusing conversation of Mick and the staff.
We found the position of the inn excellent, not in a conurbation but not far to go to find several interesting country towns and there’s lots to do besides walking. Don’t miss the otters and owls. The pub has a games room if you have young people to entertain.
Please note your mobile will not work from the carpark, you need to go up the road 200 yards.
And if you are coming out of season, the pub is understandably not open all day, so please do the landlord the courtesy of giving an eta in advance, overnight guests will be let in at any time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samantha B

Been to Bull I' Th' Thorn? Share your experiences!